Snaggletooth Continued

BFH

It's been running for a while now. I still think its slow on a P3-500 :) .

I installed Systemworks 2003. There was an error on a system file that was wrtite protected and could't be replaced. Every time I start up, I now get an error message on the trashcan protection. Oh well. The rest of the apps, including the virus protection, seem to work fine. Sharing files and dirs over the home network works flawlessly, although they're still fiddling with the filing system. This might cause headaches in later releases, but so far so good.

I was apprehensive about installing Partition magic, but I did it anyway. I've resized the primary partition and there were no hickups. Amazing.

A friend suggested theat trying to uninstall some of the stuff might bring everything down. I'll try that.

'Next up is the installation of a newsreader. Lets see where that gets us.

Oh, and I want a decent defragmentation tool.

I'll let you know how I fare.

Pete.

I forgot,

For obstinate proggies that refuse to install, there's now a 'XP compatability mode' added to the 95, 98 and 2000 modes. I don't know if this bodes well for the future, but I had to use it to get Partition Magic installed. It did work, however.

BFH

Give up on it, it's not really meant to be used as a Primary OS at all. It's in very early stages of development, and nothing will work perfectly on it.

Wait until it's in its beta stages, it will become more usuable like it was in the days of the Windows XP betas. :)

As with many Microsoft Alpha/Beta Operating Systems, these things may not work as advertised, work properly OR *work at all* if you can at least get LongHorn to complete installation and run then you are already ahead of the game. Things don't run right on LongHorn? That's the fact of life, nothing will run as advertised on LongHorn or at all -- It's just *THAT* good still ;P