New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

@ Saugatak, if FDV's set is removing MSVCP60.dll, that needsta be fixed...That dll is used all over the place. For some very basic "C code" functionality. Don't think Nlite ever ditched that file to my recollection.

It seems to me MSVCP60.DLL is not a part of Windows 2000.

There is only MSVCP50.DLL in the source.

And if I'm not mistaken fdv recommends placing it ins system32 on his site (small utilities).

There is probably some more DLL that may be usefull. Frankly speaking before HFSLIP I only took one DLL from DirectX9 and one from Windows Media 10 for my player. In fact I don't need the rest.

And it's like .Net for nLite - there is a small version that places needed files somewhere and let the program run. I remember I was messing with M$ Office 97 (making it run without installation and it was really easy). I tried make it as small as possible and was watching which DLL it needs and which can be deleted.

If your program is not running on No IE system it is possibly can be run with some files placed alone.

Very possibly, that the -60 file is part of one of their update files, like updating the visualbasic libraries.

I'm interested in Tommyp's new update - from the sounds of it in the other thread should be pretty interesting, too bad theres not a Beta-Sticky downloadables ;)

With the warning: Testing purposes only! heheh.

Interesting. If Oleg is right and "MSVCP60.dll" replaces "MSVCP50.dll", then there are 5 possibilities:

1. M$ update is flawed (this is possible as TommyP has found lots of mistakes in prior updates)

2. HFSLIP is not fully incorporating an update (doubtful)

3. FDV fileset is removing something

4. nLite is removing something

5. combo of FDV and nLite is removing something (most likely)

Hopefully TommyP and FDV can shed some light on this.

oleg_ii

IEXPLORE.EXE can't be found during installation
had this also. not sure whats going on there; i think a problem with my own INF. have a look at the INF too, maybe you'll see an error i didn't?
Just don't know where I could do wrong

you're not -- its the test fileset, remember its not final...

tommyp thanks for the note on fixing the volume with MULTIMED*.INF.

saugatak

c. took out defrag and wordpad
these should be removed already (well, wordpad will be... defrag is now only one line in SYSSETUP to comment out; editing TXTSETUP is no longer necessary.
"System Tools" and "Entertainment" Start folders are empty now. I'm guessing that you're leaving them around so that if someone wants to put something back in

correct. should i remove them, do you think?

installed and ran fine with DTC and COM removed
many thanks, i need to build a list and this forum's my fave place to do that :D
generate a series of non-random numbers

well, we'll leave that out, because i think we all know what type or program that is :P

Windows Scripting Host
my version of this INF only alters the default behavior. i disable because its a security risk. i will look into writing an INF that can maybe maintain security and still allow WSH to work unimpeded.
Not a big deal, but would it be possible to do it automatically?

that's definately the hope -- remember this is a test fileset to work bugs out. i cannot overemphasize how flaky windows can be when twiddling around with its setup files.

Crash&Burn

if FDV's set is removing MSVCP60.dll, that needsta be fixed
as oleg points out, this is a recommended dll, not removed. if you dont find it in TXTSETUP, then it isn't part of windows! (even if i remove something, i will always comment it out so people can see whats getting removed).
1. M$ update is flawed (this is possible as TommyP has found lots of mistakes in prior updates

i would believe M$ has simply overlooked this. i install this file separately with HFEXPERT, personally.

Edited by fdv

FYI: I checked on my NLite only install, and it does have MSVCP50.dll and MSVCP60.dll ..

PS: DId some checking around, found this on microsoft.com:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime assembly, which includes atl.dll, mfc42.dll, mfc42u.dll, and msvcp60.dll.
Not sure which update that is, original 2000 source only has msvcp50.dll

SP4, doesn't have it, and neither does the UR1, or IE6sp1; can't find it in my hotfixes, though many are in that _sfx_0000._p format when unpacked.

Edited by Crash&Burn

Crash, thanks for the good work checking up on this. I'd suggest downloading MSVCP60.dll, renaming it MSVCP50.dll, putting it in HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT folder . . . but that probably won't work because then the MSVCP60.dll won't be registered.

Edit: I confirmed checking SOURCESS and SP4 slipstreamed Win2k that MSVCP60.dll is not in I386. Therefore, it can't be nLite or FDV's fileset because they can't remove something that's not there.

This leaves only 2 possibilities:

1. HFSLIP is not putting in a hotfix from M$ that has MSVCP60.dll (doubtful) OR

2. Other commonly used programs install MSVCP60.dll

I think it's 2. Here's why:

I checked my really old Win2k laptop (Win2k intalled years ago, has 1.5 gigs of $Uninstall$ in WINNT) which is updated to the latest August 2005 updates. This laptop has MSVCP60.dll.

Then I checked the HFSLIP FDV Fileset/nLite Win2k VM on my desktop and to my surprise, MSVCP60.dll was there too!

So I'm thinking, WTF? Did I just make an A$$ of myself?

Then I check my notes on install order and realize that I installed and tested Acronis True Image FIRST, and then later installed Office 2003. Since Windows practically treats Office like a part of the OS and vice versa, I'm betting that Office 2003 installs MSVCP60.dll if it doesn't find it on the system.

Anyway, when FDV and TommyP put out their next updates I'll test it again and report back on whether MSVCP60.dll installs on a virgin Win2k system, or is installed by Office.

Ran Acronis again and this time I didn't get the "Missing MSVCP60.dll" error. The "Backup Select Files" still didn't work anyway, but that's because it turns out that certain functionalities of Acronis True Image are dependent upon:

a. Outlook Express (which FDV Fileset removes)

b. MS Java.

Pretty stupid, as pointed out by this guy at Acronis's support forum: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....ed=1#post585767

I'll check out KB bulletins to confirm that MSVCP60.dll is not installed in hotfixes.

Edited by saugatak

OK, confirmed that MSVCP60.dll is installed in Microsoft Office 2003 (and probably in older M$ Office installations). Found this .dll in the M$ Office 2003 install disc.

Checked the KB security bulletins for the hotfixes that are in the HF folder. None of them replace MSVCP60.dll.

Anyway, sorry for raising a red herring.

I guess it's unusual to test Acronis True Image before installing Office. However, it's pretty sloppy of Acronis to ASSUME you already have Office installed. Acronis should include this .dll in their install program because not everyone uses Office.

Edit: @FDV

System Tools" and "Entertainment" Start folders are empty now. I'm guessing that you're leaving them around so that if someone wants to put something back in
correct. should i remove them, do you think?

I think it's best to leave them alone because if someone wants to put something in, it's a one-step process to remove the ;

If these folders are commented out, then it's a 2 step process (and much more confusing for someone not familiar with your .inf files) to get them back in.

Also, for my personal use, I'll probably comment out the games folder, but I think I'd like to leave the System Tools folder alone and shove in shortcuts to things like CrapCleaner and O&O defrag and Reg Cleaners so I don't have those icons on desktop or cluttering up the start menu.

Edited by saugatak

I hope you guys dont mind me jumping in here. This thread is very imformative and have read this and others along this same subject. I am not very techy so the 2K I want to build will not be very techy.

I want to build a 2k modernized with dir x, media player, xp icon gui and icon(fixed ;) ) and remove uneeded files and services, and take out IE. Have a slender OS running on very little comitt.

There seems to be 3 guides which points basically to the same type of program.

Since I am not a techy but am very interested in doing my OS which guide should I follow which is the easiest to get an error free and achieve the above?

Thanks

saugatak

Just curious: for what purposes are you using Acronis True Image? I'm not very familiar with this program but I as far as I know the main functionality is in creating and restoring images of phisical or logical disks, right? And if I'm not mistaken Acronis True Image should give you the oppotunity to creat a boot disk with it.

I'm using the similar software - Power Quest Drive Image (it's a bit older and I heard it was bought by Norton a year or two ago). I never installed this software on my working system because I usually ran it for restoring my system partition from boot disk (it creats two floppy boot disks that can be merged in one or a boot CD).

It's important to understand that there should be at least two partitions on your hard disk: one for the system (where Windows installs its files) and programs; the second partion for your files (documents, video, music, etc). You'd better to install all programs on first logical disk but point all their store folders (where useful information is stored) to the second disk.

When you install Windows, all needed programs and configure them the way you like, then boot from Acronis True Image boot disk, make an image of entire first patition and save it in two locations: on the second partion and on a CD-ROM disk.

This way if something with your computer goes wrong and it's usually Windows system problems (virus, corrupted installation, etc.) you just reboot with your boot disk and restore the entire first logical disk from the image on your CD or on the second partition. Windows system restored and your documents and other files are not effected!

Of course backups are important anyway but you may do a backup with you WinRar or Winzip (even automatic and according to the time with a small sheduling program!). Or just copy the folder with you documents directly on CD-ROM, zip or tape manually. It's not a big deal.

PS PQ Drive Image had a very handy functionality before version 7, I guess earlier versions of Norton Ghost may have this functionality also - there is a small utility in distro that without installation gives you the ability to reboot directly in DOS enviroment where full restoring is made.

Edited by Oleg_II

dirtwarrior

Only you can make your choice :D

Why I've chosen FDV's version? It's very easy to try first time: download a small archive and "inject" the files from it into your installation disk - that's it! Easy, ah?

And FDV, I'd say, a bit "conservative". His files won't remove anything important, only the bloat. And his set won't just rip Windows - you can remove more things in future but as you have nearly the same CD as before you may go back and restore the functionality you just remove. I'd call it "safe nLiting" :yes:

Using HFSLIP makes you get "two in one" - you get fully patched (up-to-the date!) system with slipstreamed DX and other usefull and modernized things, and you get automated IE and other bloat removal program that don't need to learn a lot before using. Just place files in right folders and run the script :thumbup

So, only you can make your choice :P

@Oleg, I just got a demo copy of Acronis, wondering whether I should buy it or not? At this point, I'm not inclined to buy it. If I need to I can create new HFSLIP of OS and since I've automated program installs, can re-create system in half a day, not bad.

Re partitions, yeah it's prolly best way, but I've got smal drives so I just use one partition and shove all data into 1 folder and back it up on USB.

As for Acronis boot disk maker, BartPE does same and for free.

@dirtwarrior, I'd use HFSLIP to create your CD.

As for how you customize your OS, you can choose between FDV Fileset, nLite or both.

You can't go wrong either way. FDV fileset advantages:

1. Easy. Stick it into FDV folder on HFSLIP and you're done.

2. FDV includes security enhancements in his fileset.

3. nice balance of removal and leaving in things that are necessary, FDV applies his experience and others feedback to make choices of what's good to remove for bloat and what needs to stay in.

4. FDV does more to make IE removal cleaner. There's a lot of programs that think they "need" IE so removing it can screw up your system. FDV's fileset has lots of tweaks and registry changes to fool programs into thinking that IE is there when it's been removed. IMO, if you really want to remove IE and OE, FDV fileset is better choice.

nLite advantages:

1. GUI - easy to see what you're doing

2. more choices on what to remove, but also more choices to screw things up

3. if you don't want to remove IE and OE, but want to remove other things, nLite is probably better choice.

They're both good, just depends on what you want to do and what you feel more comfortable with.

Edited by saugatak

saugatak

Forgot about BartPe ;) Agree, it's a good choice :yes:

Re-creating system in half a day - it's still plenty of work to do then. Make it two hours with all configuring and installing new printers, scanners, cameras, etc :P

So the problem is solved and this is one more step to IE-free system :D

fdv

You mentioned on the first page "COM, DTC have been removed from this test set to see how things go" but the INFs for them are uncommented in SYSOC.INF. Does it mean they are still installing?

Interesting thing is that multimed.inf is not commented but sound volume is not installed :wacko:

hey gents!

this is unsubstantiated rumor, but Bart L. of BartPE project was busy doing some work for the german computing magazine C'T. here is the rumor: he is doing or did a version of BartPE for them and microsoft got on his case again. the rumor is that they are going to do a new, fresh round of legal attacks on BartPE. although Bart will, i am sure, successfully defend his work, he might have to take it down if micro$oft decides to do battle, so it might not be available for a little while. get it while it's still up:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

again, i might be full of hot air here, but microsoft threatened him once and he's still up, but the forums where he and others post (i dont have the link) does mention whispers or micro$oft jumping on him all over agin. so, take this with a grain of salt, but definately download BartPE as soon as you can, it is an AMAZING utility!

BTW Oleg_II and saugatak thanks for the recommendations of my files. you two and obviously many others here are perfect examples of guys who "get it" -- techy enough to understand how my stuff works, and wise enough to appreciate simplicity (and being able to see the source files with full comments, because learning the guts benefits everyone and moves this whole project forward) :D

so dirtwarrior i know you have checked out my screenshots, etc... and of course i am going to be biased and recommend my own fileset (laughs) the only think i can't promise is a pretty interface like XP (or the sexy look of xpero's interface project for xp). i could include DLLs with all sorts of icons if there were enough demand i guess, but i am such a fan of old-school windows nt 4 that i never went in that direction, so that's the only thing i really can't promise you. if someone wants to make a DLL of flashy XP style icons, i would link to it on my site for folks to use if they wanted though. but you are on the right track, wanting to use win2k, IMO. it's easier to clean up (and doesn't try to be "helpful" to you with adding a few extra steps to things that are simple in win2k, adding dozens of services when i turn most off by default, making easy things hard like simple filesharing, moving icons for you automatically without your asking, cluttering up the start menu, forcing terminal services on you when RunAs works for 90% of what you want to do, throwing wizards and dogs at you, etc :wacko:)

as an aside, many of you know that when tommyp first contacted me, his project was only slipstreaming IE6 (this was about a year ago). my thought then was 'well, i'll link to his thread, but since i do the opposite by taking ie out, we won't really have much to offer each other (LOL)'. thanks to tommyp's hard work (98% of the project) and my INF writing and random tips here and there (2% of the work), here we are :thumbup it's great to have a forum filled with folks who spend the time to read, debug, and make suggestions instead of whiners who refuse to read instructions :P

Oleg_II

You mentioned on the first page "COM, DTC have been removed from this test set to see how things go" but the INFs for them are uncommented in SYSOC.INF. Does it mean they are still installing?
yes, please comment them out, it was a slip on my part if uncommented! i was rushing i guess.

BTW, still no headway on that IEXPLORE.EXE copy error as i am away from home and no ideas have really struck me on that.

Interesting thing is that multimed.inf is not commented but sound volume is not installed

yeah... i think i might have to force-install it inside of another INF. maybe its not multimed. maybe it was ACCESSOR, which i did comment out? anyone know what exact file it is? saugatak wanna work some of your process explorer watching? maybe its lots of files... see what i mean though, you change one little thing and windows setup process just does really weird things...

Edited by fdv