New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

FDV

Some usefull tools that maybe included in SHELL.INF:

- Rasphone - may be usefull if one gets rid of Network Connection Wizard ;)

- IExpress Wizard - simple archivator that comes with Windows.

- Registry Editor - this one may be questionable because ordinary user doesn't need it and it may be even dangerous sometime (but if he uses your fileset he should be smart enough :D

SHELL.INF

[version]
signature="$Windows NT$"
ClassGUID={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
LayoutFile=layout.inf

[DestinationDirs]

[DefaultInstall]
ProfileItems = Calculator, Paint, Rasphone, IExpress, Regedit

[Calculator]
Name ="Calculator"
CmdLine =11,,calc.exe
SubDir ="Accessories"
IconPath =11,,calc.exe
InfoTip ="Performs basic arithmetic tasks with an on-screen calculator."

[Paint]
Name ="Paint"
CmdLine =11,,mspaint.exe
SubDir ="Accessories"
IconPath =11,,mspaint.exe
InfoTip ="Creates and edits drawings, and displays and edits scanned photos."

[Rasphone]
Name ="Rasphone"
CmdLine =11,,rasphone.exe
SubDir ="Accessories\Communications"
IconPath =11,,rasphone.exe
InfoTip ="Choose existing or create new Network and Dial-up connections."

[IExpress]
Name ="IExpress Wizard"
CmdLine =11,,iexpress.exe
SubDir ="Accessories\System Tools"
IconPath =11,,iexpress.exe
InfoTip ="Creates a self-extracting / self-installing packages."

[Regedit]
Name ="Registry Editor"
CmdLine =10,,regedit.exe
SubDir ="Accessories\System Tools"
IconPath =10,,regedit.exe
InfoTip ="Windows Registry Editor."

[Strings]

Edited by Oleg_II

Oleg_II, thanks, added the edits to shell

Squeeto, logo contest is for HFSLIP :) somewhere around here there's an URL with the Photoshop elements, such as Exroydal the Wizard, etc.

I am just waiting on optionalizing defragger and html subsystem and then i'll issue the new fileset, which had maybe 4 fixes.

BTW yes indeed the IE shortcut is needed to create the QL dir, Oleg_ii... i will put in another shortcut in addition but i am tempted to leave the ie shortcut which i can probably be talked out of.

FDV :hello:

OK! No big deal with it (shortcut). And don't forget to place KILL_MRU.EXE in startup - I'd prefer a CMD but now I know that some people are afraid of CMD windows splash - it make them think of some kind of worm :blink:

I sent you PM about CABbing. I found the error on my side again. TommyP took care about everything :thumbup

Edited by Oleg_II

dirtwarrior :hello:

I always thought that the speed and low memory usage depend on settings not of files first of all. Look at FDV's fileset before - it didn't even comment files in TXTSETUP.SIF but the system was as fast as it's now (it maybe even faster now but because he implemented more tweaks recently ;)

As for footprint - my source is 134MB now and I've just started removing files B) If you mean what files takes much place - look at DRIVERS.CAB first (my is 17,5MB now :yes: and I have not deleted support for any software only some drivers).

But again - the registry settings are even more imporant for the fast system.

Edited by Oleg_II

Oleg_II, as Mr. TP points out, I can't CAB the files. I am not sure what the solution is to the problem / situation you mention, as running EXPAND on any file ending in _ will still work. In other words, my files as far as Windows thinks are compressed (at 0%).

Also, I'll look into placing mru into startup. How is this, at the end of SHELL.INF?

[mru_killer]

Name ="MRU Eraser"

CmdLine =11,,mru_kill.exe

SubDir ="StartupCommon"

IconPath =11,,mru_kill.exe

InfoTip ="Deletes Most Recently Used items and empties data collection Reg keys."

Did not ultimately use Gosh's version. tweakui has a 'delete ALL histories' function, set it once and you're all set. Also, hers included settings for programs that with the exception of winrar and media player are somewhat rare. So, mine uses pretty much the stuff not covered already by either tweakui or Gosh's file.

Squeeto, give me that reg in INF format and I'll put it in, but commented... it would confuse n00bs and veterans alike, so I will add it in but you'd have to uncomment it.

test set updated ( www.vorck.com/data/test-set.zip ). Some registry bugs fixed in IE.IN_, notepad added to QL, mru_kill added to startup (I think).

Edited by fdv

FDV :hello:

I admit I was wrong :blushing: I just can't get used to see the compressed files that are not compressed :rolleyes:

I sent you Gosh's MRU_KILL.INF haven't you received it? You may also check her site for it. I have only one program that writes in MRU so far and it's in develloping progress so I can't add any other settings.

As for placing it in StartUp I'd suggest use your idea about Wellcome.exe and HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT folder.

If you want do it through you fileset only you may consider placing it somewhere in WINNT through TXTSETUP.SIF and make a link in StartUp with one of the INFs.

Squeeto

You can use HFSVPK - place your REG, INF or CMD with tweaks in it and you are done!

In fact I'd like to take out some FDV's tweak from his set and place one INF in HFSVPK. It would be more personalized (for example I prefer "Command Promt Here" not "dospromt" :whistle:

But it's for HFSLIP users and there are a lot of his fileset users that don't use HFSLIP and that settings may be of use for them.

dirtwarrior

It is not an easy question ;) Are you using FDV's fileset? If you are just open his IE.INF and explore/compare with the original.

System loads a lot of DLLs in its memory. And it's especially about using IE and some BIG programs like M$ Office. Some drivers like to place monitors in memory that are not needed for most users. Some programs like running when Windows starts (you probably even don't know about it's running now). And so on. All these takes the memory of your computer and it becomes less responsive.

If you find out how to disable this your computer starts working fast.

Explore! And let us know ;)

Edited by Oleg_II

FDV

Sorry :blushing: you copied my version of SHELL.INF but I removed SYSOCMGR.EXE entry from there.

If you need it you may add it again:

[SysocAdd]
Name ="Windows Components",0x00000001
CmdLine =11,,sysocmgr.exe /i:sysoc.inf
SubDir ="Accessories"
IconPath =11,,sysocmgr.exe

And add in

ProfileItems = SysocAdd

FDV

Everything works fine :thumbup But I had to make some changes:

I changed in SHELL.IN_

SubDir ="StartupCommon"