Windows Prefetching Reference

Mastertech

It is the layout.ini file in the C:\Windows\Prefetch If the file is not there then Prefetching is not working. Also check the dates on the layout.ini and boot.pf file, they need to be recent or it can mean at some point Prefetching was disabled or broken. As for editing it, it is not a good idea.

Nope, no layout.ini which I guess is because I have no defragmenter and/or have disabled the automatic "layout-of-files"-thingie with nLite. No boot.pf either, although an NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf and a BOOTSTRAP.EXE-328DB08F.pf, and many other for applications. It really seems my test is flawed :) Ah well, someone else needs to take over, I'll edit my post to say that it's flawed. I don't want to reinstall a working windows just to test this :/

Edit: Done, if someone misses that, they are surely blind :P

Edited by Ibis

lol

well i'd post my tests, but i'd be called a lier, cheater or something else :D

it went somethng like this

prefetch 3 85 seconds boot time

prefetch 0 50 seconds boot time

still to long for my tastes, but my dad seems to like all those things he uses in his full version of mce 2004

Edited by gdogg

Ibis,

Sorry there is no boot.pf the pf file for boot is NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf. So it is creating the file but without the layout.ini it has no way to further optimize it. That makes sense. How many people remove the defragmenter with an nLite install?

PerfectDisk claims to use the layout.ini file to optimize file locations. Diskeeper doesn't touch it and just lets it work as normal. Even with Diskeeper installed the Disk Defragmenter is still there you just cannot access it from the GUI. The prefetcher can still use the Disk Defragmenter with the layout.ini even with Diskeeper installed.

Edited by Mastertech

Well, one system says nothing, and not just one test either :) We need tests from many people to be able to draw any conclusion. My test is flawed as hell, so a new one would be good anyhow. It's not that hard really, no need to cleanse the cache if you have disabled the prefetch for testing anyway, cause it isn't used after that, so that should speed up any tests done, not cleaning the cache I mean.

Ibis,

Sorry there is no boot.pf the pf file for boot is NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf. So it is creating the file but without the layout.ini it has no way to further optimize it. That makes sense. How many people remove the defragmenter with an nLite install?

PerfectDisk claims to use the layout.ini file to optimize file locations. Diskeeper doesn't touch it and just lets it work as normal. Even with Diskeeper installed the Disk Defragmenter is still there you just cannot access it from the GUI. The prefetcher can still use the Disk Defragmenter with the layout.ini even with Diskeeper installed.

Oh then I see :) I always remove it because I couldn't se any reason to keep it when PerfectDisk is so much better. Hmm, might be that without the default defragmenter installed something is missing for the layout.ini to be created and PerfectDisk can't use it. Hmm, and when I think of it, I might not have run it in this version of my install :S EDIT: Yep, I have, on the fifth this month, so I guess it does need the default defragmenter installed. Or PerfectDisk lies :P I'll go and edit my test again.

Edited by Ibis

i think one of the reasons for my xp booting so much faster without prefetch.

Must be because, i have a partition @ the begginning of my drive i use for the operating system, so windows and my boot programs are always on the first 2GB of the hard drive, making this layout.ini thing, not do soo much at all.

especically when i got perfect disk, defragmenting so well also

Well, one system says nothing, and not just one test either We need tests from many people to be able to draw any conclusion. My test is flawed as hell, so a new one would be good anyhow. It's not that hard really, no need to cleanse the cache if you have disabled the prefetch for testing anyway, cause it isn't used after that, so that should speed up any tests done, not cleaning the cache I mean.

True but if someone wants to confirm it they can try either or both. 1. Disable Prefetching, 2. Clean the Prefetch Folder, 3. Disable Prefetching and Clean the Prefetch Folder.

Edited by Mastertech

Well, one system says nothing, and not just one test either We need tests from many people to be able to draw any conclusion. My test is flawed as hell, so a new one would be good anyhow. It's not that hard really, no need to cleanse the cache if you have disabled the prefetch for testing anyway, cause it isn't used after that, so that should speed up any tests done, not cleaning the cache I mean.

True but if someone wants to confirm it they can try either or both. 1. Disable Prefetching, 2. Clean the Prefetch Folder, 3. Disable Prefetching and Clean the Prefetch Folder.

That is probably best, as my installation might have screwed up the rest anyway :P

Another day another site I find mastertech spreading this s***. And guess what he's being shot down again!

Give up Mastertech, I have seen you try to ruin the rep of a good program with this crap. No one cares, get a f***ing life.

Did a google search for mastertech prefetch and got 6 pages of this crap. WOW!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=maste...G=Google+Search

Keep up the good fight, your doing a wonderful job. :thumbup

:realmad:

Edited by I like cleaning my prefetch

but no where does CCleaner say that everything will improve performance.

(even though it does anyway, even with the prefetch thing)

just not for you.

so there is no myth here, and it doesn't apply to your site

. I also found that your site had a fake myth on it yesterday, and you re-worded, its only a matter of time, b4 more of your myths that you busted, once again, get proven to work, infact, so you have reword your site again.

dont make me do a boycott XP Myths, i can, it will be easy, show them google cache of yesterday, then today, come on man. Remove that for the good of the world, CCleaner rocks.