Windows 2000 (all)

the_guy

Hi guys (and the_guy),

I've posted full instructions over in the nLite forum on how to create a fully up to date unattended Windows 2000 install CD using as a base the "Unofficial Windows 2000 Service Pack 5.1.2195.24 Refresh".

Hopefully this may be of interest to you, if so please leave a comment asking for a blatant, in your face, redirection from the now closed Hotstream forum.

Edit: Updated for May, now with torrent.

Say, did anyone else get weird Windows Update results this month? It tried installing 2 ancient IE6 cumulative updates on me.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

Hi Kurt, although HFSLIP is already compatable with the USP, very few here opt to use it, preferring to simply keep the HF folder full... sorta the same thing only easier, more up to date, and it uses original MS binaries.

Well, USP may be a little out of date... but it includes some files from hot fixes that were not publically available. For example: I have a USB CDROM and when installing from it some time I get blue sreen... It appeared that this problem is known and M$ even issued a hot fix for this but it is not publically available. I have an origial box retail Windows 2000 but I don't know how and wher to ask for this fix :blushing: USP helped me - there are newer USB supporting files in it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, USP may be a little out of date... but it includes some files from hot fixes that were not publically available. For example: I have a USB CDROM and when installing from it some time I get blue sreen... It appeared that this problem is known and M$ even issued a hot fix for this but it is not publically available. I have an origial box retail Windows 2000 but I don't know how and wher to ask for this fix :blushing: USP helped me - there are newer USB supporting files in it.

Go to The Hotfix Share and download KB827675. It's in the upload section until next Sunday, then it will be in the download section in English Windows 2000 fixes.

the_guy

• 2 weeks later...

The Hotfix Share contains 31 hotfixes in Windows 2000 section. Those hotfixes are claimed to be not available via Windows Update, some require requesting. Does that mean that one should rather have them all slipstreamed along with the official ones?

Non-public hotfixes are not as well tested as the public ones. You may experience problems installing them.

Also, there may be some which are not supported by HFSLIP (because of an unusual or unknown internal composition, because files need to be renamed, because files need to be embedded in CAB packages existing in your SOURCE which are not yet covered by HFSLIP, or because files need to be copied into a non-standard location on the hard disk during Windows setup).

Test at your own risk :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@ the_guy:

You've got a hotfix listed under the FDV set as KB937413. It should be KB937143.

@ everyone:

I've done my research on this (both here and elsewhere on the net), and can't find any solid answers, so I'm asking you. For an FDV build of Win2K, do I need *only* the HF's listed in the FDV Fileset section? Or do I also need the ones listed above (sorted by month)? I ask because many HF's in that section are for IE Core issues, etc - which shouldn't really be needed for an FDV build. Help?

EDIT - for clarity

Edited by Artisan