A+ Certification

totoymola

Hi guys. I need some advice..

I am a nursing student, but obviously, I am a little obsessed with my computer. I gained my knowledge about computers on my own, without enrolling in any computer class. Yes. That is right. I did not take any computer class in my entire life. Never. :) Everything I know is mostly based on experience, from ebooks, and websites with priceless information (like MSFN). Honestly, I'm not that good, and up to now, I still consider myself as a n00b. But compared to others who did not have any formal computer education like me, I can say that I am on the "average" level.

More than a year ago, my parents sent me here in the US to study. And seriously, my life here is a total b!tch because I got nothing. All I have is my beloved computer.. But what can I do? I cannot complain. I am an international student, so all my money goes to my tuition fee (darn it is so expensive!). I have to stand on my own, face all the hardships in life, try to be happy, and find a way to survive. But how? By getting a job? Yes! I want to get a decent job.. I currently work in the computer lab of my school. However, 20 hours per week @ $7.83/hour, that is not enough. I have to find another job..

I searched for job openings (computer related, of course), and noticed that most employers require B.A. degree (preferabley computer science), and others require a certification (A+ or MCSE). I know I can do the job, but unfortunately, I do not have those requirements.. That is why I am planning to take the A+ Certification test.

My questions are:

1) Will the certification help me find a good paying job?

2) Is the test difficult? Pointers and tips maybe?

3) The CompTIA A+ Certification exam fee is too expensive for me ($89-$255 according to an article on the web). How can I get a discount?

4) Am I doing the right thing? Am I on the right path?

5) Please give me some advice/tips regarding this A+ Certification test, or anything related to this topic.

Thanks for your time.

Carlo

Edited by totoymola

A couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that even though I had some pretty significant computer and networking knowledge I needed certifications to prove it. When an employer is considering several potential candidates, individual pieces of paper can carry a lot of weight. I, too, am aninternational student. I know how expensive it is and how difficult it can be as a stranger in a strange land.

I don't know how valuable A+ certification is. I'm hoping it has some value because it's one of the things I've worked hard to achieve. I doubt that A+ by itself enhances my value significantly. There are ways to get discounts. Unfortunately those ways cost money too. I took a course, for a fee, which entitled me to a discounted testing fee. There are some study guides for sale which offer certain discounts as well. There are two A+ certification tests. One of them is hardware oriented and the other software. Both tests must be passed to achieve A+ certification.

The subject matter of the tests covers all varieties of Windows from 95 through XP, computer internals, addresses (IRQ, DMA, and memory). peripherals (all types of printers, CDROM, hard and floppy disk, keyboard, mouse), networking and connections, (serial, parallel, Ethernet, Firewire, USB). The Windows questions are not nearly as in-depth as Microsoft exams. I wouldn't say the tests are hard. Not if you know everything. They can be very hard if you haven't memorized at least half of the IRQ settings and what they're for, the various stages in the laser printing process, various ways of creating Windows boot disks, different Windows boot processes, etc. There will undoubtedly be a number of questions on your test that are of only historical importance. For instance, "What grade of cable is used in a 10Base-5 network?"

For a reasonable fee you can purchase hundreds of practice questions from various web sites. Many places also offer some practice questions for free. You might start hunting for the free questions and see how you get on with them.

As for "doing the right thing" that depends on many things. I wouldn't suggest that getting into the computer support and repair business is a quick and easy way to the easy life. You might be better off to simply start your own freelance computer repair business. Advertise yourself among your friends and associates, offer them reasonable rates to fix their computers in your spare time, and maybe you can make more than $7.83 an hour.

I did the A+ certification a few years ago while I was working at a local computer shop. All I can tell is that this test is fantastic! This one is divided in two parts, one for hardware skills and the other part for software (OS) skills. You have to pass BOTH of them to obtain your certification.

The thing I liked about this test is that you need experience to go thru, only reading without touching hardware would be almost impossible to pass the hardware test... same goes for the software part.

I would STRONGLY recommend Mike Meyer's Passport A+ Certification book. I don't think you need anything else (beside some experience).

Good luck :hello:

Certifactions do help, becuase its very hard for an employer to know what skills people have etc. so the 2 ways they have are:

experence and certs.

and having Certs never hurt anyone, all they can do is help. and the A+ is a good first one to get, once you pass that one consider getting one or two more and then just work on building experence.

-Nex6

Edited by Nex6

A+ is unlikley to get you a job on its own.

its handy to have done get me wrong but its not something major, its a pretty easy to do exam. infact most people who know how to build and repair machines would probably pass the exams if they did about 2 hours brushing up on port names, system files and ram formats.

If you get your N+, dont be lazy like me, keep going, get your N+ also, and keep going till you get your MCSA or MCP. MCSA is actually more likley to get you a job than MCSE also.. due to the nature of the work. Theres more MCSA jobs than there are MCSE type jobs out there, yet for some reason most people get the MCSE qualification?!!?

Good luck in your endeavours :hello:

Even though I hate certs, with the way the job market is today you should nab up as much as possible. Of course, if you have no skills to back the certs up then you're not gonna get far.

I've got A+, but only because a previous company required it. I was their only tech when they opened their store, and after a few months they decided I needed to be A+, so I took it. Passed it easily, but that's back when it was super easy...they even tested for DOS back then.

In truth I would never work for someone who restricts you just because you don't have a little piece of paper saying you know something. If they are that cold and calculating, then imagine the issues later on...

When I was running my own business, the best techs I had were un-certified. We had one MCSE who just turned out to be a royal dick and didn't like be told how to fix a problem (Even though he would call for help, he still would quote bul***** why it's wrong...even though it worked). We had two A+'s, and they weren't as bad as the MCSE guy, but they **** sure didn't know simple things like the difference between logical and primary paritions, or where windows stores profile info.

I left the business earlier this year because one of our clients just got so big they needed their own dedicated IT guy...so that's my current job. Now I'm doing things that many MCSE's do...but without those silly certs!

I'm not stabbing people who have certs, I think there are several situations where it's good to have certs. The problem I have is with un-qualified people who get certs and then assume they are a tech god. There should be a residency program like in the medical field. If you want to be a Dr., you've got years of school followed by an internship, and then finally a three year residency. So you learn it, then do it...then after you've proven you are capable you starting making the big bucks. Too many people see that whole "And MCSE earns an average of $40,000 a year!" and then drop money into a boot camp to learn the answers. They think they'll be rich compaired to their old jobs now that they are an MCSE...too bad they'll be fired before the first year for being incompitent.

If I was hiring you, I would want to see skills first...then I take into consideration personal skills...and then your job history. If I was still unsure, I might take into account your certs...might.

I've been in the business over 12 years and I am self taught, i'm currently service manager for a company in Ottawa and oversee 3 techs and 2 sub contractors. my previous experience includes a internet/computing business of my own in England, setting up and running a retail computer store in Manchester England and a director of corporate accounts for a computer wholesaler, i also setup their server, POS and Inventory system.

I don't have any cert's and as a manager responsible for hiring over the last 5 years i can say i haven't seen a A+, MCSE certified tech yet that i would hire, all my current techs, barr one, are experienced non certified and i'm still teaching them tricks and techniques...

PS This represents my experience and in no way reflects on anyone from this board.

Thanks for replying guys. I really appreciate it.

While reading all your posts, I noticed that some of you believe that having a certification is a huge advantage, while others think that certification is just a worthless piece of paper, and skills and experience is still the key to success. Let me try to respond to all your posts in order.

@aussiecanuck46, Incroyable HULK, Nex6, and FthrJACK:

Guys, thanks for the encouragement and the tips. I understand what you are saying. If you have a certification and when you apply for a job, the employer will most likely consider you instead of an applicant without any certifications. I know the fact that most employers do not have time to perform a background check on the applicant, and so they will not be able to see the skills of the applicant with no certification. That is the reason why I want to get certified.

Hmm... It seems that you aced the A+ Certification Exam during your time.. Hehehe.. I don't know what is going to happen to me. I'm worried because I don't want to fail the test.

So tell me what happend to your careers after you took the test. Were you able to find a better job? Did you get promoted?

@aussiecanuck46

Wow! I thought I'm the only one.. Hehehe.. Do you cary a student visa (F1) too? If so, we are on the exact same situation (well, kind of..).

As for "doing the right thing" that depends on many things. I wouldn't suggest that getting into the computer support and repair business is a quick and easy way to the easy life. You might be better off to simply start your own freelance computer repair business. Advertise yourself among your friends and associates, offer them reasonable rates to fix their computers in your spare time, and maybe you can make more than $7.83 an hour.
This is what I am doing. But I don't charge them.. I do everything for free.. I will follow your advice man. Next time, I will ask for something in return. Hehehehe..

Thanks for the exam tips!

@Incroyable HULK

The Mike Meyer name sounds familiar.. I will try to find that book on ebay. :P

Wait, you said I have to pass BOTH tests. Does that mean I have to pay for each one of those?

($89 to $255) X 2 = $178 to $510 ?? Is that correct? Sheesh.. That is hella expensive..

@Nex6

I agree with you. Employers will just use certification as a gauge of the applicant's capability.

After A+, what do you think should be next? Is A+ the easiest one?

@FthrJACK

You said it is easy, I will take your word for it. :)

infact most people who know how to build and repair machines would probably pass the exams if they did about 2 hours brushing up on port names, system files and ram formats.

Thanks for the tip! I will focus on those. Hehehe..

By the way, what is N+? Is it a different test? Which is better? I am actually planning to take the MCSE after A+ because I didn't know about MCSA. But I'm not sure yet because this is a temporary career for me. Probably for only a year or two.. Because I'm a nursing student, and I'm still planning to go to a med school. :lol:

@InTheWayBoy and Ghostrider

I strongly agreee with your opinion. I know a lot of people with degree in computer science, computer programming and even IT's, and I am surprised because I can say that I know a lot of things they don't. I'm not trying to boast around, this is just the truth.. A degree can be earned if you are patient. Even if you don't have skills and talent, you can graduate from college. In my job, I am the only one who is not a major in computer science and did not take any computer class. But I am doing classified jobs for the network administrator (without compensation) because she found out that I can do things that my other co-workers cannot do.

Most Filipono computer technicians that I know are not certified. But they are better than the others with a degree or certification. For me, experience is the best teacher. There are a lot of things in life that you cannot learn from books. I respect you guys.

@InTheWayBoy

If I was hiring you, I would want to see skills first...then I take into consideration personal skills...and then your job history. If I was still unsure, I might take into account your certs...might.

I wish all employers are like you.. :)

Edited by totoymola

Supposed to equal the knowledge a basic computer tech should know after a year. It's mostly hardware config/diagnostic, software install, inane hardware info (What's the IRQ for COM4), and windows troubleshooting. But then again that's me talking about an old version. The new one means the same thing, but I hear it's much more in-depth.

I guess, the next cert would depend on what direction in IT you really want to take. look over the Microsoft

certs and see whuch ones apply for the direction you really want to go in.

-Nex6

A+ certifications are good, but lots of people seem to have that one. if you want to get into tech support or trouble shooting it would be a good place to start. Microsoft Certs are useful, but experience counts for alot.

I took my A+ a few years ago, and it covered some Dos, Win95, and Win2000. They change the tests every 3 or so years to keep up with the changing technology. Today, there is little about Dos or Win95. There is more on XP and 2003. Understanding some networking, and how things work. There is a hardware and a software test, and you must pass both. If you fail one, you lose your money and must take that test again. My company paid for my tests, and fortunately, I passed them both. If I had failed, I would have to pay on my own until I finally passed.

I work as a tech, and the cert itself means little to anyone, just something to hang on the wall. The only time I have to have it, is our company demands an A+ witha signature on insurance claims.