Best OS for gaming (excluding XP)?

azagahl

UT2004 - runs very well on Linux.

And many other games too have a linux port available.

And to stay with windows, Windows 2000 is the default choice, if you dont want XP. Win98 is out of the consideration, it crashes too much under the pressure of modern games.

I thought all of MS software require activation and though yes it is annoynig as f*** I would still do it in a heartbeat because I know i am not doing anything illegal. Since DX is MS proprietary and almost 99% of good games are written using DX you are stuck using MS buddy.

Linux has some attempts at having an emulator running the games but it is horrible at the moment and though it might get better in the future, it still wont be worth it. Stick to activating XP and all will be well.

Thanks guys.

I think I'll probably switch from 98 SE to 2K Pro.

Is 2K good with DOS games, or is it best to dualboot 98 SE / 2K?

And my 64-bit Linux distro is full of bugs and needs to die - I can't stand having a continual mishmash of non-alpha and alpha software and the endless babysitting of configuration files is tiring. Also it can't play Morrowind natively. I don't trust / want to pay for WINE / Cedega.

Yup, good decision. :)

2k (with SP4) is your best bet currently.

And dos games WILL want win98, so dual-boot. But I dis-like DOS-based OSes since it exposes you to boot-record viruses. I suggest install win98se inside a VMware machine (running on your host win2k OS), and play games from inside it.

Dear Friend,

it's of course Win2K Pro, even Microsoft XBOX uses Win2K as OS.

But you'd better update the main component inside Win2KPro, so it

can run as great as the most current system.

For performance, Win2K Pro definitely beat WinXP, especially obvious on old system like Pentium III. With DirectX 9.0C, your gaming machine will run as flying....8)

i insist on using Win2KPro not only for WinXP's instrusive activation, but also for Win2KPro's stable, high performance!

Go get Win2K Pro, and give it a try....

Godel

Taipei, Taiwan

I don't like XP because I don't agree with the instrusive activation system.

And 98 SE is starting to feel too old, even though I use a lot of upgrades from ME and XP.

And there aren't a lot of games for Linux.

Ignoring XP, which OS is best for gaming? 2K Advanced Server? 2K professional edition?

Something else?

Also, which upgrades are crucial? I'm thinking of using 2K SP 4 and AutoPatcher 2000 which gives update roll up v2, DX9.0c, and IE6SP1, among other things.

Thanks!

And dos games WILL want win98, so dual-boot. But I dis-like DOS-based OSes since it exposes you to boot-record viruses. I suggest install win98se inside a VMware machine (running on your host win2k OS), and play games from inside it.

So you are saying for games 2k with SP4 is better in performance than XP? Any metric to prove that? Or is this just an educated guess. If you have more info let me know thanks.

So you are saying for games 2k with SP4 is better in performance than XP? Any metric to prove that? Or is this just an educated guess. If you have more info let me know thanks.

I think you missed the point of the thread, suggesting the best OS except XP...that would leave XP out of the comparison, wouldn't it? ;)

2k will be the best choice thats for sure.

And I must agree with azagahl, that registration is a itchy thing...also one of the reasons I will never plug that Vista (read Palladium, TCG...or whatever is the name of the day)....it's just another step on my integrity-toe (thats all there is left of it nowadays...).

Windows Longhorn Professional build 6.0.4051.

Best OS....Ever! o_O

I get the highest benchmarks when using it. XP and 2000 don't even come close.

if azagahl was a Microsoft Beta Tester for Longhorn, I'm sure he would already be using it. But like me, he probably wouldn't use it anyway.

Edited by At0mic

nLite plays well with Svr2k3. But then, Svr2k3 requires activation as well, so if you hate that part, then dont pick up svr2k3.

And as Clint is saying, the point of this thread is the best OS for gaming, EXCLUDING winxp. Which is why win2k+SP4 wins.