Installing WinME dll's

Hi! :hello:

Ok, I know there's 98se2me.exe, but I want to do it manually.

Talking about dependencies, could you please tell me which dll can be installed alone and which not?

I suppose all .exe programs (taskmanager, clipbrd, etc...) will be no problem, but I'm worried about dll's.

I'm not pretending you to give me a complete list ;) but please tell me if I need to take care about some dll's, following your personal experience.

As I don't want to take the risk of installing the complete 98se2me.exe, I'll install only a feww libraries.

What about .acm, .drv and .sys files?

Thanks! :yes:

Hi! :hello:

Ok, I know there's 98se2me.exe, but I want to do it manually.

Talking about dependencies, could you please tell me which dll can be installed alone and which not?

I suppose all .exe programs (taskmanager, clipbrd, etc...) will be no problem, but I'm worried about dll's.

I'm not pretending you to give me a complete list ;) but please tell me if I need to take care about some dll's, following your personal experience.

As I don't want to take the risk of installing the complete 98se2me.exe, I'll install only a feww libraries.

What about .acm, .drv and .sys files?

Thanks! :yes:

We will let the creator of the 98se2me.exe pack, MDGx, answer your questions. I will say that installing file manually is not a good idea since some .DLL, .EXE and some system files are in use by Windows and you will not be able to overwrite them and you must go into MS-DOS mode to overwrite some of the system files that are in use by the operating system.

wait for a response from MDGx.

Well, I've just found some answers for being (myself) such an id*** :(

I downloaded Tihiy's Revolutions Pack, and installed by mistake the Shell upgrade. It's very nice, but when then I noticed I couldn't go back to the normal explorer. I began to put again the original dll's (Spanish version) overwriting the ones with the package (English version). The result: I've just reinstalled W98SE :wacko:

So yes, good advice, let's see if MDGX can show me a light in the tunnel :hello:

Thanks!

Adamastor,

If you go to MDGx's website you'll see the complete manual instructions there.

He's had those there since he started experimenting with it himself and kept adding more files as he found them safe to use.

However, his batch installer does the same job without any fuss. It allows you to choose to leave out the additional extras the full program offers. For example, I always use option 2 as this just does 98SE2ME without the available addon software I'd rather not have.

So the info is there for you, but I can't see why you'd want to go through all that yourself as well as risk one little typing error or replacing some files without associated files that those might need so Windows doesn't break.

It's tested, it's mature, so why not just use it?

I will say that installing file manually is not a good idea since some .DLL, .EXE and some system files are in use by Windows and you will not be able to overwrite them and you must go into MS-DOS mode to overwrite some of the system files that are in use by the operating system.

Come on erpdude, there is no need to go into DOS to replace locked system files. Wininit is there for doing the job automatically at reboot. It's way easier than DOS, especially with third party freeware GUI tools like, for example, CopyLock.

Thanks for the replies :hello:

Well, I want to do it manually cause I got a copy of WinME in Spanish (I use Spa W98se too). So I don't want to mix it with English (nothing against English :) ) because it may cause some problems (as I've just experienced with the RP4). I know, as the dll's may call for different resources, that you can't know which ones will work on my system, but I suppose that there must be some libraries that are less 'sensitive' than others so I could change them without problem (or executables, like the WinME scandisk, which I can use at no risk).

Maybe not dll's, but I could change the .vxd, .drv... etc.

Cheers! :hello:

To replace manually the files that are also replaced automatically by 98SE2ME, please see the step-by-step guide:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

Even more details are in 98SE2ME READ1ST.TXT:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

If anybody finds any other files that can be replaced from WinME into Win98SE, please post them here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

so I can also test them and eventually add them to 98SE2ME.

Thanks.

Please post all questions/comments/requests related to "killer replacements" and/or 98SE2ME here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

Hope this helps.