A+ Certification

totoymola

I'm self taught and going for A+ cert. at present, all this info. was good stuff.

I've been a machinist and mechanic, just quit my job as a factory foreman which I'd had enough of!

I want basic certification for many reasons. We all must start somewhere. A+ is the GED of IT certifications but it may be all I need to start my own gig. I would like to go on to get a MCSE. I'm actuall taking a class because I wanted to go back to school. A practice test is a good idea, I scored about 75%, so I'm taking a cheap class for one month. Thank's to all.

I'm self taught and going for A+ cert. at present, all this info. was good stuff.

I've been a machinist and mechanic, just quit my job as a factory foreman which I'd had enough of!

I want basic certification for many reasons. We all must start somewhere. A+ is the GED of IT certifications but it may be all I need to start my own gig. I would like to go on to get a MCSE. I'm actuall taking a class because I wanted to go back to school. A practice test is a good idea, I scored about 75%, so I'm taking a cheap class for one month. Thank's to all.

this is a bit off topic. but did anyone else read this, in thier head, with the voice of Stewie? :D The pix just kinda did it pretty well... fits the character.

this is a bit off topic. but did anyone else read this, in thier head, with the voice of Stewie? :D The pix just kinda did it pretty well... fits the character.

hah yea i did.

this post is still going at 4 months later? geeze. (didn't read pages 1-3 so can't contirbute to it :P )

When it comes to the A+ cert, I went for it and passed both at the same time with little prep if at all. Completely self taught in PC's. As for the value of A+ versus other certs, the A+ is nothing to employers anymore. Back in the day like 10 years ago it was something. Now, all employers are looking for are MCSE. MCSE versus MCSA is light years differance. MCSA is a slimmed down version saying that yuo are a highly trained MCP but not on the engineer level. You get your MCSE and you are something. I almost did not get my break into Tech Support 3 years ago even though I had my A+ because they were like oh good.... you have an A+..... how... quaint............

Go ahead and get your A+ but don't stop. Continue to get your Net+ if you want to go for networking. Don't get the Net+ if you want to go server side.

It's rediculous how little a tech will make when working for a 'company'.

Been there, done that. It's piddlin' to say the least.

After taxes, its hardly enough to even live on.

A guy with a wife and three kids and a mortgage and two cars just can't make it.

The only one who makes a decent living in the computer repair business is the business owner.

So, why not become the Owner?

I did it in 1995, when I told my last boss to take a hike.

(you can't soar like an Eagle, when you work for a Turkey!) :lol:

After taxes, I was doing good to clear $250 a week.

My first week on my own I made almost four times what I'd been making before.

A decent tech working for himself can make a grand a week easily. That's one thousand dollars, for the ones not familiar with American slang.

All you need is to go around and hand out your business cards and "meet the people" you want to become your customers. Home computer users are the nicest group to do business with. They never ask you for your credentials and they are just so happy to have someone who will come into their home and FIX their ailing PC. Then you give them a little bunch of your cards and they will hand them out to their friends, increasing your business with no more work on your part. Word-of-mouth is the very best advertising you can get. That's exactly how I've built up my own business, that's supported me for the last ten years.

All my customers are the most simple home users. I won't touch a business system on a bet. Just too many headaches. If you're taking care of big commercial systems, you had better be ready to take calls 24x7.

I did that with three former employers (years ago) and I want NO part of it now.

Also you have to be bonded....I don't know how hard that would be for a non US Citizen.

Oh well, just a thought for a lazy Sunday afternoon. :whistle:

Cheers,

Andromeda43 ;)

I wonder, if the original poster is still reading this forum?

Edited by Andromeda43

OMG!! I guess I've been really busy. I never had the chance to visit this thread, neither this site.. :(:P

I haven't read the recent posts yet, but I will when I get back home. :) Andromeda43 sent me a message 2 days ago regarding this thread, and I just saw it earlier.

Thanks to all of your comments guys. I really appreciate it.