Request - Enable 4MB pages in windows xp

gdogg

The default windows memory manager is not capable of handleing 4mb pages by default. There is not registry tweak or boot.ini tweak to do this. It seems to me that 7-max acts kind of like a wrapper for the windows memory manager in order to allow this functionality.

Also 7-max is open source so you can check the code for your self.

Be warned that in my test only programs that were very memory intensive showed performance improvements. In fact non memory intensive programs were sometimes slower.

But the good thing is that useing this program you can choose whether to let windows or 7-max handle memory management on a per application bases without haveing to reboot.

I cant afford to test it right now, my cd rom cant boot a windows cd anymore, but for some reason will boot a partition magic cd fine.

so I will test it once i get a new motherboard, fixing the problem

edit i got cd rom working.

and will be testing this shortly :D

Edited by gdogg

Cool will be wiating for ur results. Somehow I dont know if it should help any. I think in certan scenarios the makers of XP made sure that it was optimized given certain parameters. Maybe having such large page files is good in some scenarios like running a server or something and maybe it is not beneficial if you are running a home machine. who knows? I dont!

I dont even know what type of number to pick :P

but I will try anyway, in the end, I wont know if performance was increased, but I will know, if windows will still boot. But I am sure it will do something.

I tested it, not what I wanted. just caused problems editing it.

Edited by gdogg