win2k hotstream - topic continued

prathapml

I have used both usp 5.0 and 5.1 as the base for hfslip, esp since

I wanted IE 6, DX9c, and newer fixes slipped onto disk.

THEN I tweak the reg and add my own 'goodies'.

Works just fine ! Sorta of my own extreme version. :)

If you want to intergate IE6 you can use HFSLIP. However, I dont think HFSLIP is compatible with hotstream

The latest hotstream or USP does contain IE6

That was one of my projects a while ago. Making HFSLIP not complain took about 4 lines, and 15 minutes of my time. However, I never checked if everything was properly slipstreamed in, and it's possible HFSLIP didn't know USP5.1 has extra stuff. I verified an HFSLIP'd Win2k with USP5.1 had IE5 installed, but slipstreaming IE6 in is quite easy.

The latest hotstream or USP does contain IE6

the latest release is 5.1 and does contain IE6 SPI, OE 6, DirectX 7 ....

im realy curious about any progress in this matter, and you totaly convinced me that im 'wrong' but in the mean time, id advice you to try a 'clean windows install (doesn't care if is sp 0 1 2 3 or 4, and in unattend.txt add a line with the guirunonce section to W2KSP5.exe /q:a ?? or what ever un-attended switch is posible ...

at least as long as no-one has found a fix...

about the HFSLIP thing, i can confirm what Electrician writes and state that we had compatability in mind with USP. i mean, there might be some mild competition at work between the two products, but ultimately we would rather it worked than have things break and have people blame one or both projects :D

besides lets face it, uSP may be a lot simple'er to slipstream for a regular user, and also supports updating an already installed system, it lacks international (non us/uk) support, i realy think there shouldn't even be competition, (but rather learn from eatch other),

for both the projects have there pro's and cons, (and i for one think that, they can perfectly co-exits, (each with its own targeted usergroups))....

Edited by -I-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well while i'm waiting I have tried to modify the SP5 myself (just for me not and for anybody else).

it also seems like a lot of updates you just copy and replace the file in SP5 so modification is very easy.

I think I had 8 updates left to integrate so after my little modification I only needed to install 4 hotfixes left. I actually did all 8 but I think 4 needed registry entrees which I didn't know what to do.

I am not trying to take anyones place i'm just tired of waiting so I puted the updates and added the Update references into the update.inf to install more hotfixes.

That way hotfixes don't get messy and I don't have all these errors.

Sorry I just couldn't wait anymore.

Edited by SammyDawn

Do you think maybe someone could work on the unofficial service pack 5 while hes sick?

Maybe someone can make a unofficial service pack 6!

Also one more thing if I modify any SP5 files with upgrades how do I input it into a SP Installer, or even how do I make a service pack installer.

Edited by SammyDawn

ive tryed extracting the installer myself, but realy without Gurglemeyers help im quite stuck in how this actualy works...

if id understand this a bit better i would have taken some steps myself in adding at least the most important updates...