New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

[OT] Nirsoft apps :thumbup , Stumbled across those a year or 2 ago... I've never found so many cool, useful, and tiny apps all done by one person before. Not including Sysinternals - since those apps generally aren't small, and really I only find a handful of his tools useful - though the ones that are - are very much so.

[/OT]

Sorry just had to comment ;)

WWWebb

(WWWebb:) You can't unSwiss the cheese

:thumbup I love this

Feel free to use it, with proper attribution, of course. GNU licensing terms apply.

(WWWebb:) FDV, 'fess up.

Okay.

I sometimes read MSFN and Slashdot at work.

I once did something in the back of a cab with a lady I'd just met (introduced by a mutual friend 3 hours previously) and we both didn't care that the cabdriver tilted his rearview and drove slowly and watched.

I once gave $20 to a homeless person and told them to buy the very best booze, not junk.

I once ate a can of the boss' soup at work.

When I was about 17 I lied to my mom and said that the pipe cleaner she found in my pants pocket was just a keychain.

You're my kind of guy, Frank.

PS- what's up with you and the EMTs?

I was one back in the ancient days when people bleeding all over you was only a laundry problem.

You've got more files showing up in your graphic showing the contents of your SYSTEM32 directory than I get when I download everything on the list and pick out the extraneous stuff.

oh, definitely. I had to take a screenshot to show what I meant, after all... But I didn't want to link to every utility. The reader should use Google for some of those to chase them down, like for example, ActiveXHelper. Great util, but I didn't feel like making links to the six dozen programs I personally use that others might find no real use for <laughs>.

(WWWebb:) Also, the written instructions still contain some ambiguity (I think, or else it's just me). I'm going to fine-tooth them and send you an email later this week.

Cool. I get a lot of emails from people who comment that they find them logical and well-drawn out, but if you feel something can be improved, I'll listen, without a doubt.
I was working from the October 10th version - there was a mysterious /MODIFIED directory without reference to how the files in it got moved to someplace where they'd actually get used. It seems you've cleaned the instructions up somewhat. I'll follow up on that later.

BTW the creation process using your test files and the 10/31 HFSLIP displayed no errors when I installed it.

It didn't give me the opportunity to choose the target partition, though, and it didn't ask for license key information.

(I now have four Windows installations of varying vintage on this system. Used to boot Red Hat, too, but took it out for cleaning.)

BTW, all - November patch (the_guy has been PM'ed)

Thanks for the heads up on the Patch of the Month.

WWWebb

hee hee, i'm getting a kick out of this confession thing you've got me and os2fan2 started on :P yeah i'll admit i used to use OS2 also, heh heh

random factoid: microsoft explorer stores a lot of stuff you've done in the registry. read about it here:

http://www.velasco.com.br/explorer_spy.txt

i am attaching a "most recently used killer" INF. save, right click, install. all it does is empty out the keys that m$ stores data in of things you do. it actually made my machine faster -- at work i'd been using an install for over a year, never got around to cleaning it out. also attached is an IEXPRESS repackaged version for you to run at startup if you like (place in startup).

PS- what's up with you and the EMTs? I was one back in the ancient days when people bleeding all over you was only a laundry problem.

read the original thread, did you? glad folks still read thoroughly! :thumbup

i guess you spotted that post about one evening of mine restraining some coke head :P i guess i do ems maybe as self punishment, HAHA... perhaps to make up for all those sins o' mine, like using a non-microsoft OS now and then (don't tell bill g!)...

mru_killr.inf

mru_kill.exe

Edited by fdv

hee hee, i'm getting a kick out of this confession thing you've got me and os2fan2 started on :P

random factoid: microsoft explorer stores a lot of stuff you've done in the registry. read about it here:

http://www.velasco.com.br/explorer_spy.txt

i am attaching a "most recently used killer" INF. save, right click, install. all it does is empty out the keys that m$ stores data in of things you do. it actually made my machine faster -- at work i'd been using an install for over a year, never got around to cleaning it out.

Funny stuff.

No comment on the avatar?

Do you know how hard it is to get a 115 pound yellow Lab to wear a headpiece and sit still long enough to get a halfway decent photograph of it?

Our main weapons are surprise and fear, fear and suprise...our TWO main weapons are...

ok at first i'll admit i thought the avatar was a clever photoshop until i clicked on the profile name and saw the larger picture :lol:

x-pert

Test set 3 works great thumbup.gif

Just only problem - Quick Launch toolbar whistling.gif

i have narrowed this down to my IE.INF file. something in it is destroying QuickLaunch. i'll keep investigating, it's only a matter of running the INF with one section at a time.

Edited by fdv

it's only a matter of running the INF with one section at a time.

It took me 8 installations (about 5 hours in total) to found out wich line from one section only prevents me from using one of my favourite program :)

If you are mostly sure it is in IE.INF I'd like to help (maybe somebody else also :rolleyes: Let us know what sections are left and how you do this - commenting the whole section or commenting line by line?

About this MRU_KILL.INF - do you think it will be usefull to re-write it in CMD format and place in Startup folder so that it runs every boot?

oleg_ii - you forgot to confess something :D:P

It took me 8 installations (about 5 hours in total) to found out wich line from one section only prevents me from using one of my favourite program
? what is the line?
If you are mostly sure it is in IE.INF I'd like to help

sounds good. what i do is run virtual pc, make a hard drive of fixed size -- 700mb. then i install windows 2000 without my files, shut down, and copy the virtual pc file (.VHD). then i restart the virtual machine and right click on IE.INF and select "install." i go section by section, not line by line. i do this by going to the [DefaultInstall] lines and making new sections (in other words, DelReg = delreg1, delreg2, delreg3 etc and then i add [delreg1] etc sections below so that i can delete the registry keys section by section and NOT all at once. if i screw up, i just shut down the virtual machine, delete the .VHD file, and recopy the copy and start again.

About this MRU_KILL.INF - do you think it will be usefull to re-write it in CMD format and place in Startup folder so that it runs every boot?

actually go back to the post, i put up an EXE version that i made with IEXPRESS so people can place it in their startup group. i'll modify it if people have other keys for other programs they want to add. for example i dont run microsoft media player, but if someone gets me those keys, i'll add it. maybe i can collect enough key data to make this little INF delete every piece of registry data collection from as much software as possible...

FDV

2. This line in delreg section may prevent from running some programs. Commenting it will at least let run WebCraft program (two files commented in TXTSETUP.INF will be also required):

HKCR,"CLSID\{8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}"; Microsoft Web Browser

Nope, I mentioned about it two pages ago :P

Wow! You just install once and then run IE.INF! And I commented line by line entries in IE.INF, replace it in the SOURCESS and then install from very first steps! I didn't know IE.INF could be run after installing Windows :blushing:

EXE file is good but CMD could be smaller and easier to edit for the end-user (in fact if you already have INF it's not so dificult to convert it into CMD :)

Confessions...

* My old car wasn't street legal

* Things were getting hot and heavy with a GF and I told her I didn't love her, for some funny reason she wanted to go home after that.

* Things were getting hot and heavy with a different GF and I told her I didn't love her, for some funny reason she said that's ok, someday you will.

Oleg, Can't you just use a runonce command to run the INF at every turn on instead?

TommyP

I thought RunOnce command can be run only once :blink: And if I want it EVERY start I have to do some manipulations befor EVERY turn off.

No problem with that. Just a thought. I'll publish the code when I have some free time B)

By the way, Gosh warned about using this trick so we should be carefull with this INF :)

FDV

When I register MSHTML.DLL during installation (I need it for that program) I'm often getting a message during Shut Down or Restart: WINHTTP.DLL is missing. Do you think it is possible to get rid of this message without placing this DLL in the system32 folder just with a regestry tweak?

Why I'm asking because when you removed IE you probably had similar problems.

Edited by Oleg_II

:thumbup i dont run 2000 but i follow your posts and the fixes tweaks you guys have come out with are amazing like removing ie thats right on,just a curious question after you remove ie can you just install firefox and or opera and away you go? Once again just paying homage to the great strides in this forum.

oh good someone else is going to ask about this too. :P

because you know, i got to thinking maybe she was like that redhead in The Wedding Crashers.

Isla Fisher: Don't ever leave me!

Vince Vaughn: Ever.

Isla Fisher: Good. 'Cause I'd find you!

maybe she planned on making him love her and he had to call the cops! heh heh hee hee hee