Changing default logon

bludtaino

I just did my first unattended install of XP and now, each time I restart my computer, it restarts in the Admin logon instead of just the Welcome screen (which would be great) or my primary user account (which would be great as well).

I tried to do a search, and I ended up getting things relating to how many times it should autologon.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Namaste

XP Pro.

I would like to not log into Admin by default. I would prefer to go to the welcome screen and choose, but if not, I can go straight into my primary user account. I have no idea how to utilize the Group Policy Service.

Thanks in advance.

My mistake, it isn't the group policy, it's a registry key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"AutoAdminLogon"="0"

Setting autoadminlogon to 0 will stop the auto login process.

Edited by kegobeer

That worked fabulously. Thanks again.

It did, however, lead to an additional question . . .

When chaning that setting, I noticed a registry entry marked "DefaultUserName" & "DefaultPassword". The first one has a value of "Administrator" and the second has a value of my Administrator password. Would it be safe to either delete these keys or change their values to zero?

Thank you again.

Here's another sugestion. Type "control userpasswords2" in the run box. This will allow you to select a user and make that user log-in automatically. This should also modify the "DefaultUserName" & "DefaultPassword" registry keys.