Screen Screws Up, Game Freezes

TaiFong

Improper CPU speed. Does your motherboard auto select the CPU speed (some of the newer ones do) or do you have to do it manually by changing a jumper/switch of the board? I assume that since you purchased the board and the CPU together that they are compatible? Never the less, the seller does not always set the CPU jumper before it is shipped. Reference the motherboard manual for details and the manufacturers web site for any changes or additions. What is the make and model number of the board?

You tried the New CPU on all of your boards and the same result. If the new CPU and new board are compatible then the chipset is also compatible. Look elsewhere. You have been changing hardware a lot and Zipp could also be right about static.

I assume the PSU is rated for the Athlon right (IMPORTANT)?

Where all the above is okay then the Vid Card Fan is bad like FthrJack explained.

Try to answer the questions from previous posts or we will be unable to offer a fix. We use the process of elimination and without your feedback we have a difficult time.

:)

MSNwar: It's autoselect, and everything is compatible. The model is Asus A7V8X ACPI BIOS Revision 1010.

I think it really is a video card problem. It's always seemed like an overheat to me. What I have done is put a standard floor fan pointing inside my case, right on the card. I'm about to test it.

-------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Well, I guess it's not a heat problem, unless the fan didn't do it's job right. Plus, I did get the CPU speed message again. I don't know. This kind of sucks.

The floor fan trick does not always work. It can actually cause the system to disfunction owed to ambient temperature differences.

Run the rig without the cover and watch the "Vid Card" and "CPU" Fans. Stop and go or run slow? Some Vid Fans also have heat sinks similar to CPU Fans. What type do you have? Can you post a pic of the whole system with closeups.

Do you have another Vid Card you can install and see if the system works right or wrong?

Power Supply rating? Your power supply may be under rated for the CPU.

Well, I have a habit of running my computer with the case panel off. It's what I'm currently doing too. I don't believe my video card has a heat sink. If it does, it's small. Oh, and I have a 350 Watt power supply. I think that's enough.

Anyway, I'll turn off my computer and take some pictures, so I'll edit my post when I'm done...

------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Inside of the computer showing motherboard, video card, and CPU:

CompInside.jpg

The error screen I get when playing games:

ErrorScreen.jpg

There you go. Make of it what you will! :) And you may be wondering why I have an Apple monitor. Well, it's a really high quality monitor.

Well, I changed the video card to a GeForce2 MX 400 (*vomit*) and I've been playing BF for about 30 minutes now with no problem. I think my Ti4200 is just messed up. :)

By the way, thanks for the help everyone. I love these boards.

• 1 month later...

i had a similar problem with unreal2 with the same graphics card and processor i went to the amd site and they said it could be my ram ,one fix that worked for me was tolet the mobo bios run the cpu at a lower clock rate,not a very good solution but it might be worth trying