Windows update with FDV's fileset

pene

@tain:

I was kinda referring to something else, I'll summarize it up for you as its splitted in many threads in the old forum (all written by fdv :hello:)

my post before this one has a CODEBOX that has an INF file in it. i need someone to see if it installs Windows Update using my fileset. Use my files, and save the CODEBOX contents as AU.INF, replacing my empty one. my goal is to add the background windows update agent as well as the IE one. what you would do is visit windows update by typing the url into an explorer bar (after having installed MSHTML.INF from my fileset).

there are two ways windows updates itself, and in the INF installer text, you'll see a file with a CPL extension. that is the control panel applet for "keep windows up to date automatically." that, and updates via a url typed in the explorer bar (after having right clicked and installed mshtml.inf from my fileset) are what i was investigating.

i need someone to use my fileset, replace the contents of AU.INF with the CODEBOX contents in my post with the chili recipe, and install. then install mshtml.inf, and see if 1) the control panel applet works, 2) windowsupdate works via "windowsupdate.micrsoft.com" typed into an explorer windows titlebar.

The codebox that fdv is referring to can be found here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=32125&st=681#

Regards,

Pene

1. install winhtml.inf

2. install the INF from the codebox

3. go to the control panel and look at Automatic Updates, see if:

a. it is enabled

b. if it lets you make selections

c. if it starts to actually work!

i have not tried it out yet, busy on other things... anyone care to have a go? no rush, like TAiN points out, we DO have a better option anyway.

Edited by fdv