[Discontinued] AutoRIS V2.10

AutoRIS V2.10

2006-04-07

David Stein aka RogueSpear

AutoRIS V2.10 - 2.76MB

MD5: 62F36324F011B8B9D61128068C309514

NOTICE - 08/08/2006

I will leave this final version of AutoRIS available for download until 12/31/2006 for those that are interested for one reason or another. Understand however that the DriverPacks functionality will not work at all with the new generation of that project. Furthermore, I will no longer be updating AutoRIS since it has been succeeded by my new utility AutoImage. The source code for AutoRIS is free for use and / or modification by anybody with a few conditions:

• You do not purport any modified code to be completely of your own making. My name or handle should still be referenced in the source code.
  • You will NOT sell the source code or any modified version of it.
  • You will NOT include the source code or any modified version of it as a part of some other commercial software.
  • You absolutely CAN include the source code or any modified version of it as a part of an open source software project.
  • YOU will provide support for and take responsibility for any technical issues the arrise from using the source code or a modified version of it.

If you have seen my guide to unattended RIS then you will have an idea of what this utility will do. What is in the guide has been automated now, but I would recommend it for reading if you are involved with RIS deployments and plan on using AutoRIS. It's always a good idea to know what's going on in the background. Please make sure that you have read this entire post and the documentation inside of the AutoRIS.ini file prior to asking for help.

Features

• Prepare your RIS image for compatibility and processing with RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack, nLite, XPize (as an nLite hotfix), and Bashrat the Sneaky's Driver Packs.
  • Perform the integration of RyanVM's Update Pack.
  • Automatically launch nLite and resume upon completion.
  • Automatic Method 2 integration of the BTS Driver Packs.
  • Includes added support for new model Broadcom, Intel, Marvel, and RealTek NIC adapters.
  • Add your own new NIC drivers that are not natively supported by RIS.
  • Add custom user .SIF files to the \Templates directory.
  • Will automatically restart the BINL service on your RIS server.
  • Will upload the image back to the RIS server, including the $OEM$ directory.
  • Recompress the .INF and .PNF files directly on the server.
  • Easily configurable by modification of an .ini file.
  • Integration of the Microsoft .NET Framework V1.1 SP1 and V2.0.
  • Integration of the Microsoft Visual J# Redistributables V1.1 and V2.0
  • Ready made cmdlines.txt with accompanying cmdlines.vbs script and ready made VBscripts for RunOnceEx. No script modification is necessary. All script settings are now stored in an .ini file. This makes for a total end to end RIS solution. Please visit this thread for documentation regarding the scripts.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Decompress the AutoRIS.7z archive directly to the root of a hard drive. The hard disk should have enough free space on it for a fresh RIS image in addition to enough space to perform RVM and nLite operations.
  2. After decompressing the archive you will have a directory called AutoRIS. This directory is where everything will take place. Copy the RVM Integrator and whatever update packs you use to the AutoRIS directory. The Windows XP SP2 ident files are included with AutoRIS and they should not be deleted.
  3. Filecase.exe is required and must be within your system path for AutoRIS to function properly. It is included with AutoRIS, but you can just drop in %SystemRoot% or somewhere else within your path. If you already have filecase.exe, feel free to delete the copy inside the AutoRIS directory.
  4. Open AutoRIS.ini in any text editor and edit the entries to suit your environment. Many of the default settings will be fine for most users, but some of the paths that are specific to YOUR network must be set before running AutoRIS.
  5. An example custom .SIF file, SP2.SIF, is included. You may edit this file to suit your environment. You can put as many of your own custom .SIF files in the AutoRIS directory as you like. They will all be integrated into your RIS image.
  6. Before running AutoRIS, you should generate an integrator.ini file for the RVM Integrator to use. A sample integrator.ini is included so that all you need to do is modify it to your needs. NOTE: AutoRIS requires at a minimum V1.05 of the RVM Integrator.
  7. nLite V1.0 RC7 has been tested. Included is RIS.ini, the settings file from nLite that I personally use with RIS deployments. You are welcome to inspect it, modify it, and use it as you see fit. Please note that it removes all languages except US English.
  8. Adjust the settings in AutoRIS.ini for BTS DriverPack integration. Make sure to read the documentation contained in AutoRIS.ini for how to do this properly.
  9. On your RIS server, after creating a fresh image, you should have a directory named "i386". The first time AutoRIS is executed, it will check for this directory, and rename it to "i386-Original". AutoRIS will then copy down it's source files from there. You should leave this directory in place for future use. When a new version of RVM, nLite, or BTS comes out, you can then just run AutoRIS and it will grab the default image from i386-Original.
  10. Once you have everything edited and your files in place, just double click on AutoRIS.vbs. This should go without saying, but the script obviously won't work if you have disabled WSH.

Please note the following:

• This tool was designed around and tested on a RIS image created with Windows Server 2000, but I have received multiple reports of full compatibility with Windows Server 2003, including SBS.
  • AutoRIS must be executed using a domain account that has administrative rights to your target RIS server. This must include the right to stop and start the BINL service.

Change Log

V2.10 - 04/07/2006

- As it turns out, I didn't inroduce a bug with the WMI method of BINL service restarting. It does seem that PsService is the more reliable method. I really don't know what method PsService is using to do it's thing, but it must not be WMI.

- All NIC drivers have been updated.

- Experimental support for nVidia nForce NICs has been added. Since I don't have any such hardware, I can't do any testing of this myself. As always, your feedback is welcome.

- The cmdlines and RunOnceEx script have continued to undergo extensive updating. For a complete description and documentation of the scripts please visit this thread.

V2.00 - 03/26/2006

- Finally I broke down and put the code in to do a Method 2 BTS DriverPack integration. Method 2 is the only one supported and will be the only one supported until the next gen BTS Slipstreamer is released. In order for the integration to work you must use the Method 2 Helper Addon that I include with either the RyanVM Integrator or nLite. In order to get the DriverPack Sound packs to function properly with HD sound adapters, you must integrate RyanVM's Post SP2 Update Pack with either the RVM Integrator or nLite.

- I completely reworked all of the scripts. These will be better documented shortly in another thread which I will link to. This new set of scripts is completely modular. They will work with either a RIS or CD/DVD based install. There are two basic requirements - you must use my cmdlines.vbs script and the file 999_settings.ini must be located in $OEM$\$1 (for RIS) or %CDROM$\OEM (for CD/DVD). If there is a script that you don't want to use in RunOnceEx, just leave it out - everything is autodetected now. Some initial documentation is located in the 999_settings.ini file.

- There is now a choice between using either WMI or SysInternal's PsService to restart the BINL service. This will hopefully eliminate the issues with Windows Server 2003 throwing up a permissions error. The selection is a setting in AutoRIS.ini. Due to licensing restrictions I am unable to include PsService with the AutoRIS distribution. You can download it from SysInternals directly here.

V1.52 - 02/10/2006

- The supplemental NIC drivers have been updated. There is still a conflict between the latest revisions of RealTek's NICs and their older integrated NICs. If you need to support only the older versions, you should remove the updated RealTek drivers from the NIC_Drivers folder.

- Automation for a full BTS DriverPack slipstream has been removed. In place is the old style "pause and wait" where you must perform the slipstream/integration on your own.

- The nLite sample .ini file has been updated to reflect nLite V1.0 RC6.

- Added Restricted Sites Zone protection to the cmdlines.reg registry tweak file.

V1.51 - 01/12/2006

- Corrected a fairly serious bug in which not all compressable files were being compressed.

- The location of additional NIC drivers to be integrated is no longer user definable in AutoRIS.ini.

- All VBscripts have been updated and there is one less reboot required during the setup now.

- There is no more Full and Lite versions. The AutoRIS download now includes all of the VBscripts.

- Links are provided for the additional addons and installers.

V1.50 - 12/31/2005

- AutoRIS settings are now retrieved from an .ini file, AutoRIS.ini.

- More and better error checking and handling.

- Deleting the default .SIF file, RISTNDRD.SIF, is now an option (set in AutoRIS.ini).

- Updated existing NIC drivers, and added support for Broadcom NICs.

- Integrating additional NIC drivers is now an option (set in AutoRIS.ini).

- VMware or VirtualPC, if present will be launched automatically after the BINL service is restarted on the RIS server.

- nLite is now automatically launched.

- Final compression of .INF and .PNF file is now optional.

- AutoRIS now indicated that it is terminating both at the completion of processing and when it encounters path errors.

- A "Full" version of AutoRIS is now available for download. This version includes support for cmdlines.txt, RunOnceEx, automatic integration of .NET runtimes, and more.

V1.03 - 10/30/2005

- Add custom user .SIF files to the \Templates directory. I have included a sample .SIF file which will be copied by AutoRIS. Users can either edit this file to suit their needs or replace it entirely with one or more of their own .SIF files. The default .SIF file, RISTNDRD.SIF, is deleted by default.

- Drivers for Intel Pro, Marvel Yukon, and RealTek are now included with AutoRIS. The .SYS files are not compressed in the distribution in order to achieve greater compression of the AutoRIS download file. The .SYS files are compressed during execution of AutoRIS.

V1.02 - 10/13/2005

- More error trapping, couple of minor modifications, and a lot of testing.

- Changed the defaults to drive letter C:\ as this seems to be much more popular than D:\.

V1.01 - 10/12/2005

- Tag files for Windows XP SP2 and filecase.exe are now included in the AutoRIS download. Tag file detection has been removed completely. Removal of the tagfiles from the AutoRIS temp directory could prevent RVM and nLite from properly functioning.

Edited by RogueSpear

Yea and I'll have to get BTS integration put in ;) You're a bigger man than me for tackling that one as smooth as you did.

I'm sure you'll manage to work it in soon enough. The real question - as you've mentioned above - is how are things going to change with BTS driverpack BASE. It could make things a lot easier, or it could become a much bigger problem in the short term.

I personally need to rebuild a RIS image on a monthly basis (I guess you need a quick turnaround too) so I'm hoping it will be a nice, smooth transition to code for.

Cheers :),

Andy

Getting a Script error. see attachment

Running from XP SP2 to a Windows SBS 2003 Server

from AutoRIS.vbs

Const RISSERVER = "sbs01.krismark.local"

Const RISIMAGE = "\\sbs01.krismark.local\Reminst\Setup\English\Images\AUTORIS"

Const RISTEMP = "e:\RISTEMP"

Const RVMEXE = "e:\RISTEMP\RVM_Integrator_1.0RC8.exe"

from integrator.ini

[settings]

UpdatePack=e:\RISTEMP\RVMUpdatePack1.3.1.cab

AddonPacks=e:\RISTEMP|RVMAddonsFull_1.0.cab|RVMAddonsWMP10_1.0.cab

Source=e:\RISTEMP\

Destination=e:\RISTEMP\

Regards

post-23177-1129076166_thumb.jpg

The error seems to be indicating that you do not have a Windows XP SP2 CD in your CD-ROM (or an .ISO file of such mounted with something like Daemon Tools). AutoRIS attempts to copy the tag files over to the RISTEMP directory since RVM (and maybe nLite) need them in order to function properly.

In the next version I'll throw in some code to check and see if those files are already there and if they are not there and there is no XP SP2 source available the script will allow you to put a CD in and continue. For now though, just make sure you have a CD in the drive.

Yes, if the executable for the RVM integrator is not found, AutoRIS will just skip over that section completely. The same with nLite. I do have a mandatory pause for BTS at the moment because I'm still not sure how that integration will take place.

Great.

BTW still getting error in line 84 with Windows XP SP2 CD in CD-ROM ( tried virtual cd as well)

Is there a specific Drive Letter being Looked for ( mine is S:)

Edit.

Looks like this error happens after tag files are copied. WIN51 & WIN51IP are there. What other files do you require ?

Edited by krismark

Ok, the script looks for all four tag files on an XP SP2 CD which are "WIN51", "WIN51IP", "WIN51IP.SP1", and "WIN51IP.SP2". Are all of these files on your CD? I can say that I've never had this problem before and I certainly had a few in the development of Virgin 1.0.

EDIT: Looks like I was posting as you were editing. And from your edit it appears the two of the tag files are missing from your distro CD.

Edited by RogueSpear

He should have a re edit version ready in a day or so that shoud take care of that problem.

But In The mean Time Could you try this script and see if it read your CD Correct

Save As CDCheck.Vbs

Dim ws, fs,CDdrv, Inta : Inta = 0

Set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set Drv = Fs.Drives

Function CDCheck

For Each strDrive In Drv '''' Set The Drive Letter

If strDrive.DriveType = 4 Then '''' CD Or DVD drive

CDdrv = strDrive.DriveLetter

End If

Next

Do Until Inta = 5 '''' Loop Until True Or It Will Exit And Close

Inta = Inta + 1

If fs.FileExists(CDdrv & ":\Win51") Then

ws.Popup "Confirm Correct CD" & vbCrLf & CDdrv & ":\" ,5,"Confirm CD",0 + 32

Exit Do

Else

ws.Popup "This Is Not The Correct" & vbCrLf & "CD Or DVD, Place The Correct" &_

vbCrLf & "CD OR DVD In The Drive" & vbCrLf & CDdrv & ":\", 5, "Missing CD", 0 + 32

Wscript.sleep 7000

If Inta = 5 Then

ws.Popup "The defualt Time Out Has occur" & vbCrLf & "Preparing to Exit" &_

vbCrLf & "Please Rerun This With The " & vbCrLf & "Proper Cd Inserted In The Cdrom", 5, "Time Out Error", 0 + 32

Exit Do

Exit function

End If

End If

Loop

End Function

CdCheck

Edited by gunsmokingman

gunsmokingman:

What does this mean/prove ?

RogueSpear:

Deleted reference to WIN51IP.SP1, now getting this:

EDIT:RogueSpear: Error line 114, When were you going to tell us we needed filecase.exe in the path. ??

post-23177-1129091030_thumb.jpg

post-23177-1129091510_thumb.jpg

Edited by krismark