Q891711 + U891711 = Unofficial MS07-017 + MS05-002 .ANI fix

MDGx

MDGx,

I am pleased to report that this update also works on Windows ME. You also apply it like a normal update, you don't need to kill stmgr using coolkill. Just installed it on a virtual pc and it works. Maybe you could pass that on to the author and modify the installer so it installs on ME.

the_guy

Thanks for your feedback.

I will relate this to the author.

Hi - Just to report that (with Gape's 2.0.2 SP and MDGx's 98SE-MP10) I found missing button images for Media Player, as per the attached. Restarting the app resolved the problem
Did you notice this when trying to play online or offline?

If this happened while online [over the internet], it might have been because a particular server was either lagging, timed out or had maintenance/repair/backup issues [?], because some of the graphics/icons you see in the WMP window [while online] are located on remote [internet based] servers.

And because the problem was fixed after restarting the app, that is one more reason to believe a remote server was the cause.

PS:

I assumed this was related to installing 98SEMP10 [WMP10 files from WinXP].

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

I'd have to agree with that being due to a slower server response. If you look closer... the button placeholder images are the typical red 'x' like that from IE. *Smells IE in WMP*

Edited by Chozo4

Hi MDGX,

After installing U891711 with 98KRNLUP a week ago on a very old Intel CPU and board (as part of a fresh install that included the installation of the ME options in 98SE2ME - wow, thanks!), I can now report an issue which may or may not be related (people more qualified to make the judgement no doubt will :) ).

I've experienced quite frequent BSODs while using Winamp v.2.81 Lite (with the Ampesizer skin found here at Radified and the MAD MP3 decoder plugin). They usually occur when clicking Winamp's OPEN icon that opens the file-browsing window. The BSODs have reported OEs at 0028:C16AE309 in VXD ctpci9x(01) + 00055D9 called from 0028:C16B11FC in VXD ctpci9X(01) + 000583CC, and have reported fatal ODs at 0028C0003ABD in VXD VMM(01) + 00002ABD.

Again, I have no idea if this relates specifically to the U891711 patch, and so really no idea if this is helpful or not. But there you go. :)

I'd have to agree with that being due to a slower server response. If you look closer... the button placeholder images are the typical red 'x' like that from IE. *Smells IE in WMP*
You're right, WMP is very tightly linked to IE, after all, WMP streaming is done thru IE's engine. :(
Hi MDGX,

After installing U891711 with 98KRNLUP a week ago on a very old Intel CPU and board (as part of a fresh install that included the installation of the ME options in 98SE2ME - wow, thanks!), I can now report an issue which may or may not be related (people more qualified to make the judgement no doubt will :) ).

I've experienced quite frequent BSODs while using Winamp v.2.81 Lite (with the Ampesizer skin found here at Radified and the MAD MP3 decoder plugin). They usually occur when clicking Winamp's OPEN icon that opens the file-browsing window. The BSODs have reported OEs at 0028:C16AE309 in VXD ctpci9x(01) + 00055D9 called from 0028:C16B11FC in VXD ctpci9X(01) + 000583CC, and have reported fatal ODs at 0028C0003ABD in VXD VMM(01) + 00002ABD.

Again, I have no idea if this relates specifically to the U891711 patch, and so really no idea if this is helpful or not. But there you go.

I have sent your bug report to the patch author.

I'll post the answer here.

Thanks for your time and concern.

Again, I have no idea if this relates specifically to the U891711 patch, and so really no idea if this is helpful or not. But there you go. :)

Get rid of Winamp 2.81 lite, bristols. it's too old. upgrade to the latest version of Winamp lite which is v5.11. Winamp Lite 5.11 fixes a ton of bugs, including security problems found in previous versions of Winamp. I have Winamp v5.11 lite on my 98se & ME machines.

I might give the unofficial 891711 win98/me fix a try. do I have to remove microsoft's 891711 patch first before installing the unofficial one, MDGx?

As the original Microsoft KB891711 v2 is exactly the same for 98SE and ME, I am trying U891711 on Windows ME.

So far I have noticed no problems. The only "problem" there is, is the same as with the original one. There is one more executable and one more dll running in the system and it cannot be closed (with a task manager) without soon terminally crashing the entire OS.

I have also downloaded Winamp lite 2.81, the ampesizer skin and the mad plugin. I have no errors when clicking on the open file button while U891711 is running.

However, I have also the same question as hp38guser :

Have you a link to a "malformed" image or so that should be blocked by this new patch?

As the original Microsoft KB891711 v2 is exactly the same for 98SE and ME, I am trying U891711 on Windows ME.

So far I have noticed no problems. The only "problem" there is, is the same as with the original one. There is one more executable and one more dll running in the system and it cannot be closed (with a task manager) without soon terminally crashing the entire OS.

I have also downloaded Winamp lite 2.81, the ampesizer skin and the mad plugin. I have no errors when clicking on the open file button while U891711 is running.

However, I have also the same question as hp38guser :

Have you a link to a "malformed" image or so that should be blocked by this new patch?

Winamp lite 2.81 is NOT available anymore at the Winamp.com site, eidenk. GET WINAMP LITE 5.11, NOT WINAMP 2.81!!!! Come on, dude! Winamp 2.81 is so old that it is prone to new security threats and v5.11 fixes these new security holes in Winamp.

I dont understand why bristols and eidenk want to use a very outdated release of Winamp as I, on the other hand, have no problems with the latest release of Winamp [5.11], with U891711 installed.

note to MDGx, you havent mentioned the U891711 patch on your software essentials page, yet as I have checked this noon time. will you list it there? also can you remove Tihiy's TI891711 fix off your page. as the author of the U891711 patch said, TI891711 offers "limited protection" and it is very weak and incompatible with 98fe & ME.

-erpdude8

Edited by erpdude8

Hi everyone,

Somebody [the author prefers to remain anonymous] released a new unofficial patch for Windows 98 + 98 SE described here [MS05-002]:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms05-002.mspx

Unofficial patch download [109 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/U891711.EXE

First, please make sure to read the text file [English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/U891711.TXT

To install this unofficial patch on Windows 98/98 SE, just run U891711.EXE and then reboot.

This is a beta release, which means needs testing on as many computers as possible.

Please run this patch on your Windows 98 or 98 SE computer(s), and then post your comments/bugs/tips/suggestions/etc in this MSFN forum, or you can send me feedback: the blue E-mail link.

This patch can be uninstalled from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> "Unofficial Q891711 Patch (remove only)" -> click the "Add/Remove" button.

I will post this patch as permanent replacement for the official MS patch [see http://www.mdgx.com/files/U891711.TXT for details] if this unofficial patch proves to fix the MS05-002 security vulnerability better than the official MS patch.

Many thanks in advance for your time and concern.

This U891711 patch needs to be revised, MDGx. It will NOT install under WinME (a black eye for ME users). :no: The U891711.TXT file says "Unofficial Windows 98 (FE)/98 SE/ME Q891711 Patch" at the top of the text file but the EXE patch says "Unofficial Windows 98/98 SE Q891711 Patch". Make it install under Win98 FE, SE AND WinME! And edit the title of the U891711.EXE patch to correctly say "Unofficial Windows 98 (FE)/98 SE/ME Q891711 Patch".

Edited by erpdude8

Hi MDGx

Did you notice this when trying to play online or offline?
I was playing a local wav file. I don't use Media player for online (much if ever)
I assumed this was related to installing 98SEMP10 [WMP10 files from WinXP]

Your 98SEMP10 automated install was applied some time ago and I was reporting this as it was the first time I'd seen this problem having installed this unofficial 891711 patch

Any ideas ?

Hello erpdude.

GET WINAMP LITE 5.11, NOT WINAMP 2.81!!!! Come on, dude! Winamp 2.81 is so old that it is prone to new security threats and v5.11 fixes these new security holes in Winamp.

I dont understand why bristols and eidenk want to use a very outdated release of Winamp as I, on the other hand, have no problems with the latest release of Winamp [5.11], with U891711 installed.

Although not wanting to encourage the thread to stray off-topic, I will still reply, just briefly, since you don't understand why. I installed Winamp 2.81 Lite rather than the latest version because, unless I am mistaken, the older version uses fewer system resources than the newer one. This particular setup is using quite old hardware (a 233 Mhz CPU, with only 128 MB of RAM) so the minimal use of resources is a pressing concern, I'm afraid (the Ampesizer skin is an indulgence ;) ). I wanted to try out the MAD plugin using Winamp (I know that there are other media players with small memory footprints), and honestly I can't say that the old Winamp sounds any worse than the newer version (having tried it). I'm aware that subsequent versions of Winamp benefit from security fixes, but fortunately I don't use Winamp to play any Internet-based/streamed content or files that have not been previously virus-scanned, so the security issues are not a concern at the moment.

Back on-topic: eidenk, that's good to hear, insofar as it's a point for U891711. The BSODs I experience are sporadic (say, 1 in 3 times), and usually happen at the same time as a file is being played.

Edited by bristols

Winamp lite 2.81 is NOT available anymore at the Winamp.com site, eidenk. GET WINAMP LITE 5.11, NOT WINAMP 2.81!!!! Come on, dude! Winamp 2.81 is so old that it is prone to new security threats and v5.11 fixes these new security holes in Winamp.

I have installed 2.81 lite to see if I was able to reproduce the above described error. I was not.

As for Winamp itself in general : I have 5.11 (but the latest is 5.111 I think) and also 2.95 installed. Each with a different plugin setup so that they both load relatively fast. 2.95 whose gui is fast to load has plenty of plugs. 5.11 whose gui is slower has few plugs. Security vulnerability was with version 5 and automatic download of modern skins I think.

This U891711 patch needs to be revised, MDGx. It will NOT install under WinME (a black eye for ME users). The U891711.TXT file says "Unofficial Windows 98 (FE)/98 SE/ME Q891711 Patch" at the top of the text file but the EXE patch says "Unofficial Windows 98/98 SE Q891711 Patch". Make it install under Win98 FE, SE AND WinME! And edit the title of the U891711.EXE patch to correctly say "Unofficial Windows 98 (FE)/98 SE/ME Q891711 Patch".

In the meantime you can install it by hand if you want to test on ME. All you need to do (easiest way) is install the original MS KB891711 for winME and replace the two files (in C:\Windows\System\KB891711) by the new ones from U891711 before rebooting. Files can be extracted from U891711 by using 7-Zip or other archiver that supports extracting files from those MS installers. There shouldn't be any System File Protection issue as the files are simply added and install scripts are identical for 98SE and ME (I am not sure at 101% of course as I don't have SFP anymore on my ME system).

Edited by eidenk

Back on-topic: eidenk, that's good to hear, insofar as it's a point for U891711. The BSODs I experience are sporadic (say, 1 in 3 times), and usually happen at the same time as a file is being played.
Have you tried reinstalling your Creative Labs soundcard drivers ? Or install others if any available ? I think this is possibly your problem as your error happens in ctpci9X.vxd.

bristols:

This the author's answer to your question:

The BSODs are most likely not related to the installation of U891711.EXE.

I ran a quick search for 'crash' and 'ctpci9x.vxd' and, among other

reports of crashes caused by ctpci9x.vxd, found this at

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-31164.html

Try to upgrade the sound card driver.

I also suggest the following to narrow it down a bit:

(A) Uninstall U891711.EXE and run WinAmp, reinstall U891711.EXE and run

WinAmp

or

(B) Temporarily stop KB891711.EXE as follows

(1) Boot up PC as normal

(2) Close (but do not kill) KB891711.EXE using EndItAll

(3) Run WinAmp, open file-browsing window, etc.

(4) If no BSOD, close WinAmp, run '%windir%\system\kb891711\kb891711.exe'

(5) Run WinAmp again, open file-browsing window, etc.

Hope this helps.