where to put swap file ?

grafx1

better than a seperate hard drive imho, would be a raid 0 strip just for your page file, along with another raid 0 strip for your operating system :P

but yes, one page file would be better than 2, in the case of 2 hard drives, but if you had 3 hard drives, then i guess 2 page files would be better than 3 in that case.

I think there is a chance, that it would try to use the page file on the first drive letter, even though your program might be trying to load off the same drive at time.

the whole reason for a page file on a seperate drive imho was because it wouldn't be in use, by your program at the time.

Edited by gdogg

I work in performance, core OS. Been doing it for years, back since Windows 2.0. I think I might know a thing or two about Windows :).

That's all good then. I was just playing devil's advocate.

btw... You seem pretty new here. I don't think I welcomed you. :hello:

Better be nice Zxian, or cluberti will rat us out for all the hacks were doing to Windows B) ... "Make the square peg fit in the round hole dammnit!"

:lol:

I like that one...

ok, i have a `small` problem.

i have my swap file set to 512/512 (min/max) on my system drive.

until 2 days ago i had 1 gb ram.

i got another gb of ram yesterday thinking i could improve my performance when i run a lot of programs / games / etc.

my problem is this : even with 2gb ram and 512 mb swap, after i start a few applications, my swap file goes up to 1 gb while i still have 700-800 mb of ram free.

i tried everything, and i can`t make window use up my ram first and then go to the swap file.

i do not ask for 0 swap file usage and all ram, but almost 1 gb of ram free while i have 1 gb of swap is retarded.

anyone can provide me with some help / solutions ?

Not sure if this will solve the problem or not. But go into your settings, and change the pagefile, reduce it to 0 min max on your system drive & [apply], then make it 500 min/max on a different drive [apply]

reboot. Put it back on your system drive min/max 500, and reduce the other partitions to 0/0.

If you only have one partition... then just turn it off completely 0/0 and reboot.

Then put it back to the size you wish...

It's possible after adding more RAM windows has taken back control of managing your swap.

@ cluberti

Mmm...

1. Thats the XP resource Kit. I run win2K.

2. Win2K didn't even support "Junctions" out of the box w/o its own ResourceKit. So Sysinternals made one.

But please prove me wrong, that Win2K supports hardlinks, that would make my day ;)

And quite frankly if you own something calls "Windows 2000 Professional" You would expect the tools required to run it, would come with it. Not have to go back to the dealer and buy a shiftStick so you can get your car out of 1st gear.

Well I'll make my own day,

fsutil from a WindowsXP disk will work on Win2000.

syntax: fsutil hardlink create <newFile> <targetFile>

or: http://www.kuhniverse.com/ftp/freeware/CreateHardLink.exe

syntax: CreateHardlink <newFile> <targetFile>

... So now how to make Windows 2000 crash, and test and see if I get a dump if I hardlink C:\pagefile.sys S:\Swapfile.bin ... hehe.

Edited by Crash&Burn

@gogusrl-There are other threads on this topic and I recall in one of them, someone said that some programs and XP require some swap space or they might not function properly. The explanation was beyond me. I recommend you do a search for them and you will find the answere there.

DL