that hulking hotfix pack from theh0tfix

nite0859

@ FDV, something wrong w/ s.p.a.m.net address...or its just offline perhaps?

[Edit] Doh! You already fixed it. heh. [/Edit]

Interesting I suppose, course that huge list of fixes looks like a headache in waiting to me ;)

Recommended/Critical? nope just a huge list, and get them all just in case :wacko: heh.

Edited by Crash&Burn

s.p.a.m net - what Crash&Burn is talking about is this: i typed the hotfix URL and the board software automatically changed it! i guess a filter for certain urls is in place because perhaps someone from that domain tried to do some spamming? i am not really sure but i fixed the url... (i'm not sayin' how!) it's only for reference and i'll be taking the link down in a little bit, because i am sure that even though the filter is a well-intentioned move against spammers, it's probably there for a reason to prevent any traffic to their site, and i don't want to mess with what the mods have decided is a good idea.

Brannigan noted that while the hotfixes may be genuine, they're not for public consumption. (But this is beside the point.)

Here's the main point : http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498 .

1. As of next month's security releases, the main update pack will be scaled back to contain only the publicly available MS hotfixes along with a select few request-only fixes (such as KB888111).

2. Doing the above should make the CAT file issues completely disappear, since this will substantially cut down the number of hotfixes included.

3. I will no longer be concerning myself with the vast majority of the request-only hotfixes. It takes a lot of time to adequately maintain such a setup, and quite simply, real life takes priority over it.

4. I'm still planning on maintaining the WMP10 addon pack and some form of addons packs.

As you can probably infer, I'm interested whether or not hfslip can do this job. I know that this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=57659 states that
* It slipstreams and recabs Type 1, Type 2, and MSXML-MSI hotfix binaries into the Windows source (if it's a hotfix, HFSLIP can handle it!)

All I'm doing is confirming that there are no issues when slipstreaming that massive hotfix pack.

Well tommyp or fdv (or even saugatak or olek II) might be better suited to answer (I'm much newer to this project), but I've not had any problems with hotfixes thus far, even ones that Nlite chokes on.

I'd just recommend not installing that hulking fix en-mass, choose ones from it selectively is all...

HFSlip isn't quite as automated as some of the other SLIPpipng options around here, when you want to differ from some of the presets some minimal editing of the inf's used is required, but really FDV's site and the files themselves are very well commented and they make it quite easy to use.

And FDV generally will add more inf's to add in if there are things removed from his defaults that you'd rather keep.

With a small amount of work HFSlip can take place of $OEM$ and even preinstall software, but as its main design isn't the latter, again it does require some end-user work.

Again from what I have seen from this project, most everyone is very helpful (unlike some others where posts just go unanswered). Maybe if the posts here got out of hand like some of the others that might change, but lets hope not ;)

I try to help out on the boards, as I haven't been as helpful as olek or saug as far as testing goes yet, hopefully when I get my system setup properly for backups et al, I'll be able to participate more in that :)

Edited by Crash&Burn

nLite859, HFSLIP is designed to work with hotfixes following standard naming conventions being in certain folders.

Put the hotfixes you want (after making sure that they follow the KB-xxxxxxx naming format) in the HF folder and see if it works. It's an easy enough test. And read the instructions at FDV's site.

i have read also as suryad that ms has warned users against this binary.

BUT. if you REALLY want to try it... put it in the HF folder and give it a name of an XP hotfix. this will "trick" things. of course, this faux sp3 has to be in the form of an EXE file.

this is not recommended, and HFSLIP is set up to prevent people from going too wild -- which means that we don't really want to support questions having to do with things HFSLIP really isn't meant for (in other words, yeah, it CAN do this, but we are not saying you should, so if there are problems, we warned ya). :D:P

Edited by fdv

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the responses! :thumbup

On a sidenote, I don't see what the big deal is. People have been using RyanVm's update pack for a long time now -- without much grumbling. What would happen if M$ issued a similar warning about RyanVm's update packs ? Like I said before, the main reason that I'm looking at that huge hotfix pack is because RyanVm is going to discontinue support for machine-specific hotfixes. However, RyanVm is not against the idea of some other person taking over the collection and the maintaining of the machine-specific hotfixes... it's just that HE himself is no longer going to do it.

Another reason for using hfslip is so that people do not have to wait for other people, such as RyanVm, to release updatepacks. It's far easier to slipstream hotfixes on-the-fly as hotfixes are released rather than wait. However, the disadvantage that micro$oft and others are pointing out are that there is NO pre-testing on how the hotfixes will interact with one another. However, if you read *cough*theh0tfix's*cough* forums, you'll get a general idea -- BUT since hotfixes are machine specific, there is no guarantee what will work for one person will in fact work for another -- since the machines that the hotfixes are being installed on are indeed very different.

Yet, it seems that even micro$oft itself cannot fully test how CRITICAL hotfixes will impact every single system in existence. A prime example is here : http://msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=14828 . This is why I take advice from micro$oft with a grain of salt. If THEY can't get it right, and THEY are the ones making the hotfixes, then who are THEY to advise ME ?

Anyhow, thanks for the great support on a great piece of software. Now if only your hfslip would integrate BTS's driver packs ... :whistle::D

@nite0859 - Thanks for pointing out the hotfix issue. You would be surprised that people would rather have unstable systems and happy WindowsUpdate results. Strange and sad but true. Also, the point you mention about making your own updated installation source: this is exactly the reason why I came up with HFSLIP.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the heck of it, I did it.

Procedure: Started with Sp2. Integrating all of BTS's Driverpacks, method 3, then integrated that hulking hotfix pack, along with the codecs I posted earlier using hfslip. after it was done, i xpsized the entire thing (patched i386 files).

got somekind of error on first boot with medctrro.exe ... dunno what that is. prolly driverpack related.

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

WU.TXT