LOW RESOURCES APPZ

yeoman

I like Azureus....works like a charm.

:o:unsure::wacko:

How on earth is Azureus a "low resource app"?!?!?

And I use Adobe Acrobat pro 7 cause it is an excellent tool. Sure expensive but **** it gets the job done. OOo exports to pdf but the pages are jpegs so sometimes it is kind of an inconvenience.

Acrobat Pro 7 is actually pretty lightweight when you use Acrobat Speed up on it. There are features of Acrobat that I don't need all the time, so when I want a PDF reader, I disable all plugins except for Search, and it starts in under 1 second.

I like Azureus....works like a charm.

And I use Adobe Acrobat pro 7 cause it is an excellent tool. Sure expensive but **** it gets the job done. OOo exports to pdf but the pages are jpegs so sometimes it is kind of an inconvenience.

Foxit pdf reader is not an alternative to Adobe Acrobat pro 7 ,but to adobe acrobat reader.

And ofr Azureus you think it is low ressoure application ??? :w00t:

I wouldn't use uTorrent if you are looking for a client that actually has a working UPnP interface :)

I really like BitSpirit

Ive never actually got the whole point of screaming about how much resources apps use, unless of course your computer is still in the stone age.

For instance, Azureus .....

Ive used it, and its gotta be one of the most featured torrent program to date. Yes it uses more resources than most clients but I would rather have features than none. In terms of processing and memory usage, Azureus has never bought my system to its knees.

I wouldn't use uTorrent if you are looking for a client that actually has a working UPnP interface :)
UPnP is a horrible protocol and should be banished. It's for lazy people who don't want to take the time to properly configure their network. Any properly secured network would have UPnP blocked at the first entry to the network.
Ive never actually got the whole point of screaming about how much resources apps use, unless of course your computer is still in the stone age.

Ive used it, and its gotta be one of the most featured torrent program to date. Yes it uses more resources than most clients but I would rather have features than none. In terms of processing and memory usage, Azureus has never bought my system to its knees.

Well... considering that one of my parent's computers is a PIII 700MHz with 128MB of RAM, having lightweight apps is a must. I couldn't even begin to imagine running Azureus on a machine with less than 256MB of RAM. It would most definately bring the system to a crawl. On my computer at home (1GB RAM), the difference in RAM usage between Azureus open and downloading 3 torrents (my internet maxes out at 140kbps) and closed is almost 400MB.

UPnP is a horrible protocol and should be banished. It's for lazy people who don't want to take the time to properly configure their network. Any properly secured network would have UPnP blocked at the first entry to the network.

Well... considering that one of my parent's computers is a PIII 700MHz with 128MB of RAM, having lightweight apps is a must. I couldn't even begin to imagine running Azureus on a machine with less than 256MB of RAM. It would most definately bring the system to a crawl. On my computer at home (1GB RAM), the difference in RAM usage between Azureus open and downloading 3 torrents (my internet maxes out at 140kbps) and closed is almost 400MB.

UPnP isnt for lazy people at all, and how does UPnP not configure anything properly?

Last time I checked, UPnP actually detects which device requested the port and properly forwards the correct port to the right device. I think you would find thats much safer than what most sites recomend those who have not got a clue how to forward a port manually. Like telling users to tell the router to allow and LAN device to connect to any WAN IP.

Then once the port is no longer used, its closed. Instead of being opened and forwarded the whole time.

Like I said, light weight apps for computers within the stone age. The fact is there are lot of users on this forum who worry so much about resources, when they have the resources there to use. Like people ripping the crap out of their windows install with nlite to fit it onto a computer which should not be running Windows XP in the first place.

Lets also not forget that hard disks are probably the component of todays PC which sticks to Moores Law. You can get 250GB + hard disks now for 60 pounds over here.

and do you really want to know why everybody gets high memory usage with Azureus half the time? Its because your average Joe and quite alot of people who think they know alot about how torrents work think

"OMG! More connections = faster download! Must have more connections than there are peers and seeds!"

When each TCP connection has 512kb non-paged pool overhead with it, and lets not forget also that Azureus comes with alot of plugins enabled by default that can be disabled.

UPnP isnt for lazy people at all, and how does UPnP not configure anything properly?

Last time I checked, UPnP actually detects which device requested the port and properly forwards the correct port to the right device. I think you would find thats much safer than what most sites recomend those who have not got a clue how to forward a port manually. Like telling users to tell the router to allow and LAN device to connect to any WAN IP.

Then once the port is no longer used, its closed. Instead of being opened and forwarded the whole time.

The problem with UPnP is that it allows for unwanted applications to access your computer very easily. You get a malicious program on your computer, it can open UPnP ports, and then whoever's on the other end can access your computer as they please. Without UPnP, they would need to know your network configuration in the first place. You're much more secure by disabling UPnP connections on your router, blocking them with your firewall, and manually forwarding the ports on your router.
Like I said, light weight apps for computers within the stone age. The fact is there are lot of users on this forum who worry so much about resources, when they have the resources there to use. Like people ripping the crap out of their windows install with nlite to fit it onto a computer which should not be running Windows XP in the first place.
So the computer I described is from the stone age? It does the trick quite nicely for my parents and is a lot more stable than anything that it would have come with when it was first purchased.

Low resource apps are also nice for me because they run quickly and unobtrusively. I can have uTorrent running in the background, and I would never notice the difference when I'm using VMware or Office or any other programs that I use. I definately can't say the same for Azureus.

I said it before, if two programs do the same thing in the end, why use one that takes up more resources? It's simply a waste.

Ok ok so azureus is not a low-resource app but for all the functionality I can get out of it and the fact that it does not bog my machine down at all, meaning I can run Far Cry and have Azureus running in the background along with Trillian Pro, Google talk, Hello, and a few windows of the browser open...I am coo.

Sure uTorrent is way lighter...but then again so if Foxit compared to what Adobe releases but I dont always read pdfs, I need to make them as well whether it be from web pages or from other sources....so I have Adobe Pro...sometimes its features and not the fact that is is lightweight drives my choice. But yes Azureus is not lightweight compared to uTorrent. I agree.

We don't "rip" windows w/ Nlite, to put it on machines that shouldn't have "XP" in the first place.

We "rip" Windows because it's crock full of S*** ;)

ANd one needn't worry about resources even w/ a low end PC, so long as it has at least 256MB ram for XP. CPU is almost inconsequential, monitor it sometime, unless yer doing heavy duty tasks or apps get frozen, it stays < 10% with the odd 100% spikes.

And w/ 128MB of ram, you'd be better off with Win98 or Win2K.

Edited by Crash&Burn