MSFN chatroom, and torrent tracker

prathapml

X7-chat & torrent tracker  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a special MSFN chatroom?

• yes
    • no
    • neutral (or, "i dont care one way or the other")
  2. 2. Would you want a torrent tracker for MSFN downloads?

• yes
    • no

Just got these 2 ideas....

One was about the chatroom which most members seem to want - LINK.

The chatroom could be setup at - http://www.msfn.org/chat (or something like that)

Everybody is waiting! ;)

The other idea, was about having a torrent tracker for MSFN downloads - only *IF* possible.

The tracker would be fantastic! Because that way, MSFN does not need to host any downloadable files - just the tracker alone, thats all. So very less bandwidth will be used! A single seeder will have a file on his HDD initially, and then it spreads to the other leechers, identified via the tracker. If desired, access control could be implemented, so that only members can make use of the tracker, to prevent flooding of it.

Almost 90% of the members on this board do use torrents & have clients to access that protocol, so its not a problem. Moreover, we would then be the first mainstream forum, to use torrent trackers for member projects.

I thought of this torrent idea, after seeing this topic - win2k hotstream

If we did setup a tracker, then all of our numerous msfn project files, can get distributed more easily! It will be legitimate, since we wont allow illegal torrents. There's so many of our members' projects that are not able to distributed due to their large size. One that comes to mind, is of course, the Win2k hotstream - unofficial SP5.

Of course, other files too could benefit from a move to torrents:

ryanVM post-SP2 update pack

XPize

nLite

etc.

Yes for both!

I'm just wondering about the tracker - Would that be only for MSFN member projects(nLite, XPize, etc), or could it include other smaller projects such as NCAB, Winamp MSI, or Acrobat Lite installer?

IRC, yes i know....

The problem is it leaves us with very little control - except for just a mere op that can stay in the room.

Whereas, webchat is far more powerful - if you have doubts, then take a look at the topic i linked to, in first post.

I'm just wondering about the tracker - Would that be only for MSFN member projects(nLite, XPize, etc), or could it include other smaller projects such as NCAB, Winamp MSI, or Acrobat Lite installer?
If a tracker DOES get setup, it would cater to even the other projects quoted there.... It might as well be used for everything! Because trackers doesn't really use much bandwidth, and many of the projects have the files hosted on msfn server - so on the whole, we would see a reduction in bandwidth used.

YES for chatroom but NO for torrents. but what do you mean by torrents, they usually mean pirated stuff so ur not rly being specific.

I think that for torrents you could submit the torrent to a mod/admin so that they could then host the torrent on the tracker. If the torrent is found to contain illegal/pirated software, then the mods/admins could take necessary action against the user (warning/banning/whatever).

but what do you mean by torrents, they usually mean pirated stuff so ur not rly being specific.
Sometimes, reading first post in full, helps! ;)
If we did setup a tracker, then all of our numerous msfn project files, can get distributed more easily! It will be legitimate, since we wont allow illegal torrents. There's so many of our members' projects that are not able to be distributed due to their large size.

Yes for both.

I would run my own tracker, but not allowed. At the moment anyways. ;)

Speaking of, does anyone with real experience know how much bandwidth, CPU usage, and memory usage running a medium to large tracker uses? By medium I mean a few hundred users at a time, and by large I mean thousands.

Thanks,

Will

Update:

Well lets discuss Bittorrent for a minute.

Perhaps MSFN can run a trackerless one.

For information on trackerless torrents see:

http://www.bittorrent.com/trackerless.html

Also, see:

http://pompone.cs.ucsb.edu/~msa/reading/ma...ov_kademlia.pdf

Also interesting:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/cache/papers/c...y02scalable.pdf

So what do you think of that idea?

Edited by war59312

i think the IRC room is a great idea. as for the tracker i dont really see much point to it. most of the members who release large files, eg update packs, own programs, and other such things have there own web servers to host from. Theres plenty of free file sharing hosts such as megaupload, rapidshare, ihud who they can put files on. plus msfn lets u host upto 4mb or there about of stuff anyway.

i think the IRC room is a great idea. as for the tracker i dont really see much point to it. most of the members who release large files, eg update packs, own programs, and other such things have there own web servers to host from. Theres plenty of free file sharing hosts such as megaupload, rapidshare, ihud who they can put files on. plus msfn lets u host upto 4mb or there about of stuff anyway.

Even if the developers have their own web hosting, if the entire community would be seeders for the projects here, it would distribute the bandwidth needed across a great network. Remember a few months ago when RyanVM's site went down because he exceeded his bandwidth? He'd never run into this problem now! When 1000 people all want to download 100MB of files... that's a lot of bandwidth to pay for.... :whistle:

Or me. :(

224.343 GB in two weeks.

Grow to over 80GB a day in last few days.

That's like 2.5TB a month at current rate. That is if I were not to grow even more.

If I could only afford a dicated server. I would not be offline atm. :(

Speaking of how much bandwidth does msfn use?

Edited by war59312