upgrade my computer

hbinded

From what I have read/seen & heard from friends, be it fact or no. Is that the Nvidia drivers aren't anywhere near as stable as ATI's releases. I'm sure someone here will counter that.

And if you don't need "top of the line" just go 6mos-1yr old, and get the best or top-range from those.

Personally I've been very happy w/ the Radeon 9800 Pro (150$ USD) that I got in April. But then I couldn't justify paying more for a Graphics Card than the motherboard, cpu and ram combined, which is what the reality is if you approach top end current models.

so what you need is a mobo,cpu, and gfx? DO U NEED ANY RAM?

mobo:dfi nf4 ultra-d 128$

cpu:opteron 144 -this is very sweet, overclocks like crazy 155$

gfx:sapphire x850xl 329$

these are prices here in the US

I already have 4 sticks of DDR400 RAM of 512 MB each, But I want to get four sticks with 1 GB each. any recommendations?

What do you think of this gfx card? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...%2509%26fvi%3D1

I'm kinda on a tight budget here, you know................. :P:P

p.s. I like the CPU you've recommended! it has some impressive values of overclocking! I have just got on from ebay.de Hope that by 1.11 I will have finished my "project"

Thanks!

The 6600GT is a fine choice indeed. As for the RAM, remember that is soon as you use all 4 DIMM slots, you will be forced to have to run the RAM @ a 2 turn command rate and the front bus speed will be dropped down to 166MHz. 1GB sticks are also more difficult to overclock than their 512MB counterparts. If price is not an issue, go with the Crucial Ballistix Tracers or the OCZ Platinum series. Otherwise, the Corsair 1GB Value series and anything under $200 may not overclock well.

for the ram it all depends on how much money you want, all you need is 2 gigs, u will never use more than 2gigs in the first place and if you ever did then you would need a vry fast cpu.

if u want to run 4 stick of ram at 1T then you can get the new dfi crossfire board, i dont know how they did it but i love them

DONT BUY FROM EBAY! always go thru a reliable source

Edited by ripken204

all you need is 2 gigs, u will never use more than 2gigs in the first place

ummm.yeh and they said we would never need more than 256 of SDRAM. :w00t:

There are times I could use 3 gig so I don't fully agree with you but 2 has increased my performance tremendously.

There are times I could use 3 gig so I don't fully agree with you but 2 has increased my performance tremendously.

What in the world do you use your computer for?!?!?! Even when I've got all my apps running that I can think of, I've still got some RAM to spare and I've got 1GB to start with. Mind you I don't game... :P

What in the world do you use your computer for?!?!?! Even when I've got all my apps running that I can think of, I've still got some RAM to spare and I've got 1GB to start with. Mind you I don't game... :P

I've been know to run shell connections running TOP on 10+ servers with my normal stuff such as konfabulator. Having photoshop open, creating flash tutorials ( example) while burning data on DVDs, answer support tickets while doing live chat with pre-sales clients.

;)

BTW i run an extended desktop on 3 screens oh and I do love battlefield 2

Edited by XPerties