Best Slipstream Method?

Slipstreaming  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which method do you prefer?

• RyanVM
    • HFSLIP
    • svcpack

Which slipstreaming method do you perfer and why??

I cant say I have tried HFSLIP but from looking at it puts all the updated files into $OEM$ so you have to be installing your computer using OemPreinstall. It would be a great help if you have tried both to tell me/us what you though of the diffrent methods, pros + cons

www.ryanvm.net

www.vorck.com/hfslip.html

Ryan> how about making another pack just containing the Critical and Important hotfixes?

Don't see a need to install things that there is really no need for...

Update: Ahh just saw at your board that this is exactly what you plan to do for the next release...cool ;)

Edited by -.-PhanTom-.-

• 4 months later...

integrate switch (svcpack) just adds one by one quiet installs to source, that's not slipstreaming at all.

'slipstreaming' involves removal of useless components (e.g. uninstaller) found in each fix, and then adding everthing to I386 with the proper directives in the right files. Integrate switch is useless, leaves source way too large, better off making one large switchless installer, I do this from time to time, removing backup files at the end.\

As for the other two...tried both, each have pros and cons depending on current updates and build of RVMpack or HFSlip at the time. Deployed as packaged by MS usually most stable.

I guess that's 'none of the above'.

Edited by thuun derboy

I cant say I have tried HFSLIP but from looking at it puts all the updated files into $OEM$ so you have to be installing your computer using OemPreinstall.

Ummm, you say you didn't use HFSLIP, but you are making a totally false statement here. HFSLIP does NOT use the $OEM$ folder. It slipstreams your files into the i386 folder, just as RyanVMs does. As a side note, HFSLIP does more OSs and all languages. With HFSLIP, you could also slipstream one hotfix or you can slipstream a hundred. The best part is that each patchday festival (2nd tues of each month) you download the update(s) from M$FT, run HFSLIP, run NLITE and you're done. HFSLIP was written to be NLITE friendly (and it always worked fine for me and others). Codejunkie, why not give HFLSIP a test run?

frankly i think any winner will be a function of the OS the person uses.

i do not use windows xp, i think it's a piece of garbage, and i think i'm being kind.

i use windows 2000 and 2003... i can understand the appeal of the ryanvm for an xp user who just got xp yesterday and they don't want to download lots of ms patches.

the interface peculiarities are so weird in that os, just figuring out how to do something simple (such as making the window controls bigger or showing the recycle bin) makes me have to stop and really concentrate on something that should be more straightforward, but i'm off on a tangent.

as for 2003, there is no unofficial pack to download... as for 2000, there is an unofficial pack for it, and no disrespect at all to the other MSFN win 2000 enthusiast who compiles it, but even though i have a high bandwidth connection, i don't want to have to re-download a 227 meg service pack a few weeks after every patch day festival. (even if i did want to, though, HFSLIP is compatable with that).

Edited by fdv

• 6 months later...
frankly i think any winner will be a function of the OS the person uses.

i do not use windows xp, i think it's a piece of garbage, and i think i'm being kind.

i use windows 2000 and 2003... i can understand the appeal of the ryanvm for an xp user who just got xp yesterday and they don't want to download lots of ms patches.

the interface peculiarities are so weird in that os, just figuring out how to do something simple (such as making the window controls bigger or showing the recycle bin) makes me have to stop and really concentrate on something that should be more straightforward, but i'm off on a tangent.

as for 2003, there is no unofficial pack to download... as for 2000, there is an unofficial pack for it, and no disrespect at all to the other MSFN win 2000 enthusiast who compiles it, but even though i have a high bandwidth connection, i don't want to have to re-download a 227 meg service pack a few weeks after every patch day festival. (even if i did want to, though, HFSLIP is compatable with that).

Boooggy is right seeing he maintaince one and I maintain the other.

and the has always been AutoPatcher...

LOL and where did you get the figure of 227MB? you download SP2 integrate it into the source and work from that integrating at pack that 20-40MB

tested hpslip... but will continue to try it...

found out hpslip copy a HFSLIP.CMD into svrpack file ( i dun like this / can del it?)

as

@ECHO OFF

IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\CMDOW.EXE cmdow @ /HID

Title HFSLIP

FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\I386\SVCPACK SET HFSLIP=%%i:\I386

FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR /B %SYSTEMROOT%\*.TMP') DO (

ATTRIB -R %SYSTEMROOT%\%%I

DEL /F /Q %SYSTEMROOT%\%%I

)

SET PREP=%~dp0

CD /D %HFSLIP%

EXIT

and the cat inside svcpack is not cab ....

i have read the instructions <--- this annoying....

it should be updated more userfriendly....

i like ryan style because it dun copy any file extra inside my cd....user friendly too... download a pack intergrate... done...

just my opinion.... and liking

HFSLIP should do the same too... i hope....

HFSLIP is a super batch file i ever found today....

amazing batch....but need keep up....

Edited by cyberloner