XP Remote

Does anyone know how to control a remote PC with a tool such as VNC if both computers are connected to the internet via a local broadband service provider and both using WindowsXP

I am desperately trying……so far with no success, to help my girlfriend, currently overseas, with regular software configurations on her laptop. We both use home broadband providers in (france and the uk).

I have tried WinVNC to no avail. Of course it was easy to use testing it at home with PC’s on the same LAN. But am puzzled as to how this can be configured to work with 2 PC’s on different LANS and Service Providers.

Can WinVNC or ANY other software product anywhere in the world (microsoft or otherwise) be used to gain remote control over the internet???

I am struggling to see why this is so difficult given that access to all IP info on the remote system is obviously readily available to me.

I would really appreciate any suggestions with this “problem”.

Thanks in advance. Frustrated JL!

As far as the software there are several different kinds you could use, but let’s stick with the free ones. If both machines are windows based and I'm assuming they are, you could use the built in Remote Desktop Connection. The only problem with that is the computer you are trying to connect to must be running Windows XP Professional. If that is the case, let me know and I will post specific directions for Remote Desktop Connection. Otherwise your best bet is VNC. Below are a list of generic steps for configuring remote access software, just incase you don't use VNC, but they should still work with VNC.

Step 1:

If the computer you are trying to connect to is behind a router/gateway, I suggest giving it a static LAN IP address, this is necessary for step 2. If it is not behind a router/gateway, meaning it connects directly to the Internet, then ignore this step and read step 2 b.

Step 2:

a. If your computer is behind a home router/gateway you will need to forward the port(s) that your remote access software uses, to the static IP addresses that you gave your computer in step 1.

b. If the computers are not behind a router/gateway, but are behind some type of software firewall, you will need to add the port(s) to the exceptions list on the firewall.

By defaylt VNC uses ports 5900 to 5906 on the server (the one you are connecting to) and 5800 to 5806 on the viewer (the one you are connecting from) but you might want to double check the ports for your specific version of VNC just incase.

Step 3:

This step is optional, but since you are connecting to a remote computer over the Internet I highly suggest it. The computer you are trying to connect to most likely has a dynamic IP address which means every now and then it gets a new address from the ISP. This becomes a problem when you are trying to connect to a PC with remote access software by IP address, because you have to find out the new IP address of the PC each time it changes. Fortunately there are free services known as dynamic dns services that allow you to map a dynamic IP address to hostname that will never change, this allows you to use the hostname to connect to the PC. Once again depending if your remote computer connects directly to the internet or is behind a router/gateway, there are different options.

a. If the computer is not behind a router/gateway you will need to download a dynamic dns software client. Once such client is No-IP. Go to their website http://www.no-ip.com/ and create an account. After creating the account, you will need to go to the download section and download the client. Install the client and follow the directions to configure it. Now simply enter the hostname into your remote access software's connect to field.

b. If the computer is behind a router/gateway you will need to configure the router to do dynamic dns updates. Most popular routers such as Linksys and Netgear support this. You will have to consult the directions for your specific router. One popular service for this is Dyndns. Go to their website http://www.dyndns.org and then create and account. After you create an account and login, go to My Services. Then go to My Services and Add Host Service. After adding the host, now go to the router and configure it to update to the dynamic DNS service by entering your account information. Once again consult your specific router's instructions. Now simply enter the hostname into your remote access software's connect to field.

Once all these steps are completed, and you have your remote access software installed, the remote connection should work. However if it doesn't , post back and we can figure it out.

Edited by darkfiber1010

Thank you all for replies to my postAs we both use window xp Remote Assistance seemed like the easiest solution. I read the documentation and tested it with 2 pc's at my end and works fine. However, whe my girlfriend starts the Remote Assistance page via the Help & Support centre in XP she is repeatedly told that MSN messenger is "Not Installed"!!!

This is bizzare since we are both using and communicating with MSN messenger (current version) even while attempting this connection. I have tried reinstalling messenger on both machines to no avail.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And special thanks to Darkfibre1010 for the detailed response.

JL

on her firewall make sure that traffic coming in on port 5900 is forwarded to her ip (if if her ip is being NAT by a hardware firewall or a comp acting as a gateway) if not if its just a software firewall then just opening port 5900 maybe enough....not very secure tho, to best secure this its good to specify a source ip (in this case your external ip)

thanks

p.s and also ensure that only destination port is 5900 since source port could be any port at all

Edited by eyeball

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thank you all for replies to my postAs we both use window xp Remote Assistance seemed like the easiest solution. I read the documentation and tested it with 2 pc's at my end and works fine. However, whe my girlfriend starts the Remote Assistance page via the Help & Support centre in XP she is repeatedly told that MSN messenger is "Not Installed"!!!

This is bizzare since we are both using and communicating with MSN messenger (current version) even while attempting this connection. I have tried reinstalling messenger on both machines to no avail.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And special thanks to Darkfibre1010 for the detailed response.

JL

If you Want to use "Remote Assistance" you can use it with Windows Messenger just make sure to Check all this options:

1.Control panel / system / remote / "Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer"

2. enable exceptions for remote assistance & remote assistance-windows messenger and voice in Your FIREWALL

3.On WM click on start remote assistance