[OT] End of 2K, 2KXP Hybrid

Crash&Burn

Seen something about this in one of the other forums, asking opinions about what people will do when 2K support ends in 2006.

I wonder if any thought has been given to doing something like Axcel216 did mixing 98se w/ ME, or pointless w/ 2K/XP or would the next step be just to migrate to Windows 2003?

I avoided WinXP like the plague when it came out, and had to remove my foot from my mouth after making a new computer purchase that wouldn't run on 98, so I took the most minimalistic step I could to 2K ;)

Sorry for an OT post, just find opinions and help here generally more worthwhile than many of the other forums.

HMMMM A 2k/xp hybred and maybe a few files from 2k3 thrown in for good measure. I like 2k but its look is a little dated. The boot loader from 2k3 will make it more efficient maybe more.

Sounds like a good project.

While I am not as good at modding an OS as some of these guys in here I do have one thing going for me, I dont give up easy. So if I can help in some way dont hesitate to let me know.

A very good project.

A very big problem with it, really big problem is in drivers and hardware support. Like Crash&Burn said: if sometime I buy a computer that just can't run Windows 2000 because there is no W2k drivers for its hardware that will be a disaster :(

But there is a big hope too because all Windowses after W2k uses its architecture and the driver support should be nearly the same. I also read somewhere how to add drivers from Windows 2000 to Windows NT - modifying OS version somewhere in registry. Hope this trick will work for a long time.

There will be some problems with modern protocols but if the trick with drivers still works it makes me think there is a way to "import" other things from newer OS.

Note aside: maybe we'll together find a way to include some very new drivers in Windows 2000 too ;)

As for outdated, don't think so. You may use Windows 2000 OS core for basic functionality (start up, power off, calculator, etc :D but use very new programs for daily work and entertaiment - free and ports from Linux world like Open Office, mplayer, Fire Fox, Thunderbird, etc.

I'm lazy and don't like appz that installs without me repacking them ;)

Guys don't worry about Win2k support running out anytime soon. Basically, the first 5 years of Win2k existence get "mainstream" support, which means hotfixes plus bonuses like the new media player and DirectX9c and stuff like that.

The next 5 years Win2k only gets extended support which means just hotfixes. Mainstream support for Win2k ended on June 30, 2005 (just before Update Rollup 1 v1 came out). Extended support runs out in June 30, 2010.

Since 50% of corporation, and most of the large ones, are standardized on Win2k, and most companies deem it to be a waste of $ to upgrade an OS, there's a good chance that M$ will lengthen the extended support phase for a year or two after their clients protest, so I think we don't have to worry unitl June 30, 2011, which is a long time away.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/serve...ndedsupport.asp

My big concern is, Update Rollup 1 v2 is supposed to be the last major Windows update. It's nearing the end of October (4 months from end of mainstream support) and we've already had 20 major hotfixes for Win2k (not including IE).

If the hotfixes keep coming at this rate and M$ refuses to release Update Rollup 2 or a SP5, we're all going to have 360 hotfixes (not including IE) in our HF folder!!!

dirtwarrior :hello:

there are a few more folders you can use that are not created by default (you have to create them manually). These folders are for advanced users who read manuals :P

Have fun and let us know about your foundings! :yes:

Edited by Oleg_II

• 2 months later...
Guys don't worry about Win2k support running out anytime soon. (...) The next 5 years Win2k only gets extended support which means just hotfixes. Mainstream support for Win2k ended on June 30, 2005 (just before Update Rollup 1 v1 came out). Extended support runs out in June 30, 2010.
Exactly.
My big concern is, Update Rollup 1 v2 is supposed to be the last major Windows update.
MS have released update rollups for security fixes in the past during extended support phases. I see no reason why they'd stop doing that now...