HFSLIP Alternate Programs

tommyp

HFLSIP Your Alternate Applications

version 2 dated October 30, 2005. Works with HFLSIP_51030.cmd and newer.

This is an advanced feature, if you are uncomfortable with doing this, then don't do it.

What does this do?

a. Slipstreams alternate things into your source.

Does this require system file protection or any dll replacements?

a. No.

What if I NLITE my source?

a. Do NOT remove what your're trying to replace. (hint - add the filename to your KeepFiles]

Directions

1. Download and place modifype.exe inside the HFTOOLS folder.

2. Create a folder alongside called HFEXPERT

3. Create a folder inside HFEXPERT called APPREPLACEMENT

4. Place files to replace your source files, you must rename them to match the source. See examples below.

5. Run HFSLIP and your done.

Examples:

An alternate Task Manager

TASKMGR.EXE (Rename Sysinternal's Process Explorer executable) [tested OK]

An alternate Media Player

MPLAYER2.EXE (Rename the GNU Media Player Classic executable) [tested OK]

A small executable to redirect links to use an alternate browser

IEXPLORE.EXE (in this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=57970) [untested]

If someone wants to maintain this thread, please step up to the plate. :)

Edited by tommyp

Look at Step 17 of FDV's page for ModiyfyPE

http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html

TommyP, this is a great feature. Also, I replaced Notepad with Edit32pad. Process Explorer replaces TaskManager, built a new CD and installed on VM just fine.

If you use FDV's fileset, won't be able to replace MPLAYER.EXE and IEXPLORE.EXE. You'll have to put them in manually.

Edited by saugatak

@saugatak - Just be sure you are using the listed hfslip version.... HFSLIP will automate lots of stuff when the 51016 version is posted. BTW, if you comment stuff out with FDV's files, I'm sure that the files will copy over correctly. Where is the editpad32? I just started using win32pad and it rocks. http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/

Edited by tommyp

• 2 months later...

What the alternate task manager do better? Eg. will it show my all processes and allow to kill ANY process?

And if at least partly yes - where to get it? :hello:

PS. I replacing the Notepad with NotepadEx for a quite long time just by hand. Any files can be easily replaced even with the running of WFP by simple way. First - KILL by clear delete (not move to trash) all the files into dllcache. Then rename even as important file as shell32.dll to shell32x.dll and copy a modified file named shell32.dll to it's place. Reboot. Now your file is used, winblows can't restore orginal AND you can delete the shell32x.dll orginal file :yes:

Easy :P

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a question about Process Explorer: what version are you using people?

I have a few versions and they are getting bigger: from 525KB in version 8.40 to 3.11MB in version 10.11 (I have not downloaded the latest version as it seems to change only for Vista that I'm not going to use anyway).

Well, I'll probably take v10.06 because:

- it's 1.38MB (v9.25 is 1.18 - not to much to save :)

- "Services can be stopped, resumed, and paused from the Services tab of the Process Properties dialog";

- there is not much new in latter version except I/O bytes (and do I need it?).

hi all! i'm sorry ... been a bit off synch lately ... but is this not exactly what HFSLIP does when we use APPREPLACEMENT ... uhm ... a revived post (didn't notice the year ... 2005) ... he! he! for Proces Explorer, have always used the latest & never encountered any problem with it ... the file size though is indeed different ;)

This is about replacing TASKMGR.EXE with Process Explorer usning APPREPLACEMENT feature of HFSLIP ;)

File differences:

- v8.40 524KB

- v9.25 1.18MB

- v10.06 1.38MB

- v10.11 3.11MB :P

I have not downloaded the latest yet.