Screen Screws Up, Game Freezes

TaiFong

Before I begin the problem, let me tell you guys that I just changed my motherboard and CPU. I wasn't happy with the motherboard, so I switched to the old one, but kept the newer CPU. It seems like it shouldn't be a problem, since I have the exact same system, except for a slightly faster CPU (1.7 to 2 Ghz). Funny thing is, it started after I did all this. So, If you do think this has anything to do with my problem, let me know!

Anyway, every time I play Battlefield 1942 recently, at a non-specific time in the game my screen will get messed up; all kinds of colors are all over the screen. You can't even see any part of the game through it. The computer freezes too, and if I restart, the screen is the same. I have to actually turn it off and back on again. Anyway, like I said, this happens at no set time. It could happen 5 minutes after I start playing or 30 minutes, and only when I play games (obviously because they are graphics intensive). I can't figure it out. I have:

- Windows XP

- AMD Athalon XP 2Ghz CPU

- GeForce Ti4200 64MB

I run BF on:

- 800 x 600 16 bit color

- All detail levels high

- Most card features off (AA off, Antistropic filtering off, etc.)

I'll spare you the other specs as they probably don't matter. I had the old Nvidia drivers installed, and the problem occured. Then, I installed the newest Nvidia drivers, same problem. It's really starting to get aggravating. Maybe the card itself has issues. It's not like I'm pushing it to its limit or anything. Plus, it's been working fine for a long time. I just don't get it.

So, if you have any thoughts or ideas, let me know. I appreciate it.

Since it worked okay before the hardware change I would look at the differences in hardware.

Hardware Setup: Is the PSU and/or the Motherboard installed correctly. Any wires in contact with metal and shorting out. Everything seated correctly in the slots - any debri like lint in the slots. Pull each component and examine the slots for debri to include RAM.

CPU. The new CPU may not be supported by the BIOS. Check for the latest BIOS update at the manufacturers web site. Heatsink paste new or old and intact.

Heat. Does the CPU Fan run continuously. Is the case close to a wall heater?

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure, but I would say it's something with your vid-card, maybve it overheats or are you maybe overclocking it? when I oc' my Radeon, and its running to high mhz on the memory, it plays just like yours, after about 15-30mins, my game fill up with all kinds of pointy jargon and I can barely see the game, maybe you overclocked it somehow not on purpose...

Hope this helps any...

I have found that when you disable "veritical sync" in NVidia cards through the NVidia control panel (located on the systray with the new drivers now) it will increase the quality of the card and give you some extra frames, at least this is the case with me when I play Max Payne.

I have found that when you disable "veritical sync" in NVidia cards through the NVidia control panel (located on the systray with the new drivers now) it will increase the quality of the card and give you some extra frames, at least this is the case with me when I play Max Payne.

Read the 1st post, he doesn't need any more frames, theres jargon fillin up the screen so what's that have to do with it?

Well, if you know so much, you fix it for him then :)

I never said I knew allot, atleast I tried to help besides just saying something about nvidia cards.. I didn't even know you were trying to fix it for him since your post didnt have anything to do with his problem besides that your post was actually about a video card..

Thanks for the help everyone, but man, I am having THE WORST luck.

Ok, first my video card doesn't work. Now, my hard drive died on me! I'm now using my dad's HD and I've installed BF on it. I'm so totally screwed over! Now you see, my dad has gone out of town, and he took my backup hard drive AND my old CPU! I really wanted to try and revert to fix all my problems, but I can't for a week! Knowing my luck, THAT probably won't even work.

I turned the hardware acceleration as far down as I could while still being able to run the game, but it happened again. Then, I installed DX 9 (I had 8.1 before) to see what would happen. No go. Same thing. I think my card is just messed up. That sucks. Aren't they supposed to be designed to, I don't know, WORK. I guess we'll see what happens when my dad comes back. If nothing resolves, ah well, I have money to burn. :)

Thanks for the help everyone, but man, I am having THE WORST luck.

Ok, first my video card doesn't work. Now, my hard drive died on me! I'm now using my dad's HD and I've installed BF on it. I'm so totally screwed over! Now you see, my dad has gone out of town, and he took my backup hard drive AND my old CPU! I really wanted to try and revert to fix all my problems, but I can't for a week! Knowing my luck, THAT probably won't even work.

I turned the hardware acceleration as far down as I could while still being able to run the game, but it happened again. Then, I installed DX 9 (I had 8.1 before) to see what would happen. No go. Same thing. I think my card is just messed up. That sucks. Aren't they supposed to be designed to, I don't know, WORK. I guess we'll see what happens when my dad comes back. If nothing resolves, ah well, I have money to burn.  :rolleyes:

Did you follow DaveH's advice by any change? :)

FthrJACK: I tried to take a screenshot from FRAPS, but I can't because the computer freezes right away when all the colors come up.

asklepios: I believe have a VIA, but it makes no difference because the same problem occured with two different motherboards.

Note that I got an error message the last time. The screen did it's usual "color me up and shut me down" maneuver and when I restarted the computer, it went straight into the BIOS and said something like "The CPU stopped responding on the last boot because of an improper CPU speed detection" So, I'm thinking that's the problem. I played around with some AGP features thinking they might be conflicting, but I have yet to test them...