removing ALL uneccessary drivers?

Wondering...has anyone tried to remove all uneccessary drivers from their XP iso?

So that they won't be avaiable/installed on the machine on which they are irrelevant?

If so, how is it done and/or is it even practical or worth the effort?

cleaning TXTSETUP.INF etc...?

Nope, I havent tried that and I dont know y u would like to do that? Drive space is cheap so for my part I tend to think that it is a nice feature that XP will perform PnP for me when needed with its native driver support.

For masstorage devices, the txtsetup.sif would be a nice file to start removing entries from if u wanna do a removal of the driver entries..

Best Regards

ThaSausageEater

main reason I asked was to cut off some seconds during install... not having to read all those massstorage drivers from cd etc...

I mean, if they are not going to be used, why have them there at all.... gonna tailor the iso for 1 specific and already configured PC anyway...

Will eperiment with TXTSETUP.INF... guess removing entried here will speed up install time a little...but will not save space on CD if I don't also remove the corresponding drivers files....

Edited by -.-PhanTom-.-

Without DriverPack MassStorage, loading all txtmode mass storage drivers from the CD (cannot be disabled, hardcoded setup routine) takes already more than one minute. If you include DriverPack MassStorage, that will easily increase to 3 minutes and longer... Though this is rather 'presetup' than 'setup', people who have automated the partition selection/formatting part(s) of setup, might have some notifiable reduction in installation time, certainly when these installations are being used in corporate environments.

EDIT:

P.S.: it's txtsetup.SIF, not txtsetup.INF! ;)

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky