16 Bit Legacy Support

Crash&Burn

I can't seem to find this anywhere, and the folks here seem to have magical crystal balls with all the good answers ;)

The defaults for most of the settings for HFSLIP appear to be pretty much along how I was running my last NLITE disks, except I kept 16 bit support - as I couldn't find _anywhere_ whether or not Cygwin needed it or not. That and I kept the games ;) Good ole Minesweeper & Freecell hehe.

Maybe someone can tell me if they require IE? or are pretty much standalone. They aren't the best but sentimental and for their size I don't see a reason to nix them, and I still get distracted by em now n then.

Crash&Burn

Just tried Freecell for you on a system without IE - works!

Sorry couldn't find Minesweeper at the moment and now it's re-installing again ;)

Cygwin is not a native Windows component? I'm not sure but you can need it for some programs ported from Linux and you just can place it in system32 during installation (use HFEXPERT folders).

Well the Cygwin1.dll is necessary for some imported programs, but Cygwin installed is one hell of a Command Prompt ;) I just haven't had it back on my box since I switched to Win2K.

Aside from command prompt, used it for sometimes quick editing w/ Pico/Nano, and compiling a "Mud" project, various commandLine archiving - .tar.bz2 can't be beat for compressing mainly text.

Edited by Crash&Burn

cygwin1.dll comes from the Redhat Cygwin (unix under windosw), and nothing to do with native windows.

Even if you don't install the rest of the package, it is still useful, because Linux ports like some mkisofs.exe use it.

Another question, regarding 16 bit support then. If you have a few partitions with files on them, that were created when 16bit support was enabled. Will removing 16bit support have any consequences? They have the dos 8.3 name stored in their MFT. Or will the DosName just get ignored, and/or removed when the files in question are moved/copied to another partition.

regarding 16 bit support then. If you have a few partitions with files on them, that were created when 16bit support was enabled. Will removing 16bit support have any consequences?

no, it won't matter. if they were save on FAT16, FAT32, NTFS 4, NTFS 5, whatever... the files will keep their names unless you have a duplicate name that goes past 8 letters, then it will preserve the ~1 convention. in any case, when you're in windows, the naming will be transparent to you. no harm is done to files when removing the 16bit support.