MCE 2005 activation question

First, I want to let you guys know that I did try to search. I just wasn't able to find answer.

So please be kind to answer my question if you know it.

I have a HP branded computer and have also purchased a MCE certified TV card.

So far, I have used OEM version of Windows XP Professional SP2 with OEMBIOS.* files (OEMBIOS.BIN, OEMBIOS.CAT, OEMBIOS.DAT, OEMBIOS.SIG) from HP recovery CD to avoid the activation process without a hitch.

Now I am thinking about purchasing OEM version of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

And I wonder if the method I have been using with WinXP SP2 would work with MCE 2005.

I mean is it possible to copy OEMBIOS.* files from my HP Recovery CD and make modified OEM version of MCE 2005 CD with these files to avoid the activation.

Does anyone know if it would work?

Thank you in advance.

Right files, wrong product key: the one one the COA on the bottom of your Dell/HP/Compaq is a dud. For preactivated install you use the files mentioned, along with the product key in winnt.sif on your Dell/HP/Compaq install cd. Works for me, with extra benefits...

@getwired: if you get a preactivated cd, like most recovery cds, the product key on the box can not be activated over the internet. regular oem cds work as usual, but recovery cds need a special product key. this way the oem product key on the box can't be reused. microsoft changed their policy on this a couple of months ago.

Edited by jdeboeck

There are two types of product keys that Major OEMs use the first is a generic key that is used in the factory and if the OEM provides reinstall CDs in the winnt.sif file. these keys are permanently blocked from activation by Microsoft. The second type of key is that found on the COA sticker these are blocked from internet activation but can still be activated by phone. The OEMBIOS files serve two proposes they prevent a specific OEM's CD from being used on another manufacturer's PC and they tell the OS that activation is not needed. If you build a MCE CD set using a Pro OEMBIOS set the install will work because when the OEMBIOS files are checked againstg the BIOS the installer doesn't know which edition of Windows will be installed (this is not determined until after the CD Key is entered). Once windows is installed the BIOS check will fail and you will be required to activate.

If you build a MCE CD set using a Pro OEMBIOS set the install will work because when the OEMBIOS files are checked againstg the BIOS the installer doesn't know which edition of Windows will be installed (this is not determined until after the CD Key is entered). Once windows is installed the BIOS check will fail and you will be required to activate.

But you must use the corresponding PRO product key. *wink*

So the OEMBIOS check does not fail and activation is not required. *wink*

The OEMBIOS check only checks the hardware and the product key. *wink*

Not whether it is Media Center Edition or regular. *wink*

Windows does not check the product key to see if it is Media Center Edition. *wink*

It checks... something else. *wink*

Enough winking. I used Microsoft's Product key for preserving Preactivation.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/oempreac.mspx

And I used the OEMBIOS files that came with my recovery CD. I was puzzled myself

post-8065-1130714373_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdeboeck

Were the OEMBIOS files that you used from a Pro or MCE CD? Either way based on my understanding of the install process you should have gotten a Pro install and not a MCE install. I will try this myself to see what happens.

I tried again using the Pro key mentioned in http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/oempreac.mspx and like I expected, I got a preactivated Pro install. I than tried using a key I found on a Toshiba Preinstalled MCE and I was able to get a preactivated MCE install (and validation didn't require any additional info).