Installing Java silently

ji46

Download the Windows (Offline Installation) version of Java from

http://java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp

start the installation as usual. Accept the licence agreement and then look for the following files at

C:\Documents and Settings\ <Your User name will be here> \Local Settings\Application Data\{3248F0A6-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150050} (these numbers and letters are purely random so will be anything).

Note: The Application Data folder is hidden unless you use Control Panel-->Folder Options-->View-->Show hidden folders and files)

In this folder will be two files called 1033.MST and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 5.msi

Save these files to another folder in your unattended setup. Start the installation using

c:\folder name\J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 5.msi /qb

Well this is what i use and it works just dandy :D

ECHO Installing Sun Java VM 1.5.0

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\{FOLDER NAME}\jre-1_5_0_05-windows-i586-p.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1"

Of Course this is for I Explorer, Im sure you can work out the substitues for other browsers there....

Well, I know there are several ways to to do this...but I use the following in my RunOnceEx file:

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 3 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\Applications\jre150_u5.exe /s /v\"/qb ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 reboot=Suppress reboot=ReallySuppress JAVAUPDATE=0 INSTALLDIR=e:\Progra~1\java\jre\"" /f

This allows me to just download direct from Sun (no offense RyanVM - you do excellent things for us!), block rebooting (never could figure out which of those two reboot commands really works - have seen both), prevent immediate updating, and choose the install directory.

Note - don't forget all the quotes! Also, keep in mind that you can't use Strings when choosing the install directory (e.g. %Program Files%)

Hope that helps.... :)

Ran

Dale505>how did you remove the other languages? (and justshred)

Do the administrative install and you will get the .msi installer, the program files folder, and a folder called common. In the common folder you will see the archives for java like core 1, core 2, core 3, extra. I don't remember off the top of my head but I think you delete the "extra.zip" archive, and also the other one that is not named core. So you are left with core1, core2, and core3.

Then in your command use ADDLOCAL=jrecore

That will specify to only install the cores and not the additional languages and other things.

To remove jusched startup entry you use the command JAVAUPDATE=0

I've seen a few different lines for installing it with the .exe-file.

One of the things that differ is the number and placement of quotation marks and switches:

/s /v /qn or /s /v"/qn or /s /v\"/qb

Also:

ADDLOCAL=Jrecore,extra IEXPLORER=1 or ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1

Will this work (in RunOnceEx):

"whateverpath\Jre.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=Jrecore,extra IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0"

Edited by DL.

"whateverpath\jre.exe /qb-! CUSTOM=1 ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 JAVAUPDATE=0 REBOOT=Suppress "

That is what I prefer to use. But yes yours should work I think.

What is the -! part in /qb-! for?

What does CUSTOM=1 do?

"whateverpath\jre.exe /qb-! CUSTOM=1 ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 JAVAUPDATE=0 REBOOT=Suppress "

What does CUSTOM=1 do?

The ! flushes each line to the log.

The CUSTOM=1 shows the user just the progress bar and removes the cancel button.

What does CUSTOM=1 do?

The ! flushes each line to the log.

The CUSTOM=1 shows the user just the progress bar and removes the cancel button.

Ok

• 1 month later...
Dale505>how did you remove the other languages? (and justshred)

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 3 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\Applications\jre150_u5.exe /s /v\"/qb /L1036 ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 reboot=Suppress reboot=ReallySuppress JAVAUPDATE=0 INSTALLDIR=e:\Progra~1\java\jre\"" /f

/L = Switch

1036 = french language

/L1036 = install in french language only

Edited by dzed