[Discontinued] AutoRIS V2.10

@dgould393, the line that you quoted is for attaching to the server via WMI for the purpose of restarting the BINL service. You won't find a directory root\cimv2 on the hard drive. It's a reference to the tree structure within WMI. You can use WMI for about a million different things and the beauty behind it is that the syntax is identical whether your manipulating something on the local host or a remote host.

@jguderian, I'm having a hard time getting a handle what exactly is going on. Have you run the RVM Integrator against a standard XP SP2 source? Meaning not a RIS image, just a plain old SP2 source. If it's not working in that fashion, then you're having some issues I can't really support. You may want to pay a visit to RyanVM's forums and see if there are any solutions over there.

EDIT: I didn't write the integrator program, Siginet did, however from what I've seen and everything that I've read, it doesn't seem even remotely possible that the Integrator would mess around with your local Windows directory unless you somehow pointed it to go there.

Edited by RogueSpear

RogueSpear: I just finished testing the Integrator & **edit to remove referenced s/w** against a XP SP2 slipstreamed install from my F: drive, and within the C:\Ristemp folder that I run autoris from. The integrate process that I ran from the F: drive worked, but the one from the C:\ristemp folder did not. I got the "access denied" messages again referring to the C:\Windows directory.

I went through the same process on the C: drive as I did on the F: drive, so Im not sure what the difference is.

This obviously is not your problem, so I'll post this in the RyanVM forum for the integrator beta.

I appreciate your patience, and help. Now I can actually use your script for my RIS install! :)

Edited by jguderian

RogueSpear:

Do you install the .net & java switchless installers from Ryan VM with your RIS install? After your script successfully completed with the RVM pack integrated I tried to expand the svcpack.in_ file, and make the appropriate changes for .nt & java. I then copied the svcpack.inf file back to the RIS image, but now when I boot to the RIS image it says that I dont have the necessary NIC drivers.

Is this even possible using RIS? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

With RIS I always install everything possible with Group Policy instead of switchless silent installers. This way you can uninstall things enterprise wide with a couple of mouse clicks. Now regarding your svcpack.inf file. If you run through AutoRIS completely and then decide that you're going to change your svcpack.inf file it can get sticky. Part of what AutoRIS does is optimize your RIS image by compressing all .inf and .pnf files. But this comes with a price. If you screw around with any of the compressed .inf files and then decompress them, it will invalidate the corresponding .pnf file (or the corresponding compressed version of it which is a .pn_). Check out my RIS Guide V2 for a complete explanation of this.

A not so elegant, but workable solution to what you want to do is this: After the RVM Integrator has completed, do not click on OK. Instead go into the i386 directory in RISTEMP, uncab svcpack.in_, make your modifications, recab it back again. Now click on OK to continue. This way when AutoRIS does all of the regenerating of .pnf files, the svcpack.pnf will correctly correspond to your svcpack.inf.

An alternate solution would be to premodify svcpack.inf prior to running AutoRIS. The above paragraph came out of my brain still thinking that RVM overwrites your svcpack.inf file, but it no longer does this.

Thanks for the input. I use GPO software installation only for Office XP, and I really like how quick it is. Since Ive got SMS 2003 Ive somewhat moved away from GPO's for software, but to be honest I like the GPO installations better than SMS for newly installed PC's.

I'll consider this for the .net & java. I just dont have a lot of time (or expertise)to create new installers that are GPO compatible. So I somewhat grab the "pre-made" stuff from these forums to include in either SMS or the pre-install of a new build.

Just out of curiosity. Do you create a policy for each piece of software, or do you include the software within one of your already made GPO's? Im just curious from a design perspective.

For now, I may just edit the svcpack.inf file prior to running autoris.

You know the weird thing is, I did remove the corresponding .pnf file, and I had RIS create a new .pnf file from the modified svcpack.inf file, but I still got that pesky NIC problem. Its as if my decompressing the svcpack file invalidated the image as a whole. Its not necessary for the svcpack.inf file to be compressed, so Im not sure why this didnt work. This is odd to me, because Ive always been able to add NIC drivers to the image without causing problems.

Thanks for the response.

I assign software to GPOs at the OU level. I've got some GPOs that deploy over 30 different pieces of software to any computer within. It works out nice.

Ok, where you said that you regenerated a .pnf file for the svcpack.inf, that's where your real problems are. What actually happens is pretty hard to explain, but it invalidates all compressed .pnf files when you reboot the BINL service. Not the most intelligent design I know. If you simply decompress the svcpack.in_, delete the compressed .pnf file, modify svcpack.inf and leave it uncompressed, things may work. It's hard to say for certain though.

Best to be safe and just follow strict guidelines or start from fresh with a new image.

jguderian

I use OemPreinstall to put .net, java, Adobe reader, shockwave, etc. into my machines. That way when one of them gets updated I just put the new one in my install directory.

RogueSpear

The second install using Ryan's older updatepack went just great. By the way, things are much faster installing when I use AutoRIS :thumbup. Tomorrow or maybe next week, I am going to try to to use Bashrat the Sneaky's DriverPacks.

Great Work!

RogueSpear

I am on to trying to use BTS driver Packs. Do I still need to follow your guide to unattended RIS instructions for intergrating the driver packs? I understand about changing the directories around to get everything into the $OEM$ folder. What about the dosnet, presetup, and txtsetup files?

Integrating the BTS Driver Packs at this point is big pain. Basically you need to let AutoRIS just sit there when the dialog box appears telling you to perform the BTS integration, and then go do it. And yes, you should follow the directions in the RIS guide - to a point. Don't go too far in the guide or you'll overshoot what AutoRIS will attempt to do after you click on OK.

You really only need to do a full slipstream of BTS if you want/require integration of the mass storage drivers. In all of my RIS environments, this isn't necessary (yet). If you do need this, then you'll need to run the RUN_ME.BAT file in stage three of BTS integration. Either way, you need to move files around as I describe in the guide in order to successfully execute a Method 2 during setup.

I know that this is rather confusing if you're not too familiar with what BTS is doing, but once you see what's going on, it's really all very logical. I am hoping for a much more simplified routine once BTS releases his next gen integrator. Until then we'll have to make due with a slightly clumsy procedure since the driver pack integration never really took RIS into consideration.

I've been increadibly preoccupied with some other issues lately, but I'm hoping to put out a new rev of AutoRIS in the next week. I'm going to include some Intel & RealTek drivers in the release to automatically integrate. So here's callout to anyone with extra NIC drivers that you have verified as working with RIS. I know the Intel & RealTek that I have work and I'd like to keep the included drivers in the class of "verified as working."

Sucess!!! :thumbup BTS' DriverPacks integrated into my flat file. The WatchDriverSigningPolicy was not running. The presetup command was calling it from the root instead of \D. This made me wonder if the SetDevicePath.exe was firing. I changed the 2 ines in the PreSetup.cmd to %SYSTEMDRIVE%\D\SetdevicePath.exe %SYSTEMDRIVE%\D and %SYSTEMDRIVE%\D\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe.

After that I made my riprep image. Copied the ntoskrnl.exe into the flat image (got that 'cannot not locate a flat image that matches' error) and wrote it to a different machine.

It is a Happy Day :w00t: Thanks for all of your help.

As far a nic drivers go, I have some machines that use Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit controller. The inf file needs to be modified to be used in RIS. After I copied the sys and modified inf files to NIC_Drivers and finished up, the compressed files would not run. I manually copied them from the NIC_Drivers to the I386 directory on the RIS server, killed the b57win32.pn_, b57win32.sy_ and b57win32.in_ files, and restarted the binl service and everything worked just fine.

@dgould393, if you email me the drivers (with your modified .inf file) I'll put them in the next version along with the Marvel drivers that krismark posted. Now I should put in a disclaimer here that I can personally vouch for only the Intel and RealTek drivers since I don't have access to other workstations in a RIS environment.

I'll PM you my email addy so you can fire those off. Oh and congrats on your success! :D

I haven't emailed the drivers yet since I have been having some problems. Tried the base image on another type of machine and had more nic problems (corupted sys file). I am going to play some more. Currently trying to build an image by putting a good sys file into your NIC_Drivers directory.

V1.03 - 10/30/2005

- Add custom user .SIF files to the \Templates directory. I have included a sample .SIF file which will be copied by AutoRIS. Users can either edit this file to suit their needs or replace it entirely with one or more of their own .SIF files. The default .SIF file, RISTNDRD.SIF, is deleted by default.

- Drivers for Intel Pro, Marvel Yukon, and RealTek are now included with AutoRIS. The .SYS files are not compressed in the distribution in order to achieve greater compression of the AutoRIS download file. The .SYS files are compressed during execution of AutoRIS.

- I have a new Addon Pack for use with RyanVM's Update Pack. I had contemplated including it directly in the AutoRIS download, but opted against that as the file size would have been a bit much for something not everyone will use. You can read more about it and download it over at RyanVM's Site.

Edited by RogueSpear