New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

x-pert

I have it running just now on a real computer ;)

I've already listed the changes I did:

1. Commented two lines in SYSOC.INF - one is dtc, the other is com.

2 Commented IEXPLORE.EXE in TXTSETUP.SIF (there are two instances, both should be commented).

And I deleted some files from the set that are supposed to run manually like ADD_COM.BAT, DELFILES and two for installing OE and Help support (I do it in other way).

I also have some adjustments for my personal use: I added a few files refferences in TXTSETUP.SIF for some tools (like REG.EXE and similar), I also uncommented 8 files for Help support - I need them to open CHM files. That's all I did with FDV's fileset.

And of course I have a few tweaks in SVCPACK folder but they are not connected with it anyway (just look it again and have not found what can be related to this icon).

Anyone else tried it? Do you have this icon or not?

Hmmmm, just tested with HFSLIP_51017 - no errors, even can't find IEXPLORE.EXE and icon gone from desktop :blink:

Now going to test with HFSLIP_51027 again :)

With HFSLIP_51027 I got errors again and icon is on desktop :wacko:

Edited by x-pert

well i fixed this icon on desktop (i think) and the filecopy error.

icon on desktop CLSID is {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} so i just instruct the system to delete it. i thought about adding hex to make it look for IEXPLORE.EXE but then whats the point. might as well just delete the stupid looking blue "e". i have left the line of code in IE.INF if someone still wants the blue "e", they can have it (and it should point to the IEXPLORE.EXE binary correctly this time).

as for the file not found, it was this... HFSLIPWU.INF calls on IE.INF to execute registry stuff. now that there is a filecopy section in it, it stops with an error. no surprise there. so i'm gonna move that filecopy to AXANT5 probably.

Windows Scripting Host - anyone have an absolute list of all WSH files? my WSH.INF is not preventing this, as it turns out. i think a file is failing to copy over, that's the problem. anyone with an URL? i google but frankly no one really gets into this kind of information on other sites.

testme.inf

Edited by fdv

WSH:: Well this isn't absolute, but the following for sure:

cscript.exe
dispex.dll
jscript.dll
scripten.cat
scripten.inf
scrobj.dll
scrrun.dll
vbscript.dll
wscript.exe
wscript.hlp
wshcon.dll
wshext.dll
wshom.ocx
...(and):
script.fon
...not sure about:
csapi3t1.dll
scripto.dll

BTW I have found a security flaw with the removal ideology... many programs will include files they are dependant on in their installer, instead of linking them. With a ripped win2K this can result in your system being littered w/ old version files, instead of ones that have been re-released and patched by MS.

So suppose I'm just recommending something like INCtrl5 or some other tool to monitor installs and make sure you know what is being dumped into your %systemroot%. And its a vigilance that easily becomes lax.

Edited by Crash&Burn

Can somebody else try to CAB SYSOC.INF from FDV's fileset, "inject" it in the SOURCESS and try to install it? Will it be this error with missing IEXPLORE.EXE and IE icon on desktop? (I'm investigating one thought about what is calling for it.)

x-pert

Could you please have a look at your FDVFILES folder and check if this file is really CABed? Or this file's extention is renamed from INF to IN_? Or you just replace the file in SOURCESS after HFSLIP? And if you replace the files could you please first (before replacing) check the one in SOURCESS - is it CABed and it really the one from FDV's set?

Crash&Burn

You are right. But (I can't be 100% sure) we already discussed replacing SFC.DLL by original one after installing the system. In theory it should turn file protection on again and prevent from replacing system files.

Edited by Oleg_II

Oleg_II SYSOC.INF is not CABed in SOURCESS. I looked at yesterdays's installation source - SYSOC.INF is CABed, maybe CABed SYSOC.INF was the problem for my errors. :blink: Now I will try to CAB and test today's installation source B)

Wait!

Just change SYSOC.IN_ from your yesterdays SOURCESS (CABed one!) with the file from FDV's set.

Of course if you still have this SOURCESS.

If not please pay attantion to this file next time you HFSLIP (I have a suspicion it is not copied to the SOURCESS and you still have an old file - CABed - that calls for IEXPLORE.EXE).

In general:

- if you have in SOURCESS SYSOC.IN_ that is not CABed - there should not be any errors and IE icon;

- if you have in SOURCESS SYSOC.IN_ that is CABed - it is an old file that makes the troubles.

=======

OK, I've made 3 installations with beta-files and HSLIP from October 27.

Changes in files: deleted WINNT.SIF (I use mine), commented IEXPLORE.EXE in TXTSETUP.SIF.

Results:

1. HFSLIP original beta-files - SYSOC.IN_ is not copied to the SOURCESS, error message about IEXPLORE.EXE.

2. Manually "injected" SYSOC.IN_ from beta-files to the SOURCESS - no errors, no IE icon on desktop.

3. HFSLIP re-CABed beta-files - - no errors, no IE icon on desktop.

Edited by Oleg_II

If you just drop FDV's sysoc.in_ either cabbed or not into the finalized SOURCESS\I386 folder, you will NOT run any INF files that hfslip generates. I have a suspicion that the the rollup package runs a code to make the IE icon pop up on your desktop. Try adding this into your installation, like in an INF in svcpack.

HKLM,"Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\InstallInfo","HideIconsCommand",0x00020000,"""%11%\rundll32.exe"" ""%11%\shell32.dll"",OCInstall HideIE"

or maybe FDV can have a post cleanup in his IE.INF file for me to HFSLIP to parse at the end.

Edited by tommyp