October 2005 Security Updates

saugatak

@All, the new hfslip version is up. It was a small correction for some directx slipstreaming. The prob was that when HFSLIP is run on a 2k source, it decides which version of directx you are using, and it slipstreams the correct files. Pending future microsoft directx hotfixes, this version should be good for quite sometime (unless I feel like adding in another feature). If anyone has ideas for additional features, please PM me.

I used HFSLIP_51011.cmd but it didn't integrate these hotfixs:

WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-SP1-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe

WU.zip

because people still use IE5 shell files that come with the hotfixes, IE5 is still necessary to support when using my IE removal fileset, and the instructions for slipstreaming IE5 are really only a few extra paragraphs anyway. so don't worry support will not be dropped.

saugatak - thanks for the text fix (incorrect reference on my site). will make that change as soon as i can.

bilou - thanks for the 2003 list. that's a bit of work that makes my life easier.

dziubek - good to see you back. please attach your ERROR_REPORT.TXT, that will help.

the_guy - a windows 2000 list would be great. the thing is, windows 2000 as Oleg_II notes has a few branches now, windows 2000 with IE5 or IE6 and with DX7 or DX9. your list when started will be pinned at the top of this subforum and you will be trusted by a LOT of people to keep the list meticulously updated. now, i'm not saying this because i don't think you can do it, i just wanted to be sure you appreciate the audience your info will have. to put it another way, before HFSLIP merged with FDV's IE removal project, i got about 150 hits on my site per day (webalizer). it was 12,837 average per day for September... with a significant following from around the world, only a fraction of who actually join MSFN... so what i'm saying is "the pressure's on" :D:P

all (this part is a repeat from the old thread)

Supporting HFSLIP (if you want to -- no offense taken if you don't put this in your sig!)

You can put this in your signature of your profile to add an "HFSLIP" icon to the bottom of your posts.

This one features Exroidal:

[url=http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=129][img=http://www.vorck.com/images/hfslip-exroidal.gif][/url]

or this one is a small one

[url=http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=129][img=http://www.vorck.com/images/hfslip-small.png][/url]

It's small and unobtrusive. Let's get word out about this new forum for October. (These logos eat bandwidth fast with the hundreds of views they get (every one of your posts would now carry the logo in the sig, everywhere on MSFN) so I might take the graphic down in November out of necessity, we'll see.)

Again, it's strictly for those who want to -- nothing personal if you don't...

Look in the main forum for details on the logo contest.

Edited by fdv

@fdv,

Regarding the hotfix that saugatak mentioned earlier (IE6.0sp1-KB905495-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe), you seemed to have left it out from the site. Is it included in any other fixes that you added?

Thanks,

Pene

Thats already covered if you have UpdateRollup v2, instead of v1.

Read the KB article it states only applies to Update Rollup 1.

RESOLUTION:

To resolve this problem, install version 2 of Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

I think some people are far too eager to patch their box ;)

Edited by Crash&Burn

@dziubek - What's going on? Welcome back. Haven't seen you post in a while. Since I last heard from you, HFSLIP went under serious reconstruction. I guess I missed a few things, as you pointed out.

a. WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe - HFSLIP had a typo (now corrected and posted)

b. WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-SP1-PLK.exe - you are slipstreaming the incorrect version, grab the version for SP2. For english the filename is WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-ENU.exe, for you is is most likely WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-PLK.exe. Google for it and use that file instead.

c. WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe - This confuses me. Are you sure that your hotfix isn't corrupted? When I try your exact hotfix file, HFSLIP works. I fixed this issue a while ago. Perhaps you should re-download it and replace the one you have.

Please test the current HFSLIP and report back.

Edited by tommyp

@dziubek - What's going on? Welcome back. Haven't seen you post in a while. Since I last heard from you, HFSLIP went under serious reconstruction. I guess I missed a few things, as you pointed out.

a. WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe - HFSLIP had a typo (now corrected and posted)

b. WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-SP1-PLK.exe - you are slipstreaming the incorrect version, grab the version for SP2. For english the filename is WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-ENU.exe, for you is is most likely WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-PLK.exe. Google for it and use that file instead.

c. WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe - This confuses me. Are you sure that your hotfix isn't corrupted? When I try your exact hotfix file, HFSLIP works. I fixed this issue a while ago. Perhaps you should re-download it and replace the one you have.

Please test the current HFSLIP and report back.

a) WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe was integrated corectly :))

b ) YES you are right,I'm slipstreaming the incorrect version,

corectly version is WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-PLK.exe

(WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-SP1-PLK.exe is old version for windows XP PL sp1 :>). BIG THANKS,You have Hawk eye :))

c)WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe-> I re-download this file and replaced the one I have ,but it didn't integrated with my OS :(

p.s I will sent report later,because I write this post at work.

Edited by dziubek

c)WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe-> I re-download this file and replaced the one I have ,but it didn't integrated with my OS :(

p.s I will sent report later,because I write this post at work.

I do have the same problem.

I found a solution for "my" problem:

The KB89046 fix in hfslip:

IF EXIST TEMP\spru0415.dll REN TEMP\spru0415.dll xpsp3res.dll

The filename in german version is spru0407.dll, so I changed the line to this:

IF EXIST TEMP\spru04*.dll REN TEMP\spru04*.dll xpsp3res.dll

The spru04*.dll naming because according to the sp2gdr and sp2qfe inf´s name should always include "04".

Maybe this works for you, too.

@tommyp

May check out other languages and add this "fix" to your GREAT hfslip.

Edit:

KB906569 uses same naming conventions as KB89046 -> KB906569 uses an updated xpsp3res.dll.

Slipstreaming here has to be checked if it works.

Adding cat of KB89046 + registry info, but using new file of KB906569.

Edited by megablast

@megablast - Thanks! I can't test other languages... Not enough time in the day to test all of them! :). Thanks for getting to the bottom of that hotfix... should be a non-issue now. BTW, you'd be amazed how many errors I have uncovered with HFSLIP. It's freaking amazing that a company as large as m$ft has such poor configuration management. I'll update the next version... BTW, the new version will have some cool stuff.

@megablast - Thanks! I can't test other languages... Not enough time in the day to test all of them! :). Thanks for getting to the bottom of that hotfix... should be a non-issue now. BTW, you'd be amazed how many errors I have uncovered with HFSLIP. It's freaking amazing that a company as large as m$ft has such poor configuration management. I'll update the next version... BTW, the new version will have some cool stuff.

;) No problem.

I found another problem with an update, not hotfix: KB906569 (updates msconfig and xpsp3res.dll).

Could you please take a look?

I played a bit with hfslip and could get no solution for this. It is an SP2QFE update, and hfslip deletes

SP2QFE folders and infs, to get it working I had to create an switchless installer.

I didn´t want to change the type 1 slipstreaming code.

Maybe you can find something.

Edit:

A suggestion: Playing around with this issue, I got an idea for hfslip:

While slipstreaming KBxxxxxx.exe and there is no filecopy to WORK\I386X could you may include a kind

of "debug.log" for this? So it will be easier to find those kind of errors.

The "normal" updates are not scanned by hfnetchk or mbsa and there is no guarentee that they are really integrated.

And there are many of them, as you can see here:

http://www.pc-experience.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=12223

Edit2:

Um :( , this is even more worse then I thought. The following os updates, non sec, don´t get integrated when using hfslip (placed in HF folder):

All these are SP2QFE type ONLY updates. There are probably more.

Some of them are not needed (if you don´t use OfficeXP, Adobe Premiere etc.), but some of them are.

Edited by megablast