Best OS for gaming (excluding XP)?

azagahl

I don't like XP because I don't agree with the instrusive activation system.

And 98 SE is starting to feel too old, even though I use a lot of upgrades from ME and XP.

And there aren't a lot of games for Linux.

Ignoring XP, which OS is best for gaming? 2K Advanced Server? 2K professional edition?

Something else?

Also, which upgrades are crucial? I'm thinking of using 2K SP 4 and AutoPatcher 2000 which gives update roll up v2, DX9.0c, and IE6SP1, among other things.

Thanks!

Then use Home Edition and nLite it.

Hmm, you don't like the activation... sounds like you are afraid of M$ finding out you use a pirated version. My assumption could be wrong but it's applicable...

Edited by Jeremy

Looks like you answered your question. You only left 2000 Pro as a valid choice. All advanced server gives you are advanced server functionality over Win2k server and all win2k server gives you over 2k Pro is server functionality. 98 is too old and ME.. well .. it sucks. XP.. although not intrusive would be my pick.. you only left 2000 as the only desktop OS you would use..

Uhm, you'd only need to activate it again if you reformat your HD. Changing hardware doesn't affect activation. And I recommend nLite because it's useful on many levels when using XP. Dozens of threads about performance and filesizes all over these forums explain that.

you'd only need to activate it again if you reformat your HD. Changing hardware doesn't affect activation

But dude, I change my HD's + OS's all the time. That's why I DON'T want to use XP.

Anyone have an on-topic (i.e. non-XP) suggestion?

Thanks!

Edited by azagahl

I thought nLite just makes XP smaller?

I change hardware a lot and don't want to need activation all the time. nLite can help solve this problem?

The only part that would really affect your activation would be the motherboard. Otherwise, simply change one piece of hardware at a time and you'll be fine.

If you don't want to activate each time, there are two files that you can copy over during your install (forget which ones) to preserve your activation info.

Geez... 99.99% of the people who say that they don't want to "deal with activation" actually mean that they can't get past activation.

If you want a free OS that doesn't need activation, go for Ubuntu or Suse.

sounds like you are afraid of M$ finding out you use a pirated version

they can't get past activation

Whatever, I feel sorry that you can stoop low enough to subject yourself to being treated like a criminal and pay hundreds of dollars for a self-destructing coaster. It will get even worse with Vista.

Are you honestly suggesting these are the best OS's for gaming? I have had 64-bit linux installed for

a long time and I can safely say it's not the best for gaming.

Also, a lot of OS's do not require activation (though most aren't free): 98, ME, and 2K.

Please stop straying off topic. The title of this thread is "Best OS for gaming (excluding XP)".

Edited by azagahl

Ok, real suggestion, I would recommend 98, until now you get every game working, with a patch or out of the box, but it won't do it for long, and M$ tries everything to make Software/Driver only XP compatible, such as SLI.

Now you should get 2000 Professional or 98 depending on the game you play.Using Server Versions of 2000 is it not worth, they use the same Kernel as the Professional version, but XP usese an older Kernel than 2003 Server,thats why some of here use 2003 Server for Desktops. BTW: XP 64 bit uses the new 2003 Kernel.

Hope that helped you, and cool down.

Whatever, I feel sorry that you can stoop low enough to subject yourself to being treated like a criminal and pay hundreds of dollars for a self-destructing coaster. It will get even worse with Vista.
So I'm a criminal for paying for software that costs money... I'm confused. I thought the criminals were the ones who used priated copies?

And as for the price, hundreds of dollars, eh??

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM *No HW Purchase Required.* - $97.99 CAD = $83.07 USD = 69.11 EUR

Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM *No HW Purchase Required.* - $155.99 CAD = $132.258 USD = 110.04 EUR

Self-destructing coaster? I think that most people on the boards will agree that the majority of problems that users experience are PEBCAC. If you don't like Windows XP, use something else.

Are you honestly suggesting these are the best OS's for gaming? I have had 64-bit linux installed for

a long time and I can safely say it's not the best for gaming.

Also, a lot of OS's do not require activation (though most aren't free): 98, ME, and 2K.

Please stop straying off topic. The title of this thread is "Best OS for gaming (excluding XP)".

Sorry for going so off topic. I'm just skeptical at your statement about it only being about activation. Like I said before, that's usually the case of someone who can't activate.

And Linux can play games quite well. They just need to be run in Wine or installed as the Linux package. AFAIK, prathapml plays UT (forget which version) in Linux.