Windows Components

tain

@FDV: I asked you about this before the old thread was killed but I don't think I got my question across clearly. So here it goes again :)

How can I add/remove windows *components* after removing IE? I am referring to the dialog box that is normally accessed by launching add/remove programs and then clicking on the "add/remove windows componenets" link over on the left hand side. This allows you to add/remove comonents such as dial-up networking, accessibility, games, screensavers, etc.

I am using MyUninstaller, but it doesn't give you access to add/remove windows *components*...I can't find any software to replace this functionality.

The dialogs I am talking about are illustrated here:

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~help/i/print/win.2.400x261.jpg

and here (ignore the red circle):

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~help/i/print/win.3.350x273.jpg

Does anyone know of a way to reproduce these functions without having IE installed?

hey gents, TazzDevil, after removing IE the add/remove components applet disappears (it is IE dependant).

TAiN - to date i have not found any way of doing this. i'll check my notes but i don't think i ever dealt with this... what i did was make adjustments to SYSOC (this is the file that does Add/Remove Windows Components). you can run the INFs in SYSOC individually using

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 install.inf

IIRC... i'll have to find my notes on this, sorry i don't have a better answer... i just can't remember right now... :blushing:

i am wondering though which optional components you're looking at installing, because remember, my version of SYSOC is darn near empty, with everything commented out...

How can I add/remove windows *components* after removing IE? I am referring to the dialog box that is normally accessed by launching add/remove programs and then clicking on the "add/remove windows componenets" link over on the left hand side. This allows you to add/remove comonents such as dial-up networking, accessibility, games, screensavers, etc.

Does anyone know of a way to reproduce these functions without having IE installed?

Unattended Installation of Windows Components

Here's a simple way you can add or remove system components when deploying Windows 2000 and later

Looks like my question needs more clarification...sorry! :)

I am able to control which components are installed with the OS, but I am concerned about *later* after the OS is installed. What if I need to install one of those components later on? Say that I decide to install a new networking component like DUN after my win2K box is already running...is there a way to access the add/remove components dialog without IE being installed? If not, how would I go about installing those components without the interface (on a running system)?

I don't actually need to do this right now, I am just trying proactively solve this problem for later.

actually, DUN does install :D

you have to run a search and find rasphone.exe and make a shortcut to it on your desktop, but it's there.

but i know what you mean. you'd have to uncomment all lines in SYSOC and then use the site that bilou mentioned in his post above.

keep in mind, too, that we're only talking about adding back:

- the built-in Fax viewer, nor compatable with any other third party software anyway

- iis, ims, iisdbg: all internet information services junk

- IndexSrv_System - i personally guarantee you will never want to use this :P

- FrontPage Extensions

- the laughable windows built-in kodak "imagevue"

etc. (pinball, wordpad).

Edited by fdv

Sample to add IIS later on a W2K Server (although it will not work for you if you have removed IE because i can't imagine IIS will works without IE :P )

IIS.txt

[Components]
iis_common=on
iis_dbg=off
iis_doc=off
ii_ftp=on
iis_htmla=on
iis_inetmgr=on
iis_nntp=off
iis_nntp_docs=off
iis_smtp=on
iis_smtp_docs=on
iis_www=on

[InternetServer]
PathFTPRoot=D:\Inetpub\ftproot
PathWWWRoot=D:\Inetpub\Wwwroot

command to launch from command line (no GUI tool because you have removed IE)

sysocmgr.exe /i:%windir%/inf/sysoc.inf /u:c:\i386\$oem$\iis.txt

• 8 months later...
Note that this approach will not work with the COM+, Distributed Transaction Coordinator, Microsoft Fax, and Windows Media Player services, because these components are not removable.
What if I want one of these?
- the laughable windows built-in kodak "imagevue"

Replacement please?

I tried this anyway as a test with a d:\temp4\comp.txt of-

[Components]

NetOC=Off

and

SYSOCMGR.EXE /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:d:\temp4\comp.txt

and it gave the error box- The application could not be initialized.

Edited by Squeeto

The application could not be initialized.

It seems that the required libraries, etc. got reduced for me with Service_DTC.rem and Service_ComPlus.rem. I'll try it without.

Possibly, sysocmgr.exe should be included with the reducer files.

Yep, sysocmgr works now. Probably WILL work for Fax and Player also...but don't really care to try. Just wanted com for a ridiculous error message that holds up my wireless for 3 minutes after boot. After the next newer driver, I my not need it again.

irfanview. I just wanted Thumbnails View. Thought that this was a Kodak thing.