WinPE2005 and XP install errors..

Br4tt3

Lo pepz

I am trying out the solution accelerator from MS, BDD 2.5 (Business Desktop Deployment) where u in the process end up with a WinPE2005 .iso built from a Win2003 SP1 source. Once I have this .iso, and now it starts to get wiered:

The same .iso file. If I run it under a VPC session, it works (connects over the net, copies files down to local drive, and kicks of the installation). If I boot it from my RIS machine (onto another physical machine), it copies files down to the local drive, kicks of the WinXP setup, and approx 5 seconds later it ends with:

"Out of memory" and then quits...

Any ideas??

Best Regards

I initally had an issue like this when I was first developeing with PE 2005. Actually... I was migrating my build form PE 1.2 to PE 2005. What I found was in the process I was moving files that were not compatible.

Ex... If you had a PE 1.2 build... you must now re-compile the Optional components. Any hotfixes you added must be cleared. Drivers (if SP Specific) must be re-installed.

Basically... Start over. Once I did that. My out of memory issues wen away.

Chris

Edited by ChrisBaksa

Oki, I will do that... i am pretty sure I did that in the first place but what the hell... :)

thanks anyway Chris.. I will give it a go! Just seems wiered that it works in a virtual environment but on the HW it fails...

Have a nice weekend dudes..

Redid the whole thing, rebuilt the WinPE image and RIS and everything else... same stuff. The WinPE 2005 .iso file works when in a VPC environment, when burning the .iso to a CD and booting of it, it only crasches on the Win2003 RIS machine (the actual WinPE boot from RIS works, but it is when it is trying to execute the winnt32.exe installation of WinXP SP2 from the local source that it fails with "Out of memory")

I have set the reminst share to read share permission for everyone, seemed to be a issue with WMI and the permissions when WinPE was trying to write logs back to the RIS box. But still same zx$x@u?xu-Xuzux...

Any clues, I am out of em... ???

Thankz..

See... Now why didnt I think of that! :) Poor imagnation I guess..

Thanks Mats, I will go ahead and try to boot the .iso from RAM instead and see where I end up this time.

Until then.. from tha Sausage Eater.