A+ notes

el_rob3

I passed A+ some months ago. And I can tell you that there are no notes, per se, that can give you all the knowledge you need to pass the two tests. You need to know the stuff for real, not just having memorized certain words, phrases, charts, tables, statistics, techniques, or practices.

To pass those exams you have to:

- Study an appropriate textbook, or several,

- Work intensively with all varieties of computers, OS's, peripherals, and media,

- Work through hundreds of practice questions, and research in detail the areas that you didn't do well on,

- Sleep well the nights before the exams (don't do both hardware and software on the same day or you'll drive yourself crazy),

- Be mentally prepared to fail the first time through. Then, if you have to, regroup and come back.

There are many web sites that offer A+ practice questions and related materials for a reasonable price. There again, they're not a substitute for real experience and knowledge, just an additional help.

I passed A+ some months ago. And I can tell you that there are no notes, per se, that can give you all the knowledge you need to pass the two tests. You need to know the stuff for real, not just having memorized certain words, phrases, charts, tables, statistics, techniques, or practices.

To pass those exams you have to:

- Study an appropriate textbook, or several,

- Work intensively with all varieties of computers, OS's, peripherals, and media,

- Work through hundreds of practice questions, and research in detail the areas that you didn't do well on,

- Sleep well the nights before the exams (don't do both hardware and software on the same day or you'll drive yourself crazy),

- Be mentally prepared to fail the first time through. Then, if you have to, regroup and come back.

There are many web sites that offer A+ practice questions and related materials for a reasonable price. There again, they're not a substitute for real experience and knowledge, just an additional help.

Huh. I thought that the A+ test was a joke, frankly. I was in and out of both the hardware AND software portions of the test in 20 minutes. The hardware knowledge you need is pretty basic, and the Windows questions are something any Admin should know anyway.

Jason

Then you're a better man than I.

The purpose of this topic, I think, wasn't to boast, but to provide guidance.

Sorry, didn't intend to boast, only to say that he shouldn't have trouble with A+ at all if he build a computer, make it work, troubleshoot basic memory/graphics/drive problems and configure & troubleshoot the OS. The Windows tests (2000 or XP) are actually tougher than the entirety of the A+, IMHO, but that's mostly because a lot of the questions involve trivia that you wouldn't necessarily need to use on a day to day basis (example: What happens to file permissions when you copy a file from one NTFS partition to another? What if you copy it to a different physical NTFS drive? What happens if you move the file instead of copying it? What happens to a file's permissions when you move it from an NTFS volume to a FAT32 volume?)

Long story short: It ain't that hard, you can do it, man! :)

Jason

Edited by JasonGW

A+ doesn't seem too difficult to do, I will probably do it some day.

My problem isn't the exams, but to find somewhere to do the tests without having to go through some expensive course first.

From what I can recall of the A+ tests, a lot of it had to do with trivia. For instance, knowing the IRQ settings for particular devices, and what IRQ's are NOT used. I had an obscure question about what grade of cable was used in 10Base-T networks. People who haven't migrated from Windows 95A to Windows 95-OSR2, to Windows 98 will have some challenges. When did FAT32 become available, or long file names? Does anybody remember what the voltages are relative to a laser printer, or the names of the stages?

Bear in mind that the vast majority of people trying to pass these tests aren't Windows Admins. They're people hoping to become Windows Admins.

You're quite right that many of those questions aren't important questions in today's world. But they're important to pass those tests. For someone who's searching for a quick and dirty way to pass them I say "there isn't one." Do the time.

From what I can recall of the A+ tests, a lot of it had to do with trivia. For instance, knowing the IRQ settings for particular devices, and what IRQ's are NOT used. I had an obscure question about what grade of cable was used in 10Base-T networks. People who haven't migrated from Windows 95A to Windows 95-OSR2, to Windows 98 will have some challenges. When did FAT32 become available, or long file names? Does anybody remember what the voltages are relative to a laser printer, or the names of the stages?

Bear in mind that the vast majority of people trying to pass these tests aren't Windows Admins. They're people hoping to become Windows Admins.

You're quite right that many of those questions aren't important questions in today's world. But they're important to pass those tests. For someone who's searching for a quick and dirty way to pass them I say "there isn't one." Do the time.

Absolutely right about the trivia there, too. I remember the IRQ questions as asking what each IRQ is for (RTC, Timer, Mouse, KB, etc.) and a question about whether IRQ's are software or physical (Physical, of course, provided by a pair of IC's on every mobo).

Anyway, definitely take the time to study. One of the reasons A+ is so easy to pass if you study well, too, is that it's an adaptive exam. Get the first 20 questions (out of 50) right and you're done ;)

Jason

A+ isn't adaptive anymore. There are 55 or 60 questions to be answered within 90 minutes, with an "up or down" vote at the end of it. I'm told that while the adaptive test was stringent, it was deemed unfairly cut-throat (Oh so you don't know your IRQ's huh? We'll ask a bunch of IRQ questions then). They had to let somebody pass eventually.

When I wrote it I needed 515 out of 900 on the hardware test, and 505 on the software, (Out of 900 with a minimum of 100). Nobody told me how I got the first 100 or what it meant). Nobody tells you what each answer is worth.

Adaptive or not, the exam has a certain percentage of questions in each area. The CompTIA site lists those percentages clearly. As posted way above, check out their site for the best info.

A+ isn't adaptive anymore. There are 55 or 60 questions to be answered within 90 minutes, with an "up or down" vote at the end of it. I'm told that while the adaptive test was stringent, it was deemed unfairly cut-throat (Oh so you don't know your IRQ's huh? We'll ask a bunch of IRQ questions then). They had to let somebody pass eventually.

When I wrote it I needed 515 out of 900 on the hardware test, and 505 on the software, (Out of 900 with a minimum of 100). Nobody told me how I got the first 100 or what it meant). Nobody tells you what each answer is worth.

Adaptive or not, the exam has a certain percentage of questions in each area. The CompTIA site lists those percentages clearly. As posted way above, check out their site for the best info.

Oh, that's too bad they got rid of the adaptive. I wonder what the ratio was of people passing to failing within the first 20.

Ah, well, still, 55-60 in 90 minutes isn't so bad. Now, the *multi-page* questions in the Active Directory Infrastructure test...*those* were a nightmare ;)

Jason

I believe you're now talking about MCSE exams. That's a whole 'nuther matter, and outside the scope of this thread.

I said earlier 10Base-T networks. I meant 10Base-5 networks. You never know what you're gonna get.

Edited by aussiecanuck46

A+ is easy, ust hope you don't get a test that acts almost all printer questions like I did. Passed it but not by much. The only people that know printers that well are those that work on them all the time. A+ is a test of basic knowledge anymore. They have gotten aware from asking the trivia like questions. So if you have real life experience you'll be fine. I took both tests one after the other and passed both. It just depends on how well you take tests and how well you know your stuff.