Free VM To Test Unattended!

Okay, so I've already posted about this in the Software Hangout forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...0&gopid=407609&

VMWare just released a new application called VMPlayer. It's a limited version of VMWare that only plays pre-constructed VM's. It'll work with VMWare, M$ VirtualPC, and Symantec Live Recovery (Not 100% sure about that last one). And here's the kicker...IT'S FREE!

So here's my idea. Someone who has a legit VMWare Workstation (Me) makes a new VM. It should be configured to boot from an ISO file, and should be blank in regards to data on the virtual HD. Then, we host that VM (If it's blank it's not even 3KB of disk space) for all our people to download.

Once they download and install VMPlayer, then they can use this blank MSFN VM...but for what? Well to test unattended installs of course!

I've only had a few minutes to test it, but it looks like it's good to go. There is an issue of the path to the .iso being absolute, so we'll have to decide on a proper location for everyone. I guess the root of C: would be the best...also, we'll need to decide on the file name. Probably something like MSFN.ISO would be good. Then all you would have to do it take your finished ISO and rename it and put it in the right place. After that, the VMPlayer would boot the VM, which is pre-configured to boot the MSFN.ISO image...at which point you can test your unattended...FOR FREE!

This could be a big help to those of us not fortunate enough to have a full VMWare. Any ideas? Suggestions? Etc?

I've attatched a blank VM, that is configured to boot C:\msfn.iso if you all want to play with it. It may give you some notice about a UUID, I would just create a new one. I don't think it's an issue really...and if you haven't read the other post, you can get the VMPlayer here:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Let's see what we can do with this!

MSFNBeta.rar

I'm fairly new to the VM world, haven't tested out the Trial one from MS I downloaded yet, but I thought for a decent testing you needed a sole partition for the VM...or am I mistaken in that regards...or does this do/support that?

I'm fairly new to the VM world, haven't tested out the Trial one from MS I downloaded yet, but I thought for a decent testing you needed a sole partition for the VM...or am I mistaken in that regards...or does this do/support that?

A separate partition for VMWare only is an option, not a requirement. It can have a nice effect on the speed. ;)

The test VM I attatched is setup with a 4GB VHD, but it's blank. I could make a bigger one if need be, for those really big installs (DVD).

And you don't need to have the VM on a seperate drive/partition, unless you are looking to optimize for speed.

Edited by InTheWayBoy

Maybe you could post a handful of files...all the same specs

actually, can it be in a folder? Could you set it up so it expects it in:

C:\MSFN\MSFN.iso?

That would rock, as you could use ANY drive that had enough space...

ie I could mount my X drive to C:\MSFN

as is, my C drive has like 2gigs, sometimes 3, but been testing lately w/ 2

Or 3 files, one with that folder, and perhaps a C:\ and D:\ file?

That would give ppl lots of options :)

Not to be TOO Greedy :whistle:

Edited by Crash&Burn

Hi Everyone! :hello:

Ok, I have an Extensive Unattended DVD near completion (As if we are EVER done).

I am also new to VM as well. I have been using a spare machine for testing. I am VERY eager to find something simple to test an Install.

So, how easy is it to get this going? Can I just install this program and go? Will it use part of my Existing HDD and create a Virtual Drive to install to? Will it remove the Virtual Drive after done testing? Does this affect an existing system in any way when installing the new test? :wacko:

I need this all clarified before enbarking on this Journey if you know what I mean. :thumbup

Edited by X-Savior