best socket 939 motherboard with SLI?

Clint

It's time to throw out that Intel 775 and go AMD, I'm just fed up with the heat issues...

Give me tip about which motherboards I should consider, I have a 6600gt card and are thinking maybe buy another one and go SLI....

I'm not a big fan of extreme OC, just a stable board that will be problemfree and that has enuff gadgets and decent setting possibilities...kinda like Asus quality ;)

thanx

Edited by Clint

how much money? pci-e or agp? so u need a cpu,ram, and mobo?

Oh, should have been more precise....PCI-E, a valuable CPU that would match or exceed my present (P43.4), and some good memorysticks that has decent latency at a decent price...price is allways a concern ;).

CPU and sticks are the easy part, the hard part is to find me that board that will serve me well...for some reason AMD has represented "not allways and nessesary good quality" for me.. ;)

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ATX S939 NFORCE4 SLI DDR 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard (A8N-SLI PREMIUM)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...anufacture=ASUS

$231.76 (CAD)

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard NFORCE4-SLI S939 DDR 2XPCI-E16 2PCI-E 3PCI SATA RAID LAN Sound 1394 (A8N-SLIDELUXE)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?maj...&minorcatid=107

$210.90 (CAD)

Just for a price comparison, yer basically paying 70-90$ more for SLI -->

ASUS A8N-E MOTHERBOARD ATX S939 NFORCE4 ULTRA DDR PCI-E16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA RAID GBLAN SOUND

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...anufacture=ASUS

$142.02 (CAD)

If you go to ncix.com, and just click motherboards on the left, will get a list

7 of the top 10 are ASUS ;)

Course I did a lot of research before buying mine, ASUS was one of the first

to do NFORCE2, due to financial reasons by the time I actually bought my box

I had to re-research...Still went w/ ASUS but was the ASUS K8N-E Nforce3, instead of a similiar deluxe board for the barton chipset.

Edited by Crash&Burn

asus is not the best tho

1.dfi

2.msi

3.asus

this is for s939 boards

The worst thing you can do with motherboard is attempting to state the 'best'. Arguably the DFI makes great overclockers, but no motherboard is the best. The correct word to use would be 'recommended'. Some people have good experience with Asus, some with DFI, and some with EpoX. Unless any of them perform exceptionally better than the rest (Which in this case none of them does, in terms of memory bandwidth, Overclocking potential and stability), there really is no top dog.

I would have to disagree with MSI being considered a recommended motherboard. I had a K8N Neo4-F and I was somewhat dissatisfied with it. Attempting to run dual channel RAM in one turn command rate is nearly impossible, and it seems to enjoy locking up occasionally, and I had to RMA 2 boards before I got one with a working on-board ethernet. I had a DFI KT600-AL board back in the days when I had an Athlon XP system, and it was the worst motherboard I've ever had. The Gigabyte GA-7N400 board I replaced it with was night and day in terms of performance.

@ Thai3g_Eclipse

Here here! DFI is good from what I read while doing research/reviews - it was just all the little extras that ASUS packs under the hood that really swayed me. And DFI's always looked to be ASUS ripoffs quite frankly w/o all those extras. The OCfanboys love them though.

Epox if I recall correctly are awesome boards, but you pay thru the nose for them.

Not to mention that the ASUS board easily TwinBanked the cheaper Samsung 512MB RAM chips (~$50 CAD each), I was almost convinced to get OCZ or something along that lines for 2 or 3 times as much.

But really I'm not willing to pay 2 or 3 times as much for computer parts to squeeze an extra 5fps out of a game ;)

Have used both MSI and ASUS and honestly you wont go wrong with either tho I think the ASUS has a slight bit higher performance and more features for oclocking I think. DFI right now tho is very very high quality and very popular with the oclocking crowd as was pointed out for the high stability and high clcoks that can be achieved.

DFI is the best, in all cases and categories and asus is is a complete piece of s*it right now, their motherboards suck. Just go with DFI, ones that won that mobo knows what I'm talking about :)