USB/NTKERN Problem after update installation

tcobb64

I have a Canon USB printer which had been working perfectly. I downloaded and installed the Unofficial Service Pack updates. When I restarted, I got a "new hardware" window and it wanted to install the printer. I said okay and it went through the motions. However, the printer wouldn't work. I uninstalled the printer from the device manager and the software from add/remove programs. I reinstalled the drivers, turned the printer on, new device recognized, but when it went to make a connection, none was made. I went into device manager, found the reliable yellow problem marker, clicked on properties and got a "NTKERN.VXD" could not load driver" message. I have tried everything out there including reloading windows 98SE. To no avail. Any advice?

what specific model of the Canon USB printer are u using? try checking the Canon support site to see if they have a solution when dealing with ntkern.vxd problem.

also, where exactly do you see the yellow exclamation marker in device manager. and what version of the unofficial 98se service pack did you install on your computer. I am currently using unofficial 98se SP v2.02.

Edited by erpdude8

Open your Windows in Safe Mode, and if it exists, remove ALL Canon printer related programs from Add/Remove Programs. After that, also remove ALL Canon printer related devices from Device Manager (Control Panel-System).

After that, reboot in normal mode, and install your latest Canon printer drivers for Windows 98 SE.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Open your Windows in Safe Mode, and if it exists, remove ALL Canon printer related programs from Add/Remove Programs. After that, also remove ALL Canon printer related devices from Device Manager (Control Panel-System).

After that, reboot in normal mode, and install your latest Canon printer drivers for Windows 98 SE.

Hope this helps.

I would also delete the canon printer registry entries from Registry editor as well after uninstalling the Canon USB printer drivers 'cause there might be some entries left over that didnt get removed.

from now on, I recommend installing any USB devices and its drivers AFTER installing the Win98se service pack.

Didn't work. Thanks anyway.

Here's where you can find info and the latest drivers on the Canon i450 printer:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controlle...=13&Submit.y=17

and if you still have problems operating the Canon i450 printer on a USB port with the 98se pack installed, unplug it and connect the printer onto a parallel port. you will have to un-install the drivers first, then re-install them, then tell the printer driver that it is connected to an LPT port instead of a USB port.

you may want to un-install the 98se pack, tcobb64. then un-install and re-install the canon i450 printer drivers to see if your printer will work properly again. found out at the Canon support site that the i450 printer only connects to usb port, not parallel port.

might want to get a different printer that can connect to either a usb or a parallel port, just like my HP deskjet 630c printer which can connect to either port.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...