the best reason for Vista, is simply because its up-to-date

ps24eva

Instead of arguing amongst each other and idle speculation and so on, why don't we just wait and see what happens when Vista comes out...

We don't need to wait, the current betas give us a preview of what we're going to see. Albeit with many speed problems (it is beta people) and many features missing.

MS privately released a beta last week that has the majority of the cosmetic features enabled again (ex: the Vista Sidebar) and I can't wait to see this new version. Visually, it's going to be the closet to the final look of Vista.

Of course expect a ton of 'under the hood' improvements, and Microsoft hasn't even begun their optimization phase where they get rid of all the bottle necks.

Anyone who's written code compiled for easy debugging knows this part as well... For example, I've got a program here that has a debug-compiled size of 6,638K, and a "regular" compile size of 400kb. Go figure.

I can't wait for Beta 2... B)

I can't wait for Beta 2... B)
Everything MS releases is just a tease in my eyes until RC1. I like to be an early adopter and when an OS hits RC1 it's safe enough to run as my primary OS. I'm not sure if I will upgrade my XP to Vista at RC1 but I'm considering it.

Although I won't be tempted to run Vista until I can get ahold of a 1600x1200 LCD screen or better because I just can't wait to use the high fidelity UI and imho you need at least 1600x1200 before it really starts to pay off.

FYI: I'm eyeing the Dell 20", and on another tangent I just read more wide screen LCDs factories are going to open in early 2006 that will equate to approx a 30% price drop in theater screens at Q2 2006. I'm willing to wait then (Vista probably won't be RC1 until mid 2006 anyways)

There's just no way it's going to happen.

For one...such programs would have to use the Ximage tool just to READ the mess of data much less extract it...Then it would have to find the files and figure out what goes where. This can be an extremely annoying process if it isn't sorted. I have no idea how the WIM is organized other than the fact that there can be several disc images in such a file format.

Of course it will happen.
It's too complicated and too big of a disaster to figure out.
duh, that's what computers are for.

It this a joke ? :huh:

Nope... XP Gold didn't have support for USB 2.0. That came with SP1. At the time of XP's initial release, the specifications for USB 2.0 weren't complete, so MS decided to leave that out for the time being and add that functionality in later.

I know, I am talking about the first claim. I mean Xp is not obsolete in anyway. This so ridiculous Read Pc mag article about coming vista, you will find out what the new features of Vista: More Graphic, Less Perfomance !

almost all the good features of vista have been abandonned.

There's always that .1% chance that Microsoft finally got something right... :P

I'm hoping (perhaps naively) that all of Microsoft's process improvements (the frequent Vista releases, for example) will result in a better OS out of the box, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll get Vista for my fun machine at home, dual boot it with XP (in case some of my old games don't work in Vista) until they release SP1, and get used to it and enjoy the new features while waiting for it to be secure (this machine stays away from the internet).

Some of us are forced to be early adopters, so that when the people we support get new machines with Vista preinstalled, we actually know what we're troubleshooting. After all, it's hardly moral to suggest that these people spend another $200 to get XP, when Vista comes preinstalled (unless it turns out like WinME, of course...then it'd be entirely worth it).

Vista is up-to-date and XP is old! Microsoft's PR department couldn't have said it better.

If Vista's new technologies don't work in XP, those technologies won't be adopted for a couple of years. If you were unable to host .NET websites on Windows 2000, then .NET would be a lot less popular. If you can't play Blu-Ray on XP, people won't buy them. If you can't use the new Office on XP, people will stick with the old one. If the new DRM only works on Vista then, well, we hate DRM anyway...

For some time, XP will be very much up to date, except for the version number. I will probably be upgrading just to have the latest, but many people and especially corporations stick with XP until there is a budget to buy something new.

You know, I *like* that idea and I really hadn't thought of it. MS's HD-DVD support and refusal to support BluRay might actually hurt that format's chances! Cool!

Jason

I know, I am talking about the first claim. I mean Xp is not obsolete in anyway. This so ridiculous Read Pc mag article about coming vista, you will find out what the new features of Vista: More Graphic, Less Perfomance !

almost all the good features of vista have been abandonned.

What's funny is that I remember a year ago when MS pushed back Vista (then just Longhorn) to 2006 release, people were p***ing and moaning that they shouldn't have to wait 5 years between OS releases. Now all of a sudden it's too soon, LOL :) Poor Microsoft just can't win sometimes, hehe :)

Jason

I think vista should be free :P

mainly cause I never got anything from anti-trust cases, and I feel microsoft has lost my trust, and I have want for reperations :P

Edited by gdogg

I don't see why people even mention Vista's lack of BluRay support. Have any of you guys realized that neither Win2000 nor XP "support" DVD at all?

And guess what, it doesn't matter, that's because you have apps like PowerDVD and a "driver" to support your DVD player/burner. Native support is great, but as you can see you've been living without it for years. You should be happy that Vista will natively play DVD movies and at least 1 of the new HD formats.

Talk about a bunch of pessimists!

If you buy a BluRay burner it will still work in Vista, if you buy a BluRay rom you'll still be able to play your movies, depending on DRM sh!t, and that's where the movie company is to blame, not MS.

PS: how many of you actually use XP's built in CD burning. If you burn CDs, don't use XP's built in burning support and just complained about Vista's lack of BluRay support, you are now officially a hypocrite.

Edited by travisowens

I don't see why people even mention Vista's lack of BluRay support. Have any of you guys realized that neither Win2000 nor XP "support" DVD at all?

And guess what, it doesn't matter, that's because you have apps like PowerDVD and a "driver" to support your DVD player/burner. Native support is great, but as you can see you've been living without it for years. You should be happy that Vista will natively play DVD movies and at least 1 of the new HD formats.

Talk about a bunch of pessimists!

If you buy a BluRay burner it will still work in Vista, if you buy a BluRay rom you'll still be able to play your movies, depending on DRM sh!t, and that's where the movie company is to blame, not MS.

PS: how many of you actually use XP's built in CD burning. If you burn CDs, don't use XP's built in burning support and just complained about Vista's lack of BluRay support, you are now officially a hypocrite.

I agree, plus why include native support when there are still debates ongoing as to the "new" disc format. BluRay looks promising, but who knows, it could be the next beta-max. As far as XP's built in burning feature, I think it's alright for quick drag and drop CD creations--prehaps if you just have to quickly burn a few a files onto a CD, but that's about it. For burning ISOs, bootable CD's, etc, you obviously need extra software.