New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

* Things were getting hot and heavy with a different GF and I told her I didn't love her, for some funny reason she said that's ok, someday you will.

OK, after throwing this out there . . . I have to ask. Did you? :whistle:

I think he used RunOnce.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

that was good ;)

I just couldn't resist.

It was one of those times when someone just throws themself on the ground and shouts "Shoot me!".

DId you get my email about IZarc (Your instructions refer to it as LZarc) refusing to run because HHCTRL.OCX wasn't present (removed for a good reason, apparently)?

And it's W2KSP4_EN.EXE, btw.

And don't even ask me whether anal-retentive is hyphenated or not.

WWWebb.

no, i do know it's in IE.INF and it is something in the first addreg section that is either turning it off or killing the OS's ability to display it. i thought i had it figured out, so i removed the line i thought it was (the one that says " ; turn webview off" but that wasn't it, so it seems it was / is probably more than one line at work screwing things up. still working on it, sorry to say! it's really the only hurdle left before i adopt this as my new fileset... then i start work on windows 2003...

FDV, Dumb comment, but the original shell.inf file has a reference to the quick launch. In fact, it appears to be the only INF that references quick lanch.

Also, will you test out the hfcleanup to do the IE cleansing for 2k3?

tommyp -

the original shell.inf file has a reference to the quick launch. In fact, it appears to be the only INF that references quick lanch.
it references it but doesn't actually do anything related to it, if i am seeing things correctly. the only reference in the file is in the Strings section. maybe this is the file where it used to be set up, but doesn't appear to be the case anymore.
Also, will you test out the hfcleanup to do the IE cleansing for 2k3?

yes but at first i am concentrating on cleaning out the biggest most difficult monster of all, the 2003 registry.

DId you get my email about IZarc (Your instructions refer to it as LZarc) refusing to run because HHCTRL.OCX wasn't present (removed for a good reason, apparently)

see, this is odd. HHCTRL needs other files to work. and izarc just needs this one and not others?

i guess alone it isnt too much of a problem. i mean, technically, it is exploitable, but without MSHTML.DLL maybe it's not exploitable in any meaningful way so perhaps its no worry. you could plug it into place in system32 and not have any worries i am sure.

you know i have to admit. i am not a big one for pop music, etc but i grabbed the new madonna for my wife and i'm listening to it and it's great imo. just sayin'. totally random.

i'm thinking i'm fairly done with the fileset.

remember that MRU killer a few pages back? an exe that deletes history and such? if you folks send me registry keys (either .reg or .inf format, .inf preferred) of registry values that delete histories for other programs (say for example irfanview or whatever) i'll add them. it's easy.

that stupid icon is impossible. so, i decided to be clever and i gave it a path to the fake IE which will launch your alternative browser (FF, Moz, Opera, kmeleon, whatever).

guess thats it for now.

Edited by fdv

DId you get my email about IZarc (Your instructions refer to it as LZarc) refusing to run because HHCTRL.OCX wasn't present (removed for a good reason, apparently)

see, this is odd. HHCTRL needs other files to work. and izarc just needs this one and not others?

i guess alone it isnt too much of a problem. i mean, technically, it is exploitable, but without MSHTML.DLL maybe it's not exploitable in any meaningful way so perhaps its no worry. you could plug it into place in system32 and not have any worries i am sure.

I did exactly that in the installation I did before trying the new fileset with TommyP's 31-OCT version of HFS:IP, and it worked. However, being an old VMS hand and mistrustful of Redmondian Borgware, I decided to not do that this time and use 7-Zip instead.

Regards,

WWWebb

Edited by WWWebb

random note. ieuinit.inf is what actually creates the directory for the Quicklaunch. i have edited IE.INF so that it does not destory Quicklaunch anymore, great, but nothing ever appears there in the QL toolbar because the whole "microsoft\internet explorer" directory does not get created in Documents and Settings. so, there is space on the toolbar, and the computer thinks Active Desktop is still installed (a side effect of choosing to keep quicklaunch capability). so i have to adapt the inf but it appears to hinge around some IE dll files. so i probably will end up at a brick wall. i need to create a directory with an INF file i guess, that would be easiest, then that's done.

when i create one with a filecopy -- in other words, when i have a filecopy in an INF and tell the INF to copy a file into that directory, windows obviously creates it. fine. but it creates a second account. so you end up with "Administrator" as well as something like "Administrator.54675423". so a filecopy op will not fix this. it's really confusing. quicklaunch appears intimately connected with IE. and i like it so much, too.

i have not used my sp4 fileset in AGES. did i read that that does not kill quicklaunch? if not then obviously i made a booboo somewhere when i updated the fileset :whistle:

ps no one has delkey info for me to add to the MRUKILLER.EXE file?

I chanced upon a QuickLaunch thread on MSFN today, but it was only discussing XP, an older thread that had originally started back in 2003 but had recently gotten a new reply. From the contents of that thread I found mention of a registry key, which I located in my Windows 2000 registry.

Please take a look at that thread, and I'll upload the 3 keys I found in my Win2K registry under that path - perhaps this may be of some use.

Edited by Crash&Burn

i have not used my sp4 fileset in AGES. did i read that that does not kill quicklaunch? if not then obviously i made a booboo somewhere when i updated the fileset :whistle:

Your statement is correct. I'm not sure which set I used "time before last"- [last time I used the set which is the subject of this thread]- I think it was the last one listed on the vorck.com page (where the Sept note about bugfixes is) it didn't kill the quicklaunch toolbar.

Have a happy Thanksgiving,

WWWebb

Quick Launch

I can't get it working :(

I found in my archive a previous set - fileset2 - and when just injecting in W2k SP4 it also doesn't help (I created the folder Quick Launch in %MyProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer and placed a shortcut in it too).

WWWeb

Do you still have that set? Maybe it would be a good idea to send it to FDV to explore? Could you describe how you turned on Quick Launch on it?