Program Files & Program Files 64?

tltan86

Program Files is used for programs written in 64 bit code (and hence making full use of your operating system and processor for speed and memory improvements)

Program Files (x86) is used for normal 32 bit programs (which will run the same speed)

When installing programs windows will automatically install to the proper corresponding Program Files.

Edited by dale5605

• 2 weeks later...

I've just installed winxp 64bit and i set my program files location to be on d: but only for my 64bit programs. anyone know what the winsif command for setting the 32bit programs location?

On a side note when i first installed the system my unattended disk somehow corrupted my d: partition and i had to reformat it. good things i had it backed up but usually you can just install safe in the knowledge that only c: will be touched. oh well.

[data]
msdosinitiated="0"
floppyless="1"
AutoPartition="1"
;don't verify any files (allow patched windows files)
UseSignatures=no
InstallDir="\WINDOWS"
EulaComplete=1
winntupgrade=no
win9xupgrade=no
;no add users stuff
unattendswitch=yes
AutomaticUpdates=yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
; allow f6 drivers
OEMPreinstall=Yes
WaitForReboot="No"
UnattendSwitch="yes"
Repartition=No
DUDisable=Yes
TargetPath=\Windows
KeyboardLayout="United Kingdom"
unused=unused
NoWaitAfterGuiMode=1
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
ProgramFilesDir="d:\Programs"
CommonProgramFilesDir="d:\Programs\Common Files"

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword="test"
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=85
OemSkipWelcome=1
ProfilesDir = "d:\Profiles"

[UserData]
ProductKey="x"
FullName="test"
OrgName="test"
ComputerName=*
productid="x"

[Display]
BitsPerPel=16
Xresolution=800
YResolution=600
Vrefresh=60
;disable annoying is this resolution right box
AutoConfirm=1

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=44
AreaCode=0113
Dialing=Tone

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language=00000809
SystemLocale=00000809
UserLocale=00000809
UserLocale_DefaultUser=00000809
InputLocale=0809:00000809
InputLocale_DefaultUser=0809:00000809

[FavoritesEx]
Title1="http://www.google.co.uk.url"
URL1="http://www.google.co.uk"

[URL]
Home_Page="http://www.google.co.uk"

[Components]
msnexplr=off
AutoUpdate = On
Media_clips = Off
Media_utopia = Off
Mousepoint = Off

[Shell]
; keep standard classic theme for performance
DefaultThemesOff=Yes

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=MAYVILLE

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[GuiRunOnce]
command6="%systemdrive%\temp\RunOnceEx.cmd"

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=7483

seems you can set it afterwards via the reg

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop is an AMD X64 Turion but it came pre-loaded with XP Home.

I've since reformatted the hard drive, split the partitions, did a totally new clean install with XP Pro X64 edition on the C drive and the XP Home edition on the D drive and the 3rd partition for working files and storage.

In the C drive with the XP X64 OS, I've noticed that there are now 2 program files

- Program files (which I presume is where X64 native softwares will go to)?

- Program File X86 (which I presume is where 32bit softwares will be installed?)

Am I correct to assume the above? Please correct and explain further if my understanding of the above is wrong.

Questions:

1) if 32bit apps go into the X86 Program file, do I actually need a second OS (XP Home or Pro) in the 2nd partition?

2) is the 32-bit XP Home OS is necessary for apps & drivers (printer, scanner etc) that are only available in 32-bit?

3) will these peripherals (printer, scanner) work seamlessly if for example, I were to open an app that is 64bit native booted in the X64 OS and tried to print it on a 32-bit color printer, for example?

4) Anyone know of any anti-virus/utilities/spyware softwares that are 64-bit ready? Norton's Sytemworks is still only 32-bit and in fact, the software's CD is not even readable if I were to boot the laptop on XP 64.

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well to answer your first question...I know a lot of people are just happy with using the 64 bit XP and not requring the use of the 32 bit flavor. There are some issues as to gettign drivers to work but since I have yet to use 64 bit XP I am not sure on the topic. Bottomline is there are a lot of softwares that yet need to be ported to 64 bit.

On a side note when i first installed the system my unattended disk somehow corrupted my d: partition and i had to reformat it. good things i had it backed up but usually you can just install safe in the knowledge that only c: will be touched. oh well.

Are you sure it corrupted that hard drive? Windows XP x64 will not recognize all disks formatted even if they were formatted in x86 Windows XP. To get around this you can convert the disk to a Basic Disk with the disk management.

In the C drive with the XP X64 OS, I've noticed that there are now 2 program files

- Program files (which I presume is where X64 native softwares will go to)?

- Program File X86 (which I presume is where 32bit softwares will be installed?)

Am I correct to assume the above?

Yes, this is correct - an application installer should identify itself as a 32-bit or 64-bit application and the OS puts it into the relevant Program Files folder.

Questions:

1) if 32bit apps go into the X86 Program file, do I actually need a second OS (XP Home or Pro) in the 2nd partition?

No, there is no need for a second OS if the application runs happily in WOW64 mode (32-bit emulation on a 64-bit OS).
2) is the 32-bit XP Home OS is necessary for apps & drivers (printer, scanner etc) that are only available in 32-bit?

3) will these peripherals (printer, scanner) work seamlessly if for example, I were to open an app that is 64bit native booted in the X64 OS and tried to print it on a 32-bit color printer, for example?

32-bit apps (running in user mode) should run happily in a 64-bit OS via emulation (see above) so you don't need a 32-bit OS for those.

If your printer/scanner/webcam/whatever manufacturer has not produced a 64-bit driver and there isn't a compatible alternative, you cannot use it in XP x64 Edition.

You absolutely, positively cannot use 32-bit drivers or run any 32-bit kernel-mode code on a 64-bit version of Windows.

4) Anyone know of any anti-virus/utilities/spyware softwares that are 64-bit ready? Norton's Sytemworks is still only 32-bit and in fact, the software's CD is not even readable if I were to boot the laptop on XP 64.
For AV I use avast! 4.6 64-bit.

For a firewall I use the Windows Firewall until ZoneLabs get a 64-bit version of ZA Pro produced.

MS Antispyware is your best bet for malware detection.

• 4 weeks later...

ok heres my question,

i tried installing some softwares that windows itself recognized them as 32 bit(program files(x86)) ad they worked fine so i wondering what happens if i install them on program files folder(64 bit) and i did it and they are fine again.

so will the performance be diffrent now that they are on the prog files folder?

What's more interesting is that some apps don't like the ('s in (x86), so you tend to end up with three Program Files directories.... Well, I did... I've got Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Program Files x86...

I think it's more for friendly sorting of the applications. I'm sure they could all be lumped into one directory, buy by sorting it it makes troubleshooting things easy and such....