best socket 939 motherboard with SLI?

Clint

I found this at Anandtech :

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2617

that is the Asus A8R-MVP that are supposed to be a budget mobo and did OC BETTER than the DFI board...also have HD audio and crossfire...hmmm, maybe I should return my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and go for this?

I also have a 3DConnect X800 GTO coming in, maybe the ATI chipset based Asus will like it better than the Nvidia based DFI?

Any thoughts?

I found this at Anandtech :

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2617

that is the Asus A8R-MVP that are supposed to be a budget mobo and did OC BETTER than the DFI board...also have HD audio and crossfire...hmmm, maybe I should return my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and go for this?

I also have a 3DConnect X800 GTO coming in, maybe the ATI chipset based Asus will like it better than the Nvidia based DFI?

Any thoughts?

Unless you are wanting to play "Crossfire", I wouldn't bother changing the motherboard. One of the bad things about reviewing an electronic product is its inconsistency. Everyone is going to have different experiences with it. Anandtech may have been lucky to get a "Golden Sample" one, and when you get yours it may overclock like crap. Who knows; the only way to really verify if it does overclock well is to see if more reviewers are getting the same result. If you want to switch over to ATi's chipset, wait for the RD580 to come out, so you will get 2 16x PCI-e slots instead of the current RD480's 2 8x PCI-e.

very true, must be hard to resist sending a throughly tested cherry sample to a reviewer for any producer...I will hold on to my DFI until the better RD580 chipset has been out for a while and we can see some viable results popping up.

Also got some disappointing info regarding that 3DConnect X800 GTO...apparantely the failurereports on unlocking those extra 4 pipes have increased dramatically just the last couple of weeks...aint that just typical...I ordered it 3 weeks ago and now when it's finally here...I will see on tuesday when I get it in my hands... :angry:

Also got some disappointing info regarding that 3DConnect X800 GTO...apparantely the failurereports on unlocking those extra 4 pipes have increased dramatically just the last couple of weeks...aint that just typical...I ordered it 3 weeks ago and now when it's finally here...I will see on tuesday when I get it in my hands... :angry:

The problem with Connect3D's X800GTO is that the conversion is a hit or miss. Apparently they seem to be using the R423, R430 and R480 core on the X800GTO so I hope you are lucky enough to get the R423 or R480. When you do get the card, don't try to change the BIOS yet. Install the card and the drivers, run ATITools, and click on Settings. That should tell you what core it has, and other miscellaneous information. If it has a R423 core, you should be able to BIOS mod it into a X800XT. If lady lucky is really on your side and a R480 core shows up in your hands, it's a X850XT.

The problem with Connect3D's X800GTO is that the conversion is a hit or miss. Apparently they seem to be using the R423, R430 and R480 core on the X800GTO so I hope you are lucky enough to get the R423 or R480. When you do get the card, don't try to change the BIOS yet. Install the card and the drivers, run ATITools, and click on Settings. That should tell you what core it has, and other miscellaneous information. If it has a R423 core, you should be able to BIOS mod it into a X800XT. If lady lucky is really on your side and a R480 core shows up in your hands, it's a X850XT.

hehe, well...bad luck for me...it wasn't moddable when I had it tried yesterday...seems like the lady wasn't on my side this time :}

hehe, well...bad luck for me...it wasn't moddable when I had it tried yesterday...seems like the lady wasn't on my side this time :}

By chance, what core did you get?

Well, I really don't know coz it was tested some 1000k from my home...I bought 2 dirtcheap through a wholesale channel....but after that test my brother did for me I decided to sell mine right away...a friend here decided to buy the tested one anyway and that is on it's way here...so I will know in a couple of days...

...(I got them REALLY cheap, otherwise I wouldn't go through all this trouble ;))

Edited by Clint

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly cant believe you guys think DFI makes good motherboards.

Again, subjective opinion. Some people had good experience, some didn't. I am one of those who didn't, but I'm not going to beat DFI to the ground just because I had a possible dud.

Well, I have finally got through testing and tweaking my setup....and I must say that the DFI board totally rocks!!!!

I have reached 400mhz HTT stable in sp32 with all standard volts...and that is the sickest OC I have seen...

My Opteron do reach 3Ghz stable but I don't like volting it so I sat it @ 2.8 and turn DOWN the voltage to 1.360 instead :whistle:

I now see temps like 32 idle and 38 sp2004 torture (did 8 hours)

Superpi1m reached at just under 30 sec....not bad on 2.8Ghz :thumbup

...only need a couple of new sticks...the Kingston HyperX 400 does 2.3.3.5 1T @ 466..(2.7 volts)

All and all this is a happy dude... :D

Well, I have finally got through testing and tweaking my setup....and I must say that the DFI board totally rocks!!!!

I have reached 400mhz HTT stable in sp32 with all standard volts...and that is the sickest OC I have seen...

My Opteron do reach 3Ghz stable but I don't like volting it so I sat it @ 2.8 and turn DOWN the voltage to 1.360 instead :whistle:

I now see temps like 32 idle and 38 sp2004 torture (did 8 hours)

Superpi1m reached at just under 30 sec....not bad on 2.8Ghz :thumbup

...only need a couple of new sticks...the Kingston HyperX 400 does 2.3.3.5 1T @ 466..(2.7 volts)

All and all this is a happy dude... :D

400 HTT? Man thawt sounds extremely high. Download CPU-Z and get a snapshot of the main tab. ;)

There ya go ;)

...aint that load cmos a excellent thing...just load that crazy config and a sec later your back on it!

I lied about two things it turned out, LTD voltage is raised to 1.3 volt and CPU is on stock...I run different config lately with CPU volt turned down a bit...must be that high HTT that demands CPU to run at stock.

temps are accurate, idled for some time after SPi32 is done...but CPU never exceeds 38C

post-50457-1134626497_thumb.jpg

ya, that proc shpuld be hitting 3ghz pretty easily

im trying to get my 170 to 2700 and ill prolly be needing at least 1.55v...

Yup, already been @ 3.1 but that required tooo much voltage for my taste.

Better stay on 2.8 and it's cool 'n' quiet.

That cmos reloaded makes it so easy to switch between configs anyway.. :yes:

Those dual optys seems to be hard to get up there, kinda expensive to burn as well... :}