XP HORROR STORIES

wizardofwindows

Then their was the time XP decided to remove my entire profile...
Remove your profile? There's no way XP did this on it's own, in fact there's no option for it anywhere. Sounds like spyware/virus or a 3rd party app of some kind. Perhaps the same faulty HD?

Yes, it can. If there is a buton you can press in an interface screen to delete profiles, there's definately a way a software script can delete it.

post-16482-1130446918_thumb.png

I tried XP, went back to Win2k which is IMO, the best OS M$ ever made.

I KNOW Win2k is faster. I've done extensive testing on all my machines. WinXP is only faster in limited circumstances when you have over 512MB RAM and an Intel 4 chip over about 1.5 GHz AND are running multiple CPU intensive processes. Then XP's support of hyperthreading can come into play, whereas Win2k does not support hyperthreading.

However, if you have a dual CPU machine, the benefits of hyperthreading are pretty much wiped out by the processors having to do an after you Claude dance as they decide to prioritize tasks. Under those circumstances, Win2k is faster as it's not burdened by unncessary hyperthreading.

XP SP2 install: approximately 3.5 GB

Win2k SP4 intall: approkimately 480MB

There's about 3 GB of mainly useless crap in XP. You need to do a huge amount of nLiting to get that crap out. Where do I begin?

1. Goofy cartoonlike interface?

2. Crappy built in firewall, virus monitor and other useless features in SP2. Can't even remove them except through nLite if you want to put in a real firewall.

3. Crappy CD Burner taking up space.

4. Countless unnecessary services running in background eating up memory and processor time.

I don't have objection to M$ loading their crappy utilities in the OS as long as M$ GAVE YOU THE OPTION OF TAKING THEM OUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM.

I use FDV's fileset and nLite to reduce my Win2k install to 225 MB including Sun Java and lots of other utilities. Installs in 15 minutes.

Only real advantage of XP is faster boot up time. But I replaced Win2k's NTDETECT.COM and ntldr with Win2kServer's versions and get boot times that are just as fast.

They're both pretty stable, but WinXP seems to hang more IMO.

I got so many horror stories I don't even know where to begin!

1. I was first exposed to XP in 2002 with a Dell laptop. My horror story was seeing the new Luna UI. That, in itself was my first horror story.

2. A reoccuring problem that was never fixed was when XP first boots up, I open up My Computer to see a searching flash light for about 5 minutes. I think it has something to do with the network connections looking for IP addresses, but all my NIC's have static IP's.

3. Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003 on ANY XP machine. That's beyond a nightmare. (Though, that one's more of a NAV horror story.)

4. System Restore never worked right, except when my DVD-ROM drive mysteriously disappeared from device manager.

5. ACTIVATION FAILED is the most annoying message I've ever gotten out of XP... from a legal copy.

6. Automatic Updates still running even after I've disabled it.

7. Windows reminding me that I need to reboot for the updates to be installed...every 20 minutes.

8. My Network Places. I don't want XP searching for shared network folders automatically, that's MY job. Also, in win2k, the my network places folder has "entire network" and "computers near me" located right in the folder. In XP's network places, I gotta search around for the goddamn computers/networks.

9. Networking an XP computer to a computer running any other OS. That's always a nightmare.

10. WMP/IE/WinMessenger/MSN Explorer integrated into the OS. I gotta go through with XP Lite to clear out all the sh!t that gets installed.

I got more of em but my fingers hurt from typing and I can't think of anymore right now. That's my top 10!

haven't really had any real problems with WinXP. and i usually use reformats to fix the comp anyways lol. Sound not workin? plop my unattended winxp cd in go watch part of a movie, or go outside the house and do somethin. come back about 30-40 minutes later and bam.. theres my OS with all my favorite Apps, games, app settings, registry settings, services disabled, custom theme, and all hotfixes. (hope i didn't miss anything) lol. god i love you MSFN :D

format sure beats fixin the computer. spend 3 hours to figure out some driver problem, or some random .dll file corrupted, or just reformat and it works again.

I installed Windows XP to see what it was like and to my horror I saw a big ugly interface that I later learned was known as "Luna".

I hated Luna at first, used Windows Classic for like 4 months after getting WinXP. then saw the Metallic color scheme, so used that for a month or two. then heard about UXTheme.dll, got mine patched and now i change my Visual Style practically every day.

it's not to bad, once you get used to it.

Edited by Bi0haZarD

i never really had a major error in Window xp pro but, except for one day i was reinstalling windows xp pro on my Brand new 160gb hard drive it came up with a error and said that the hard drive was Corrupted and could not install windows xp. :realmad:

But i never tried installing windows xp home and then upgrade it to pro

When XP first came on the scene, I didn't care for it. I hated the Luna theme, I didn't find it any faster, I felt the OS was "bloated" with features I did not need, etc... Plus, I was perfectly happy with the computer I had running 98SE, and I have never been one to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. That was several years ago.

Now, however, I feel that XP is definately the best OS available. I have found that since SP2 it is very stable, fast and reliable. Many bash M$ for constantly needing to supply updates and patches, but I commend them for continuing to improve their product. Today's fully updated XP is practially a different OS compared to original gold version. Thanks to NLite as well for allowing me to remove the "bloat" and customize my OS just the way I want it.

No horror stories here. (at least not in quite a while).