My Key wont work after Slipstreaming

jenanay

I have the same problem. I bought all my copies of WIN XP while they were either "Original" or SP1. Now I've learned how to slipstream SP2 and I find that my cd key is no longer accepted. Must be some legit way to fix this other than going through the fussiness of reinstalling with original cd and having to update all over again.

Any suggestions?

I am sure there could be a way. But you know you could download the SP2 and burn a cd along with all other ancillary software you might use later on. So just in case you dont find a way to legally enter the key in and slipstream SP2 into your cd.

I think I finally have an answer. I build my own pcs so I always buy my OS as a retail package. The machine I'm trying to load now with slipstreamed XP (made from retail package original disk) is a laptop that came with an OEM version of windows XP. Seems that MS has a different key code scheme between the two. My understanding now is that if I slipstreamed my OEM version it would work for my laptop and maybe only that laptop. Retail seems to work on any of my machines as long as I use the correct unique key code. So for now I'm loading with original cd and adding SP2 and other updates the old fashioned way.