USP versions

Gurgelmeyer

Hi

This is just a quick overview of the USP's

The USP's are all fully cumulative, which means that they contain everything from Service Pack 4.

USP 5.0

USP 5.0 contains all hotfixes for Windows (all that I know of) and for the built in versions of IE/OE/DX etc.

- USP 5.0 Gold (build 10) - released; contains ~350 hotfixes and security fixes

- USP 5.0 SR-1 (build 11) - released; contains >400 hotfixes and security fixes; corrects several registry bugs from SP4

- USP 5.02.2195.16a RETRO ("Gurgels Own") - released; contains more than >50 additional hotfixes and all security updates; DOS setup is fixed. Since this is my personal edition I've removed AU and SPAD, and added >127 GB IDE drives from text mode setup and onwards, because this is safe. Up to date as of 1/1 2006 with security fixes (quality assurance!), and 4/1 2006 with hotfixes.

Planned

No further releases of USP 5.0 are planned.

USP 5.1

USP 5.1 contains everything from USP 5.0 and furthermore it includes IE6/OE6/WAB6/SE56/MSI31/BITS2 and all hotfixes and security updates for those too. It also supports >127 GB IDE drives from text mode setup and onwards.

- USP 5.1 (build 18) - released

- USP 5.10.2195.21 - released; contains more than >50 additional hotfixes and all security updates; DOS setup is fixed. Includes April 06 Updates btw.

Planned

No further releases of USP 5.1 are planned.

USP 5.2

Planned

USP 5.2 will contain everything from USP 5.1 and furthermore it will include NET11 + NET20 + DX9c + MDX9c + MDAC28SP1 and all hotfixes and security updates for for those of course.

USP 5.5 / USP Extreme Ed

USP 5.5 / USP Extreme will contain everything from USP 5.2 and furthermore just about everything which is available for W2k at no charge from microsoft.com, including RDPClient, IE tools, TweakUI, MSConfig, Messenger etc. etc. Most of these extras will be optional components. (And Messenger will be detached from MS OE by default!) Furthermore it will contain a control panel applet named "System Options" which will allow you to enable/disable most of the known registry tweaks - and a few new ones ;)

I'm considering support for SATA storage, updated chipset .INFs, and Universal High Definition Audio (KB888111). Updated MS components (various MS*.OCX/.DLL's) would be nice too, and the standard Codec drivers.

No third party applications/tools/executables are planned for the USPs - only exception might be this - the USP Extreme.

Notes

PLEASE NOTICE that the former "USP Version 5.1 Basic Edition" project has been renamed to just "USP 5.1" - the former "USP Version 5.1 Standard Edition" project has been renamed to just "USP 5.2" - and finally the "USP Version 5.1 Extreme Edition" is now named "USP 5.5" or "USP Extreme".

About MSJVM3810, I'll wrap this up as a hotfix when I get the time.

Gurgelmeyer B)

THANKS TO

Allow me to thank the following

- Will for hosting my work on www.willsdownloads.com

- MajorGeeks for hosting/mirroring my work

- SoftPedia for hosting/mirroring my work

- YouKnowWhoYouAre for providing hotfixes

- YouKnowWhoYouAreToo for providing hotfixes

- YouAlsoKnowWhoYouAre for providing hotfixes

- And last but not least Microsoft Corporation for making Windows 2000 - it's the best money I ever spent

YOU GUYS ROCK

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

1. CONGRATULATIONS

2. Add me to the list "This topic should be pinned/sticky" :thumbup

3. At the start (January) of the project you were to build two "things", one being only the hotfixes (about 30 MB then) and the other one the "enhancements", including IE etc (I saw lists with 20 items).
    Right now the USP50SR1 I just downloaded is a 238+ MB package, and I fear it won't go with my Spanish computers...

Am I the only one that sees interest in a 30-60 MB update with core things only?

Am I the only one that sees interest in a 30-60 MB update with core things only?

I don't think so - but I won't make them. The full update is the only way I can make a quality product. Sry :}

G B)

PS - I guess I could do a rollup with MSURP + the standard security updates only... but would anyone want that?

- Version 5.1 Standard Edition - will contain all of the above + NETFX11 + DX9 + MDAC27SP1 refresh (and all hotfixes for those of course) ...

latest version of MDAC is 2.8 SP1. latest version of NETFX is 2.0 which came out a few days ago. will these be included in your next release of your USP?

btw - is Win2k hotfix KB886765 included in your USPs? i've been wondering if the files from the KB886765 hotfix are safe to use under Win2000 or if that hotfix cause problems under Win2000.

KB886765 hotfix mentioned in support article 886765:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886765

Hi :)

Well - good thing I havent added NETFX11 yet :lol:

About MDAC 2.8 SP1 I've had that question before. My concern is, that I know MSDE / MS SQL Server 7 + 2000 works well with MDAC 2.7 SP1a Refresh - but no one has been able to tell me if it runs well with MDAC 2.8 SP1 too. Actually I'd much rather add MDAC 2.8 SP1 - but I really need someone to test it with MSDE / SQL Server 7 + 2000.

KB886765 is included in the current USP 5.0 SR1. It doesn't seem to cause problems.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Contents of USP...

X:\2KBootCD\USP50SR1\support\tools\support.cab - 10,373 KB

X:\2KBootCD\USP50SR1\support\tools\dtc\support.cab - 11,360 KB

Any reason for this duplication ? The contents of which are nearly 99% the same.

The i386/svcpack folder would possibly be useful if it actually listed the KB######.cat's - as is the USP doesn't even list what hotfixes it contains.

Could also seriously cut down on the size if it was diff'd against SP4, and only contain what isn't already in SP4.

Contents of USP...

X:\2KBootCD\USP50SR1\support\tools\support.cab - 10,373 KB

X:\2KBootCD\USP50SR1\support\tools\dtc\support.cab - 11,360 KB

Any reason for this duplication ? The contents of which are nearly 99% the same.

Yep :)

Reason 1: That's the way they are organized on the MS SP3 and SP4 CDs.

Reason 2: The 2000RKST.MSI and DTC\2000RKST.MSI files depend on the exact order (!), version, and size of the files in each cab.

The i386/svcpack folder would possibly be useful if it actually listed the KB######.cat's - as is the USP doesn't even list what hotfixes it contains.
You can't download many those hotfixes anyway.

The rename is done to make 100% sure, that the USP will interfere as little as possible with any of the original hotfixes and security updates.

If you dont think they are useful, try removing them and run SigVerif :rolleyes:

Could also seriously cut down on the size if it was diff'd against SP4, and only contain what isn't already in SP4.

OH - like an Update Rollup :blink: I'd rather not :)

/G