Trouble re-installing windows

GetsEmToFixEm

I am currently working on re-installing Windows XP pro SP1 on my girlfriends computer. It boots up with the cd just fine and I can get through most of the setup options. However, when I get to the part where it copies the setup files from the cd, it will not copy certain files. I thought there might be a problem with the hard drive, cd-drive, or cd. So, I removed these elements from her computer and put them into mine. Everything worked perfectly. Is there something I may be misssing here.

I've seen it work fine with just reseating. And then other times I've seen it work fine everywhere else EXCEPT the installation...in that case, I installed WinXP using other known good RAM, then when setup was done I would drop the original RAM back in.

Of course, in any scenario you should always question if it's worth keeping the RAM if it is indeed the problem...in all likely hood it will eventually good bad all the way, so why not replace it now.

And another thing to check...the BIOS. Depending on the make/model there might be some setting in there that are bombing your install. Maybe the RAM settings are too fast...you could try resetting to defaults to see what happens. Be careful though, as that might require you to configure the BIOS to meet her unique settings (Extra Drives, Disable Onboard Sound, etc). And while you're playing there, check and see if there is a new BIOS for the unit...could help too!

Yes, faulty RAM can make weird things happen. Before you put your computer's RAM into her machine you might just re-install her CDROM and hard drives, and try the install again. It could also be a bad ATA cable. In my experience physical connections are the most common source of strange problems.