Solution for multibooting Win XP/2k3 64-Bit, Win2k3 SP1, WinPE 2004

geitonaki

you do not need an I386 and AMD64 at the root of your DVD... obtain the boot folder, $WIN_NT$.~BT, rename it, then edit the setupldr.bin/txtsetup.sif files...

this is EXACTLY what I have done!

I renamed the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder to X4E1

I added the original AMD64 and I386 folder inside a \SYSTEM\XPX64EN\ folder

In my X4E1 folder, I ajusted the SetupSourcePath inside the txtsetupsif file to this location (\SYSTEM\XPX64EN\)

In my X4E1 folder, I edited the setupldr.bin to change I386 and i386 to X4E1 (7 occurences)

In my X4E1 folder, I added my winnt.sif file

Am I missing something?

:blink:

Edit: if your stuff is working, could you make a download of your BOOT folder?

Edited by Incroyable HULK

well i am not sure if adding both the i386 and amd64 folders in the XPX64EN folder is problematic. try creating an "XP64" folder in your setup folder (or whatever folder contains the installation files for the other OSes) and copying the entire xp64 installation cd to that folder. in addition to the edits you have made above, be sure to edit the boot image. i have uploaded my boot folder (you may want to delete the winnt.sif thats in there). it can be downloaded at http://rapidshare.de/files/6724995/XP64.zip.html

Edited by amd64lover

well i am not sure if adding both the i386 and amd64 folders in the XPX64EN folder is problematic. try creating an "XP64" folder in your setup folder (or whatever folder contains the installation files for the other OSes) and copying the entire xp64 installation cd to that folder. in addition to the edits you have made above, be sure to edit the boot image. i have uploaded my boot folder (you may want to delete the winnt.sif thats in there). it can be downloaded at http://rapidshare.de/files/6724995/XP64.zip.html

Have you checked before allowing the download your winnt.sif file?

So if I use this boot folder, I need to put the I386 and AMD64 folders in a \SETUP\XP64\ directory?

i forgot to delete it... unless we are running the exact same version of XP64, the winnt.sif file wont work (or at least the cdkey in there wont work). correct, if you use this boot folder, then copy the entire installation cd to the \SETUP\XP64 directory. be sure to edit the XP64.DAT file as well.

Well, still no luck... I used your boot folder and your path but it does exactly the same :(

This is what I get in WMware and on a real computer:

x64.gif

This is to show what files I have...

XP64.gif

It's like the SetupSourcePath entry is ignored... I don't know. If I put the I386 and AMD64 folders at root it will work (but not unattended unless I throw my winnt.sif in there)

I am using a VLK CD I got from Microsoft a few months ago...

*** EDIT ***

I don't think this could matter but I am not using the BOOTSECT.DAT file provided by microsoft, I edit the w2ksect.bin (like I always do) provided with EasyBoot... anyway, I get to the setup so I don't think this has any influence...

Wohaaa

You won't beleive this! I took a ride into the txtsetup.sif file and I found this:

cdname = "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition CD-ROM"

productname = "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition"

bootname1 = "Windows XP Professional Setup Boot Disk"

bootname2 = "Windows XP Professional Setup Disk #2"

bootname3 = "Windows XP Professional Setup Disk #3"

bootname4 = "Windows XP Professional Setup Disk #4"

bootname5 = "Windows XP Professional Setup Disk #5"

bootname6 = "Windows XP Professional Setup Disk #6"

bootname7 = "Windows XP Professional Setup Disk #7"

cdtagfile = "\win51ap"

cdtagfilei = "\win51ip"

cdtagfilem = "\win51mp"

cdtagfilea = "\win51ap"

So I added a dumb WIN51IP and WIN51MP file at the root of the CD and inside \SETUP\XP64\ folder and guess what?

IT'S WORKING! My WMware simulation is going on... the only thing is that I had to press next after the first reboot (at the GUI) ... I'll keep you updated, it's still running

always the simple solutions.....:)

I guess you already had the WIN51IP file (from another Windows) at your root so this is why you didn't get this issue...

Anyway, I still have a few problems:

1- I noticed my drivers didn't get uncompressed at the beginning of the GUI part (T-39)

2- I had to manually click next

halt-x64.gif

3- setup get stuck somewhere at T-33 or T-37 stage...

I'll try with a "simpler" winnt.sif file tomorow

Ok, nevermind, I had the time to try with a simple winnt.sif file and I am at stage T-24 without a hitch now...

Are you guys able to decompress your drivers at stage T-39 with a 7zip SFX archive like:

[GuiUnattended]DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\DP.exe"

Arguments="-y /q /r:n"

• 3 weeks later...
You can now modify setupldr.bin of the follwing windows:
  • Windows Server 2003 SP1
  • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
  • Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
  • Windows PE 2005

The setupldr.bin of the above versions is the same and has a checksum check built-in so when you try to modify it you get:

"NTLDR is corrupt. The system cannot boot."

In order to crack it:

1. open it with your favorite hex editor
  2. goto hex address: 0x2060
  3. change "74 03" to "EB 1A"
  4. save it

I also uploaded it for your convenience at:

File is now attached so people don't have to wait for a download ~ Alanoll

Now you can replace:

1. all occurrences of "i386", "I386" to "ABCD" (where ABCD is anything you want - 4 characters long)
  2. "\amd64", "\AMD64" to "\EFGHI" and
  3. "amd64\", "AMD64\" to "EFGHI\" (where EFGHI is anything you want - 5 characters long)

Do not replace all occurrences of "amd64" since some of them refer to a section of txtsetup.sif

In order to find what files need to be copied to the directories ABCD and EFGHI open command prompt, go to the directory you have txtsetup.sif and enter:

type TXTSETUP.SIF | findstr /r ",_[1-9] ,[1-9]_"

and copy the files listed there from I386 to ABCD and AMD64 to EFGHI.

For anyone curious, open the setupldr.bin with hiew, goto the above hex address and see the surrounding assembly code.

To which folder are you modding the setupldr.bin in?

Is it the one in I386 folder or the front boot folders on the Multiboot DVD?

• 1 month later...
again, your solution work great. i also found that the 'XP64' and 'PRO64' are not necessary. Just take the boot folder ($WIN_NT$.~BT) and rename it to something else (i did mine to XP64) and then edit the setupldr.bin file & replace all instances of "I386" with "XP64", then edit the boot image to show XP64 instead of i386. this is a way to have 1 less folder in your root. i have the x64 boot folder if anyone needs it.

Ok, I've got that bit. The only problem is that I'm on a 32 bit system and my 64 bit laptop isn't coming for a couple of weeks. I therefore can't get the boot folder as setup won't even start. Anyone got a boot folder I can borrow? plz?